Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

My groin, my groin...

So I have been dealing with a nagging groin pull/injury for the last two weeks and it doesn’t seem to be getting any better. I have a appointment for an ultrasound tomorrow and an appointment to see the orthopedist on Monday, but since I have no patience I was wondering if anyone has dealt with a similar situation before and what was the outcome?

I literally have laid motionless for the past 6 days (except for stretching in the hot-tub) and my groin feels as bad as it did on day one, so I am starting to think it might be more than just a muscle pull & I am panicking. I have already had to cancel one backpacking trip this week and have many more planned this summer that I really want make but if I can’t walk then what is the point. Hopefully someone has been through this before and can share about their QUICK & SPEEDY recovery, HA-ha - thanx in advance.

PW7
    "In a perfect world I'd have all 10 fingers on my left hand, so I could just use my right hand for punching."

Quote Originally Posted by PowerWhore7 View Post
    So I have been dealing with a nagging groin pull/injury for the last two weeks and it doesn’t seem to be getting any better. I have a appointment for an ultrasound tomorrow and an appointment to see the orthopedist on Monday, but since I have no patience I was wondering if anyone has dealt with a similar situation before and what was the outcome?

I literally have laid motionless for the past 6 days (except for stretching in the hot-tub) and my groin feels as bad as it did on day one, so I am starting to think it might be more than just a muscle pull & I am panicking. I have already had to cancel one backpacking trip this week and have many more planned this summer that I really want make but if I can’t walk then what is the point. Hopefully someone has been through this before and can share about their QUICK & SPEEDY recovery, HA-ha - thanx in advance.

PW7
    Stretching in a hot tub is a hudge no-no! If its a tear your making the problem worse

Sent from my DROIDX using TGR Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

Quote Originally Posted by My Pet Powder Goat View Post
    Stretching in a hot tub is a hudge no-no! If its a tear your making the problem worse
    Right on, thanks for the heads up. I guess I will just remain motionless until my doctors appointment on Monday, this really sucks (in a first world problem type way).
    "In a perfect world I'd have all 10 fingers on my left hand, so I could just use my right hand for punching."

Ya, heat can be risky...if introduced too early it increases swelling and prolongs the healing process. Ice is safe. But get dr. opinion on when to introduce heat. Id suggest waiting for it to heal and is just tight, not tender.... then use the heat to loosen it up and get blood flow going. Good luck!

get paid

Ya, heat can be risky...if introduced too early it increases swelling and prolongs the healing process. Ice is safe. But get dr. opinion on when to introduce heat. Id suggest waiting for it to heal and is just tight, not tender.... then use the heat to loosen it up and get blood flow going. Good luck!
    Man I’ll tell ya - you are pretty sharp my friend! Everything you just described is 100% accurate as to how I am feeling right now. It has been 48hrs since I have put heat on it and although it still hurts it is not nearly as swollen, I think I will grab some ice and ibuprofen, thanks for the well wishes.

Be careful it's not a labral tear. Don't mean to be an alarmist, and perhaps it is just a groin pull. But a labral tear is often misdiagnosed as a "groin pull" ... read somewhere the average diagnosis takes 2 years; mine went undiagnosed for 4. Just sayin'.

If it doesn't get better, insist on a MRI (preferably with contrast). I came back from the initial injury in ~2 months, but it never truly healed. Playing soccer, skiing, rock climbing, etc on a bum hip for 4 years led to a whole host of compensation issues and other injuries that could have easily been avoided if someone would have mentioned it might be something other than a "pulled groin."

Let us know how it turns out.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    Playing soccer, skiing, rock climbing, etc on a bum hip for 4 years led to a whole host of compensation issues and other injuries that could have easily been avoided if someone would have mentioned it might be something other than a "pulled groin."
    This is the exact situation I am dealing with right now. I fractured my heel 5 years ago and I believe it healed improperly and altered my footfall which in turn is giving me these groin and knee issues (knee issue is not that bad, for now). So once I figure out whether this is a hernia, groin pull or a “labral tear” I need to correct the heel & footfall issue - and I think a pair of custom orthotics will do the trick.

I will let you know how this plays out...

Went for my ultrasound and then went to see the orthopedic doctor this week... he informed me that I have a hernia and need to see general surgeon, so back to my primary care doc for another referral. The orthopedic doc took x-rays of my hip to make sure there wasn’t a labral tear (thanx auvgeek) and my heel as well to make sure it healed properly from 5 years ago, all clear.

So, now I need to see the general surgeon and schedule my surgery, any thoughts on this mags? I am leaving for a 100 mile section hike of the PCT on Saturday the 19th and have another trip planned 7/19-7/24 on the High Sierra Trail with Highanxiety that I CAN NOT miss. Has anyone had this surgery? If so, what was the recovery time? I read some bullshit online but I would rather hear from someone who actually went through this and then PROMPTLY returned to outdoor type activities.

Written findings: ”A small fat-containing left inguinal hernia mildly increases in size with a vascular maneuver. The neck of the hernia measures approximately 0.7cm".

FYI: x-ray is NOT enough to rule out a labral tear. If he truly thought an x-ray would give him any info on a labral tear, I would definitely get a second opinion.

Hope it's just a hernia (and it very well could be), but that doesn't change the fact that the doc should have known an x-ray is worthless for diagnosing soft-tissue injuries.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

A general surgeon will be able to tell you if it is a hernia and if it needs surgery. It is a fairly straightforward operation, though some people have problems with the mesh they often put it. Most people can be back to work at moderately stressful work in 4 to 6 weeks. Treatment usually lasts for about two to three months.

If its not a hernia, I would suggest finding a PT or athletic trainer. I pulled a groin muscle about four times in a year with the last time (skating out of a starting gate) preventing me from skiing. I spent months with an AT building up my core and slowly strengthening the adductor muscle. Had problems with it for almost a year.

Hope yours can be corrected. If you have surgery, try to find the best and most experienced you can.

So... I have an appointment with a general surgeon on Monday and I DEFINITELY have a inguinal hernia, hopefully after the surgery I am pain free, healthy, & there is no labral tear. I really hope I am not out for 6 week either, everyone & their mother has been telling me about their hernia operation and how long it took to recover (I got some fucking horror stories!). I usually heal pretty fast so barring an infection I would hope to be back to 100% in 4 weeks, but I haven’t even seen a surgeon yet or been cut open so I know anything can happen (and probably will). Thanks for the replies & interest in my groin area, HA-ha.

Oh, I doubt you managed to tear the labrum at the exact same time you got a hernia. So I wouldn't worry about that anymore.

Good luck with the surgery!

photos

You'll probably be fine. That said, you've got some ambitious plans this summer. If you're not feeling 100%, remember - these places will probably still be there next year.

Words to the wise: wean yourself off the narcs ASAP because they will constipate you, and the last thing you want to be is constipated after hernia surgery. High fiber foods and lots of water.

Quote Originally Posted by Neurodoc View Post
    Words to the wise: wean yourself off the narcs ASAP because they will constipate you, and the last thing you want to be is constipated after hernia surgery. High fiber foods and lots of water.
    Good call. My approach: take a laxative/stool softener (pill form) with the narcotic. I have the dosage dialed so I have regular bowel movements.

photos

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    Oh, I doubt you managed to tear the labrum at the exact same time you got a hernia. So I wouldn't worry about that anymore.

Good luck with the surgery!
    This. Do you know what you were doing when you got the hernia? Make sure you aren't holding your breath when you are exercising / straining.

And remember what neurodoc said, pain pills are for recreation! Wait till you are feeling better, then take them with beer.

The first time I noticed any pain in my groin was as I was stretching for a 20 mile run/hike on the Pacific Crest Trail, I thought it was a tight muscle and it would loosen up after a mile or so. 20 miles later the pain was still there so I thought I just pulled my groin muscle and it would be better in a week or so. So I waited a week and went back out on the PCT for a 50 mile section and it fucking hurt with every step! That is when I figured I had a real problem and got the ultrasound that confirmed the hernia.

I have always done things the hard way (or the incorrect way) like lifting with my knees locked and jerking with my back, you know - stupid shit that you know you are not supposed to do, and I never had any groin pain or problems until now. I used to lift heavy weights in the gym back in the day (squats, deadlifts, etc...) and never had any problems there either, my only problem has been breaking bones (12 in all). I am 37 years old & work out consistently, if I am not in the gym than I am surfing - hiking - or sliding on snow so I really can’t pin down the exact activity that caused the hernia, other than the stretching pain before my hike.

Going to see the surgeon tomorrow, I will let you guys know what he says. Late...

PW7

Saw the surgeon on Monday and going for surgery this morning, I guess the doc thought it was pertinent to cut me open A.S.A.P. He said 4 week recovery time so I am happy to get this over with and back on my feet by July. Thanx for all the interest and the super helpful comments (no really!), I am sure I will have some drug induced rant style posts coming soon.

Good luck and heal up good!....can't wait for the drug induced rants; TGR was founded on them
    get paid

Dude, this is fucked. My balls are swollen to the size of baseballs, it looks like I have a F.U.P.A & I have been fucking wasted for 72hrs straight. Something has to give... I am 3 days post-op and still in serious pain, but I’m a pussy when it comes to dealing with pain so I am sure everything is fine.

How long until this fucking Braveheart torture feeling goes away? Or, when will my balls be small enough for me to walk around without bowing my legs so they have a place to hang?

8 days post-op and I am happy to report my balls are back to normal (still fucking huge but...HA-ha). My wound is healing nicely but after my second 1.5 mile walk of the week I am experiencing a similar pain in my groin that I did pre-op, so fuck me! I have not given up hope as it only 8 days out of surgery and I could just be experiencing post-op aches & pains. For now 9% IPA & Sour Diesel to the dome - first world problems huh.

8 days post-op and I am happy to report my balls are back to normal (still fucking huge but...HA-ha). My wound is healing nicely but after my second 1.5 mile walk of the week I am experiencing a similar pain in my groin that I did pre-op, so fuck me! I have not given up hope as it only 8 days out of surgery and I could just be experiencing post-op aches & pains. For now 9% IPA & Sour Diesel to the dome - first world problems huh.
    uhm,,, why are you running?....fuck if I know; but why not take a couple weeks to heal ?

get paid

uhm,,, why are you running?....fuck if I know; but why not take a couple weeks to heal ?
    Wait, what? I definitely have NOT been running, the doctor told me to start walking up to 2 miles each day and on the 2nd walk I started to experience a similar pain. So naturally I started to panic and complaining to my wife that I am never going to be able to walk without pain again. She said the same thing you did - “take a couple of weeks to heal”...

How are you doing now? Nothing unusual about your recovery as of June 1. It's OK to walk but if you start having a lot of pain, back off. Let your body tell you what to do not your brain. I expect you'll be fine by July 19. I've had two repairs (and done a few thousand) and no limitations on lifting, backpacking, etc, except for old age. Fortunately I have a son to carry my stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    How are you doing now? Nothing unusual about your recovery as of June 1. It's OK to walk but if you start having a lot of pain, back off. Let your body tell you what to do not your brain. I expect you'll be fine by July 19. I've had two repairs (and done a few thousand) and no limitations on lifting, backpacking, etc, except for old age. Fortunately I have a son to carry my stuff.
    I am always glad to hear from someone who has gone through this and was able to resume their normal activities soon after. Today is day 21 post-op and I feel about 75%, I can walk with little to no pain but not for long, I suspect that has something to do with sitting around for 3 weeks. The incision wound and surrounding area is sore as hell though, I only feel comfortable in sweatpants or board shorts, any other clothing rubs the shit out of my wound. The wound is 100% healed and I am cleared to go back in the ocean but I have been keeping a low profile and just hanging by the hot-tub the last couple of days.

I feel like I should be able to return to some of my normal activities by next week and for sure be 100% by July 19th. Probably going to start on the elliptical machine next week at the gym and then go from there, hopefully it all goes well.

The incision wound and surrounding area is sore as hell though, I only feel comfortable in sweatpants or board shorts, any other clothing rubs the shit out of my wound. The wound is 100% healed and I am cleared to go back in the ocean but I have been keeping a low profile and just hanging by the hot-tub the last couple of days.
    I've never had issues with an incision, but I know a PT who uses a snake-bite plunger to "suck" on the scar. Hurts like hell at the time, but she swears by it to break up the scar tissue and expedite recovery. I'd also heard of using liquid vitamin E, but apparently that's been proven ineffective and it causes a rash in 30% of users (so whoever gave me that advice was wrong). This looks semi-promising, though I've never used it and Amazon reviewers have mixed feelings. Thinking about ordering some to try out on my knee and some for my mom who had a recent melanoma removed. Not sure if the difference will just be cosmetic (useless to me, but a big deal to my mom) or if it will actually improve the quality of the tissue.

Anyway, hope you can hike again soon!

photos