Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jibmaster View Post
    Your beta was invaluable the past couple weekends, particularly all the photos you put up of the H-W area. Muchas gracias.

Neglected to add earlier: You're now on the summer route to Avy Gulch, i.e. way the fuck north,northeast to Horse Camp with at least a mile and a half to consistently skinnable snow. Horse Camp had more flies than a unkempt dog park when I passed through around noon. Why anyone hauls overnight gear there from Bunny is beyond me.

Coolest climbing rangers I've ever come across are on Shasta.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyski View Post
    Horse Camp had more flies than a unkempt dog park when I passed through around noon.
    Apparently they love the smell of dirtbag climbers and skiers ... or their feet anyways. My socks at 10,200 feet. Yummmmm.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by linds-o-rama View Post
    OK, staying on topic here: anyone know if Brewer Creek is accessible yet?
    Last week, the first snow drift was a big one, the one that's always there every year.
    I'm too lazy to photoshop this pic, but see the red arrow just to the right of 'Brewer CreekTrailhead'?
    That's were the drift was. Lots of snow covering the road above that.
    You can see the drainage to hike up - right above the 'k' in 'Brewer Creek', with that solid line going through it. There is a trail on hikers left of that gully.

I'll see what has changed from last week, this afternoon and tomorrow...
    Last edited by jibmaster; 06-19-2012 at 10:17 AM.

you can drive all the way to the brewer creek trailhead.

summited and skied shasta yesterday. a bit windy up top but still got to ski the full corn cycle, can't beat 4000' vert of corn! great ski descent, top ten material! smooth skiing found on the skiers right of the route.

Yup it's open. Should have checked the Mt. Shasta Avalanche Center's website. It was open last weekend.
    Anyways, went back to the Hotlum via Brewer Creek.
    Couldn't quite pull off a real early start, but got some good skiing. SUPER SMOOTH on some of the more north facing stuff.
    Should have skinned in the same way I did last week, but followed a boot pack straight up the moraine. Took forever to boulder my way across the choss and scree. Ended up at the very bottom of the Hotlum. Started skinning at 10,000'.
    The bottom of the Hotlum was baking in the sun - very soft.
    Tried skiing across to the right side, but found some depressions that looked like they might be crevasses. So skied down a bit with the skins on and continued across a bit lower. Crossed safely and skinned up the right side again.

Some scum and dried water droplets on my camera lens, so my pics didn't turn out that well. Some are a bit out of focus. Had to delete a bunch of them.
    Here are the ones I was able to save.
    http://www.flickr.com/search/?w=1174...2020%2C%202012

trip delayed due to impending junuary. smoooooooove dat shit out!!!

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    Apparently they love the smell of dirtbag climbers and skiers ... or their feet anyways. My socks at 10,200 feet. Yummmmm.

Ha! I went up Fri and left Sat around noon. I might have stayed another night but I couldn't stomach the black fly invasion in my camp.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3184.JPG 
Views:	84 
Size:	183.2 KB 
ID:	117585
    Basecamp sunset

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3195.JPG 
Views:	64 
Size:	99.3 KB 
ID:	117586
    Sunrise 4am

Send a letter bitching about Everitt Memorial Road access if you want to shred Shasta from Bunny Flat next year.

http://splitboard.com/talk/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13598

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Done and bump, thanks Schralph.

Letters sent and 2 responses received. Bump for the worthiest of causes.

Just skied Shasta yesterday (july 3rd) despite what the Fifth Season Mountaineering says about the skiing "D to C-" we went anyways. We just skied Avalanche Gulch and below the Redbanks the snow was fantastic and smooth until you got in a gully below Lake Helen.

e and n side beta anyone???

fuk yeah jib!!!! thanx. h/w looks better after the weather events the last 2 weeks. much more inspired now. how much walkin to snowline and is it worth parking at the gullly switchback or just go to the trail. i am guessing the gully is prolly free of snow now. thanx again for th invaluable beta

Drive to the TH. Snow line starts around 8500'. But hiking up the gully from the TH is still a good idea. 2 minutes up from the TH you'll find a significant gully(you actually hike down into it).
    There is a trail on the left side of the gully that goes for quite a while. This will lead you straight up. The option still exists to go right just after tree line - for the Hotlum Glacier route

or head left a little earlier and hike left across the drainages to hit the H/W route

The trail leads south, does a few switch backs and keeps heading south until it hits Brewer Creek.
    If you want the H/W route, don't stay on the trail for too long. Just head up.

Have fun!

I've skied from brewer creek only once and I don't remember the route very well. Is the line that comes down from the summit to the set of two trees (highest ones), the best to ski now?
    I'm thinking of heading there on monday and ski it on tuesday.
    Whats the name of the line I was asking about?

Thanks

That's the Hotlum-Wintun route. The snowfield between Hotlum Glacier(R) and the Wintun Glacier (L).
    Pictures from the past few months
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/jibmaster/

the first 1-19 pages are from this spring/early summer at Shasta.

This is the time of year to hit it...

I'll be pulling in to the TH sometime Tuesday.
    Skiing Wed.

Seriously, anyone considering going in from brewer creek the snow awesome from the summit all the way down the Wintun. Smooth steep corn. TR coming soon, with pics

Rod, typically when I've been up there that line you're talking about has been icy and shitty up top. It can be good, but it can also be really bad. The snowfield below it (directly above the 2 trees) can also be variable. Typically the edge of the Wintun is a better line (lookers left, just left of the rock rib). And it sounds like that's currently the case from claymond's post above.

Hey Shasta people, my husband will be coming through in about a week and is looking for someone to ski with on Monday the 23rd. I'm sure he'll want to hit up the N / NW / NE sides, not sure of the specific route or TH he has in mind. He is very competent on the up and the down. If any of you will be around and on the mountain that day (or know anyone who wants to be), let me know!

Decided to skip last week due to triple digit temps. And am skipping this week due to paddling 48 miles in two days next Tue/Wed.
    Anyone got a suncup report? Hoping to get one more trip in July, but my schedule is in jeopardy...
    Fuckin' work! Corporations from NY suck!
    Hopefully everything smooths out.

Hey, look at that! I made a pun! Nice TR claymond/hoglord!

I need more skiing!

Feeling the need to ski in a major way! Lurking and wondering about road trippers from SLC???
    A good friend who guides Shasta in the Spring mentioned it or something in the Cascadian Arc are about the best shots in the lower 48 now. Thanks for the beta so far, just wondering if anyone is going for it in the next two weeks??? Need vert. serious withdrawals in OOTAH.