Page 29 of 97 FirstFirst ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ... LastLast

Thread: What phone now?

Amazon is having a sale today (Prime Day) on 6P and 5x phones and more. I have the 6p, no complaints.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/browse.htm...V2ZBS0DJ85A8PE

$120? Jesus.

I want to order one just to have for when I drop my Moto X like the dumbass that I am.

Verizon came out with new plans last week that are much cheaper and better. I just switched to a new plan online easily, and now will get twice the data for less money, and now have unlimited minutes.

And I was just gonna try a new carrier to save money.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    If the phone comes this week as scheduled, I should be able to test it in Montreal on the 9th. Cutting it sort of close if you want my review before the sale ends on the 10th. Otherwise, I won't be back in Canada until the 12th when I head for the greater Toronto area.
    Thanks. I travel Toronto area. Guelph to be exact. I'm in no rush. The used market here is damned close to the Google price I'm not worried about missing the deal. Maybe they will even go lower 😃
    Would still love to hear about the coverage. Thanks

Dropped my moto X last Sat and crushed the glass. So sad. Bought a used moto X gen 2 for $120 off Ebay and it's rocking and rollin. Should be set for another 3 years.

Prime Day got the best of me. New Moto X Pure 32 gb headed my way in a couple weeks. I switched to iOS two years ago, I really like it but my iPhone (that I got for free from a friend because it had a cracked screen) won't get on 4G anymore, just totally quit. And the camera is fubar now so it's time and I can't justify the stupid high prices of Apple, especially when there is no jailbreak and I can't enable wifi tethering on iOS without it (still have unlimited data with Verizon). Anyone rocking the new Moto X? Will I regret this?
    "The world is a very puzzling place. If you're not willing to be puzzled you just become a replica of someone else's mind." Chomsky

"This system make of us slaves. Without dignity. Without depth. No? With a devil in our pocket. This incredible money in our pocket. This money. This shit. This nothing. This paper who have nothing inside." Jodorowsky

As an update, really digging the new Moto X Pure. It's pretty much stock Marshmallow with a little bit more functionality coming from a moto app that gets good reviews. Popped my Verizon sim in and it's good to go. No restrictions, I don't miss anything except imessage from my iPhone. Screen is awesome. Camera is light years better than my iPhone 5 was. 14 hours of up time with moderate usage, LTE the whole time and BT on. Still has 25% battery left. Turbocharger rocks as well. Android has come a long way since I used it last. Stoked.
    "The world is a very puzzling place. If you're not willing to be puzzled you just become a replica of someone else's mind." Chomsky

"This system make of us slaves. Without dignity. Without depth. No? With a devil in our pocket. This incredible money in our pocket. This money. This shit. This nothing. This paper who have nothing inside." Jodorowsky

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Thanks. I travel Toronto area. Guelph to be exact. I'm in no rush. The used market here is damned close to the Google price I'm not worried about missing the deal. Maybe they will even go lower 😃
    Would still love to hear about the coverage. Thanks
    Heh. We stayed at the Best Western in Guelph next to the U. We were looking at schools for my daughter. Funnily enough, Guelph U was not on the list. It just had a decent hotel rate in a location that was equally horrible for all of the schools we looked at. And knowing nothing about the town, I was pleasantly surprised by it. Who knew?

So, Fi. If you can handle 256kbps data in Canada and you have good coverage in your home area, this is the carrier for you. I am ecstatic at the lack of batshit insane data roaming charges.

It worked well for a day trip to Montreal. However, I had to reboot the phone to get data to work once I was over the border. This was not true for all of my border crossings.

Except for Niagara on the lake, I had good coverage everywhere I went in Ontario, including Guelph. We crossed at Highgate, VT and worked our way over to the 401 to end up in Kingston the 1st night. Then up to Peterborough to see Trent, down to Pickering to go to a beach that has a nuclear fucking power plant (the nuke is not pictured). Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160713_181512.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	1.71 MB 
ID:	185585
    Canadians are nucking futs. And over to Guelph. 3 nights in Guelph. With that as our base, we then went to Waterloo U and WLU. Then McMaster in Hamilton with an afternoon trip to Niagara Falls. Then on the way home we went to downtown TOR for U of T. Google maps did some fucked up things with routes, however I had data the whole way. Mostly. In addition to the above phone hole, we had an oh shit moment on our last day as we were rushing from Guelph to U of T. I am not sure what happened but Google Maps just up and quit leaving me stranded in the middle lane of six needing to get over to the collector in stop and go traffic (on a Saturday so totally unexpected congestion for 9:30 AM). It took a reboot or two and then some to get maps working again. Fortunately we had a GPS unit and fired that up. It was funny deciding between Maps and GPS once the former was back up. They could not agree.

I need to re-evaluate my dependence on Google Maps. And it took us on some weird routes in Ontario. Lots of back roads. Why don't I just use the GPS? I prefer the ease of use of Google Maps. The GPS interface sucks green donkey dick.

My coverage where I travel day to day in the US is a little bit of an issue so I don't know what I will do. And I have found the occasional need for a reboot as sometimes it won't pick up any carrier at random times. I am not sure if this is because the underlying carriers just don't have great coverage up here or if it has something to do with how Fi works.

I have found the 5x to be a decent phone. At $249 with the deal for a 32 GB phone and having to sign up for Fi, I am happy. It isn't a "wow" phone, but I don't buy those. I go for affordable and underrated. This is all that.

One thing I did notice is that plugged in with a quick car charger and a 2 x USB-C cable, the battery would deplete if I kept maps open for multiple hours. That sucks if you arrive at your destination with a mostly dead phone. Turning off the screen on long stretches helped a lot. I didn't try forcing it to slow charge by using a USB to USB-C cable. That's next. Of course I should just use the damn GPS that I already own and took the trouble to update. Google is so easy.
    I see hydraulic turtles.

This made me laugh today. "Japanese site Mac Otakara, who kicked off this whole audio jack rumor, reported that Apple won’t be including wireless or Lightning earpods, but the standard 3.5mm Earpods with a converter. Steve Jobs probably would’ve vomited in his mouth a little bit, but here we are."
    http://gizmodo.com/iphone-7-rumor-ro...now-1784468263

Heh. We stayed at the Best Western in Guelph next to the U. We were looking at schools for my daughter. Funnily enough, Guelph U was not on the list. It just had a decent hotel rate in a location that was equally horrible for all of the schools we looked at. And knowing nothing about the town, I was pleasantly surprised by it. Who knew?

So, Fi. If you can handle 256kbps data in Canada and you have good coverage in your home area, this is the carrier for you. I am ecstatic at the lack of batshit insane data roaming charges.

It worked well for a day trip to Montreal. However, I had to reboot the phone to get data to work once I was over the border. This was not true for all of my border crossings.

Except for Niagara on the lake, I had good coverage everywhere I went in Ontario, including Guelph. We crossed at Highgate, VT and worked our way over to the 401 to end up in Kingston the 1st night. Then up to Peterborough to see Trent, down to Pickering to go to a beach that has a nuclear fucking power plant (the nuke is not pictured). Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160713_181512.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	1.71 MB 
ID:	185585
    Canadians are nucking futs. And over to Guelph. 3 nights in Guelph. With that as our base, we then went to Waterloo U and WLU. Then McMaster in Hamilton with an afternoon trip to Niagara Falls. Then on the way home we went to downtown TOR for U of T. Google maps did some fucked up things with routes, however I had data the whole way. Mostly. In addition to the above phone hole, we had an oh shit moment on our last day as we were rushing from Guelph to U of T. I am not sure what happened but Google Maps just up and quit leaving me stranded in the middle lane of six needing to get over to the collector in stop and go traffic (on a Saturday so totally unexpected congestion for 9:30 AM). It took a reboot or two and then some to get maps working again. Fortunately we had a GPS unit and fired that up. It was funny deciding between Maps and GPS once the former was back up. They could not agree.

I need to re-evaluate my dependence on Google Maps. And it took us on some weird routes in Ontario. Lots of back roads. Why don't I just use the GPS? I prefer the ease of use of Google Maps. The GPS interface sucks green donkey dick.

My coverage where I travel day to day in the US is a little bit of an issue so I don't know what I will do. And I have found the occasional need for a reboot as sometimes it won't pick up any carrier at random times. I am not sure if this is because the underlying carriers just don't have great coverage up here or if it has something to do with how Fi works.

I have found the 5x to be a decent phone. At $249 with the deal for a 32 GB phone and having to sign up for Fi, I am happy. It isn't a "wow" phone, but I don't buy those. I go for affordable and underrated. This is all that.

One thing I did notice is that plugged in with a quick car charger and a 2 x USB-C cable, the battery would deplete if I kept maps open for multiple hours. That sucks if you arrive at your destination with a mostly dead phone. Turning off the screen on long stretches helped a lot. I didn't try forcing it to slow charge by using a USB to USB-C cable. That's next. Of course I should just use the damn GPS that I already own and took the trouble to update. Google is so easy.
    Thanks for the update. Guelph is a nice place and booming with Toronto commuters.

Try a GPS app called navmii. It's free. You download the maps.locally so no need for data and hasn't left me stranded. With data you get all the traffic and poi's good product I've used many times in Canada.

Might give Fi a shot.

Oh, and that picture was taking with the 5x. If that helps.
    I see hydraulic turtles.

Not sure navmii is all that. It doesn't recognize my street number and doesn't show any gas stations near me... That and Canada is one map at 900MB+, no option to load by province.
    I see hydraulic turtles.

Anyone using the Moto Z Force Droid? I love my nexus but my company will not get me the new one if you can no longer get it through the Verizon store. I guess you can only get it on the Google site now..
    People should learn endurance; they should learn to endure the discomforts of heat and cold, hunger and thirst; they should learn to be patient when receiving abuse and scorn; for it is the practice of endurance that quenches the fire of worldly passions which is burning up their bodies.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

Not sure navmii is all that. It doesn't recognize my street number and doesn't show any gas stations near me... That and Canada is one map at 900MB+, no option to load by province.
    Never left me stranded. Did you dl you're locale map? It has nothing onboard. Unless you store a ton of music or movies the maps are a small portion of most phones storage, and best when you don't have data.

Has anyone else with an iPhone 5s found their battery life to become incredibly short of late? My phone will drop from 100% to zero in about five hours if left untouched (on wifi, no apps open, good cell signal, 65 degrees F temperature). It wasn't fantastic before, but this is ludicrously bad. And with the new phone one month away, the timing makes me want to bust out my tinfoil hat.

I know, I know, it's 3.5 years old, and time for an upgrade. Still, $750 for a mid-capacity 6s? Sheesh. Any thoughts on what the price will be once the 7 comes out next month?

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Never left me stranded. Did you dl you're locale map? It has nothing onboard. Unless you store a ton of music or movies the maps are a small portion of most phones storage, and best when you don't have data.
    Yup, I downloaded VT.
    I see hydraulic turtles.

Quote Originally Posted by FormerKnuckleDragger View Post
    Has anyone else with an iPhone 5s found their battery life to become incredibly short of late? My phone will drop from 100% to zero in about five hours if left untouched (on wifi, no apps open, good cell signal, 65 degrees F temperature). It wasn't fantastic before, but this is ludicrously bad. And with the new phone one month away, the timing makes me want to bust out my tinfoil hat.

I know, I know, it's 3.5 years old, and time for an upgrade. Still, $750 for a mid-capacity 6s? Sheesh. Any thoughts on what the price will be once the 7 comes out next month?
    Uh.. it's almost four years old. The battery has reached critical shit out. No surprises besides the fact that you didn't replace it sooner with its gradual decline. Replace it yourself (moderately tedious, I did it on my 5), pay someone, or jump ship to an unlocked Android like I just did.

The charging port on my Galaxy S5 seems to have a loose connection now, and is hard to charge. I can't wait until my contract is up and I can get a new phone, this phone sucks.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    The charging port on my Galaxy S5 seems to have a loose connection now, and is hard to charge. I can't wait until my contract is up and I can get a new phone, this phone sucks.
    I swear every phone I've had eventually did that. The wireless charging with the S7 is awesome.

Phone contracts. Wait, sorry, wrong thread.
    I see hydraulic turtles.

Quote Originally Posted by soups818 View Post
    I swear every phone I've had eventually did that. The wireless charging with the S7 is awesome.
    Is it the charging port, or your cable?

I've found the little points that stick out the bottom of the charging cable tend to slowly bend in over time. If you take a pin, you can bend them back out and it will make a better connection.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke
    Cell phones are great in the backcountry. If you're injured, you can use them to play Tetris, which helps pass the time while waiting for cold embrace of Death to envelop you.

I managed to drop my s4 a few weeks back, and shattered the screen. Bought the replacement screen kit from amazon, and occasionally it won't recognising that I'm touching the screen.

I can get a refurbished s4 for about $140 on amazon, and then I'm going to swap over to straight talk. Should save me quite a bit, more than enough to pay for a new phone every couple years while saving a few bucks, or a refurbished older model and save several hundred each year. Plus it's a better plan than I have on the same network.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke
    Cell phones are great in the backcountry. If you're injured, you can use them to play Tetris, which helps pass the time while waiting for cold embrace of Death to envelop you.

Time for a new phone...I like having google (Android based?). I've had Samsung through Verizon for a while.

Anyone have the Fi Nexus plan?

Or is there something else I should consider.

Quote Originally Posted by gatorboy View Post
    Time for a new phone...I like having google (Android based?). I've had Samsung through Verizon for a while.

Anyone have the Fi Nexus plan?

Or is there something else I should consider.
    Read thread...just a few short pages back some good stuff on Fi....im thinking of switching..I also understand I may be able to sell off my Verizon Unlimited plan that is out of contract...pretty good money too. I have 2 lines.

My opinions about Fi start about a page back. I have a Nexus 5x. Not a wow phone. However i think for the price it is a good deal for what you get. Fi coverage depends on how well T-Mo, Sprint and US Cellular cover your area. Also I have noticed that there are some weird behaviors occasionally switching back and forth to wifi. I have gotten some dropped calls. If you travel to Canada where there is coverage it really starts to earn its keep. Around 800 MB of data cost me around $8 USD. 256kbps, but I could care less, i was not streaming. That's worlds better than what AT&T will soak you for. I like being able use Hangouts on my chromebook to make calls using my Fi account and a headset. I don't like the hangouts app interface, it needs some work.
    I see hydraulic turtles.