Page 37 of 97 FirstFirst ... 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ... LastLast

Thread: What phone now?

Chinese super material
    Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

Quote Originally Posted by digitaldeath View Post
    Now this is a 10/10 post. Such exuberance
    Get stoked!
    http://m.indiatoday.in/lite/story/th.../1/913632.html
    I've been waiting for this Motherfucker since they blocked my recalled note7
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

Quote Originally Posted by My Pet Powder Goat View Post
    S8 is coming out soon. looks like a beast.
    Does it have a self destruct mode?
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

I got the leather case for my 6S, but modified it to fit my 7. So, going on 1.5 years. It looks used for sure, but is holding up fine. The leather gets scuffed, but smooths out after enough trips in and out of the pocket.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    I got the leather case for my 6S, but modified it to fit my 7. So, going on 1.5 years. It looks used for sure, but is holding up fine. The leather gets scuffed, but smooths out after enough trips in and out of the pocket.
    Definitely different than my experience. Mine was literally falling apart at the edges. Must be better material.

For me now, it's all about the minimal case necessary to protect from the occasional fall and to create a little friction so it doesn't slip out of my hand. I don't really understand why people buy sleek, small phones and then put them in a bulky case.
    Outlive the bastards - Ed Abbey

Unfortunately for inexpensive phones for family and such, Moto is still the best game in town for an unlocked phone. I just got a G4 Play for my youngest to replace the cracked and dying 1st gen G he inherited from me. $129 on Amazon, and NOT the one with ads that you can get for $99. No thanks. Moto really needs to fire the people that name their products though.
    I see hydraulic turtles.

Quote Originally Posted by ml242 View Post
    Does it have a self destruct mode?
    God, I hope so....
    Samsung is giving owners of Note7 $968 dollars to return the recalled phone. I have two of them. That's going right toward buying a new moto-bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

I just seent tye1on

Zone Controller

"He wants to be a pro, bro, not some schmuck." - Hugh Conway

"DigitalDeath would kick my ass. He has the reach of a polar bear." - Crass3000

Anybody switch from iPhone to Android? I'm looking at doing this for the sole reason of cold weather performance. My iPhone 4 dies with over 50% battery indicated if I pull it out of my pocket for longer than a minute if it's anywhere close to freezing and from talking to friends with 5's & 6's they're not much better. But I can't stand the Android OS, my wife has an S6 and she can hardly use it and is always getting me to help her with stuff on it, getting photos off of the thing is like giving birth. Are the more recent Android OS' any better in your experience?
    "It's like we're watching a movie... and then suddenly we're acting in it."

Quote Originally Posted by balefulstare View Post
    Anybody switch from iPhone to Android? I'm looking at doing this for the sole reason of cold weather performance. My iPhone 4 dies with over 50% battery indicated if I pull it out of my pocket for longer than a minute if it's anywhere close to freezing and from talking to friends with 5's & 6's they're not much better. But I can't stand the Android OS, my wife has an S6 and she can hardly use it and is always getting me to help her with stuff on it, getting photos off of the thing is like giving birth. Are the more recent Android OS' any better in your experience?
    It's surprising to me that you've concluded that getting photos on and off a phone are a problem of the operating system and not a problem of user ignorance. I mean ... dude ... there are entire armies of nerds at Apple and Google dedicated to user experience surrounding photography. Some simple steps will solve your android file transfer dilemma:

- On your phone, make sure that you have Google Photos installed
    - In the Google Photos app, specify where you want your photos backed up (what google account)
    - Make sure you're on wifi
    - Let your phone upload all your photos and vids to the cloud
    - Log into the same google account on your computer and browse to drive.google.com
    - et voila

Yes, it will work on the Galaxy S6

Pretty sure the only way to get photos off an iphone is to have someone hack your icloud account and post them on Tumblr...
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Hugh Conway sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I guess stfu might be right about steel toed boots
    Quote Originally Posted by pedoherp69 View Post
    I know actual transpeople.
    Quote Originally Posted by rokjoxx View Post
    We is got a good military, maybe cause some kids get to shooting sports early here.

Not sure what is the issue with getting photos off the phone- as I can just eject the microSD card if I want to read the photos in 2 easy steps (stop the memory just like any removable flash drive on any computer, then remove it from my phone- try that with ANY Apple phone and you will not be able to ), or I can use the USB/charging cable into a computer after the drivers are loaded (most built in to newer versions of Operating Systems or download them 1 time from the manufacturer to install. Then it becomes just like a digital camera in the OS and you can browse to the DCIM folder on the PC and view the photos and copy them. I can load a number of apps to transfer the photos to the cloud- Google drive or Dropbox as two examples among others) with the Dropbox app on a PC as soon as I am in wifi new photos get transferred to the cloud and on the PC the app shows new files- probably similar to Itunes backup that is basically required for any Apple phone since if you fill up your phone memory they do not have any external SD memory available and then you can't take any more photos. Can also set up backup software to again each time I am on wifi transfer the photos to my Amazon S3 account and have them stored there and accessible with any web browser. Another option that I do not use but definitely could is use my laptop with a Bluetooth adapter in it and transfer the files via Bluetooth wireless connection instead of wifi to a cloud account. How difficult is any of those (maybe an app download or 2 install and set up or maybe a few minutes of time first time doing the setup or having handy a standard typically microUSB cable that comes with a phone or costs $2 or so if you want a spare cord to leave with the computer.

Also with my Android phone I could even carry a spare battery and pop the back off the phone and insert it if for some reason I do not put the phone in an inner pocket and it is extremely cold day, taking a bunch of photos or video and having a ski tracking app running the battery may get low faster than if I was doing that in warmer weather- it is the nature of battery LiIon technology not the phone. Again good luck finding any Apple phone with a user replaceable batteries.

Maybe need to ask a woman though how hard was giving birth, each may have story about hours or maybe the kid came so fast they could not get to the hospital even YMMV.

Why the fuck would you ever eject the card to get at photos? Talk about pain in the ass...

Well my wife was born on her driveway before they could get to the car so it's harder than that, a lot less bleeding involved though, unless cerebral hemorrhaging counts.

I'll have to get on this cloud thing I guess, still sounds more convoluted than plugging my iPhone into my mac and clicking import though. I could not get her S6 to talk to our mac after trying at least 3 different apps that supposedly are supposed to do just that. Spent hours watching youtube tutorials and reading articles on the subject as well to no avail, nothing I tried worked. I gave up and dug out the 20 year old PC from the basement, fired it up, plugged the phone in and right away a wizard pops up: "what do you want to do with these photos" save to folder, move to memory stick, run upstairs, plug stick into mac, open iphoto, click import and done. And thats how i've been doing it for the past 3 years. This is before google drive existed mind you (or at least I was aware of it)
    "It's like we're watching a movie... and then suddenly we're acting in it."

I think the battery dying in the cold is just a symptom of your battery being at end of its life. My iPhone 5S was doing the same thing, so I just replaced it with an iPhone 7 and it now works just fine in the cold. You can also just replace the battery for around $100 (through a repair shop).
    Outlive the bastards - Ed Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by Pegleg View Post
    I think the battery dying in the cold is just a symptom of your battery being at end of its life. My iPhone 5S was doing the same thing, so I just replaced it with an iPhone 7 and it now works just fine in the cold. You can also just replace the battery for around $100 (through a repair shop).
    https://www.google.com/#q=Apple+IPho...ttery+recall&*
    https://www.google.com/#q=Apple+IPhone+battery+recall&*

and read about short life or needing to charge sooner than normal for the Apple IPhones. If you have one that is not on the recall, then most report getting a new battery installed helps greatly with the issue.

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    Why the fuck would you ever eject the card to get at photos? Talk about pain in the ass...
    No pain at all -2 steps (Settings, storage Unmount SD card to safely remove it) then pop the card right out in under 30 seconds as I stated to eject memory card and fastest transfer method. Have a card reader in laptop and a USB card reader on desktop at work. Stop the removable device on the PC just like any other removable device, and reinsert it and phone detects it and off you go.

Well my wife was born on her driveway before they could get to the car so it's harder than that, a lot less bleeding involved though, unless cerebral hemorrhaging counts.

I'll have to get on this cloud thing I guess, still sounds more convoluted than plugging my iPhone into my mac and clicking import though. I could not get her S6 to talk to our mac after trying at least 3 different apps that supposedly are supposed to do just that. Spent hours watching youtube tutorials and reading articles on the subject as well to no avail, nothing I tried worked. I gave up and dug out the 20 year old PC from the basement, fired it up, plugged the phone in and right away a wizard pops up: "what do you want to do with these photos" save to folder, move to memory stick, run upstairs, plug stick into mac, open iphoto, click import and done. And thats how i've been doing it for the past 3 years. This is before google drive existed mind you (or at least I was aware of it)
    Sounds like an Apple issue with the Mac not wanting to support anything other than their products, Apple uses a flavor of OS based on Unix then the BSD and very similar to Android which is Google's version of Linux.

http://www.androidauthority.com/use-...c-os-x-632616/
    https://www.android.com/filetransfer/ are some of the 3rd party apps and others similar out there that may help you get past Apple's limited drivers support.

My work phone is dying, trying to figure out if I want to go pixel or wait a few weeks for the S8. Any thoughts?
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

Quote Originally Posted by DJSapp View Post
    My work phone is dying, trying to figure out if I want to go pixel or wait a few weeks for the S8. Any thoughts?
    Obviously I can't comment on the S8, but I've been with my Pixel for 5 months now and it's really good. Has never missed a beat and it's devoid of any carrier bloat. Battery is great. Will Goog's OS updated arrive on Pixel before other hardware? Maybe.

I got a Moto z force and it has very limited bloat. Long battery life, and turbo charging. It also has the cool mods that can attach to the phone which Moto has agreed to support for at least 3 years. Also has what Moto says is an unbreakable screen. Free replacements if you break. One caveat they achieved this feat by using plastic in the screen. This translates to easy scratches. I noticed them on mine within days. Using a tempered glass screen saver has made them unnoticable, but id put a protector I on day one if i did it again.
    Running 7.0 so not what pixel has but there is little difference from what I have seen.
    Big changes in the next is release "O" and the Moto z will receive it.

Solid phone this far.

Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    Obviously I can't comment on the S8, but I've been with my Pixel for 5 months now and it's really good. Has never missed a beat and it's devoid of any carrier bloat. Battery is great. Will Goog's OS updated arrive on Pixel before other hardware? Maybe.
    How's the speakerphone? Loud? I use mine daily and a quiet speaker is the shits
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

Quote Originally Posted by DJSapp View Post
    How's the speakerphone? Loud? I use mine daily and a quiet speaker is the shits
    It's loud. But it's only one speaker. Cheap Bluetooth speaker?

Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    It's loud. But it's only one speaker. Cheap Bluetooth speaker?
    Nah, it's mostly for impromptu conference calls in a loud office. Good to know it's loud though. My HTC m9 with two speakers isn't any louder than anything else, and it was a heavily advertised feature.

Android 7.1.2 arrived on my Nexus 5x yesterday. None of the weird issues yet.
    I see hydraulic turtles.