Page 95 of 97 FirstFirst ... 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 LastLast
Results 2,351 to 2,375 of 2406

Thread: What phone now?

Quote Originally Posted by easyrdr View Post
    I'm still mad but what choice do I have.
    You could just, I don't know, not use an iPhone...
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

I’m a month in on a new IPhone and (refurb) IPad, and I absolutely could not be happier. Every single glitch that I was having with the Pixel is past history. Everything works, and works well.
    Last edited by rideit; 01-23-2024 at 11:55 AM.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

ATT tower in Salida. Seems they could give a fuck no service except wifi.
    Name:  ATT tower.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  105.8 KB

Dude, same thing happened to me. Tech support, all that shit, took it to my local apple store. They all laughed at me. I uploaded my whole CD collection back when I had an iPhone4. Had an iTunes account, lots of purchased music. Then one day out of no where my music stopped sharing with the cloud. The Cd's I had started randomly disappearing. The iTunes songs I purchased were there one minute gone the next. I tried everything. Sync this, download that. Total bullshit. Finally got an Apple asshole to acknowledge Apple fucked me. My music isn't compatible with my iPhone anymore. Their solution sign up for a monthly subscription to Apple Music and you can listen to whatever you want. I told them to fuck off. My wife had an account and added me to it. I'm still mad but what choice do I have.
    This is what led me to leave the iPhone, circa 2008. I can't stand the obligatory ecosystem.

That said, there is an option in iTunes on your PC/Mac to save to a designated, local folder.

Sent from my SM-S918U1 using Tapatalk
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    That said, there is an option in iTunes on your PC/Mac to save to a designated, local folder.
    I don't see that happening, you might as well ask them to program their garage door opener into their Tesla. Apple products are for people who can't even figure out how to turn on an induction stove.

The only way I see this working is if the OP takes their phone to a brick and mortar store. That, or stopping anyone on the street under the age of 78 and offering them a latte to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    I’m a month in on a new IPhone and IPad, and I absolutely could not be happier. Every single glitch that I was having with the Pixel is past history. Everything works, and works well.
    And it only cost you $4000. Don't worry though, it'll be rendered obsolete by the end of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Touring_Sedan View Post
    And it only cost you $4000. Don't worry though, it'll be rendered obsolete by the end of the year.
    Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss android vs apple.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss android vs apple.
    Please show the class where I said android was better. I'll wait.

Dude, same thing happened to me. Tech support, all that shit, took it to my local apple store. They all laughed at me. I uploaded my whole CD collection back when I had an iPhone4. Had an iTunes account, lots of purchased music. Then one day out of no where my music stopped sharing with the cloud. The Cd's I had started randomly disappearing. The iTunes songs I purchased were there one minute gone the next. I tried everything. Sync this, download that. Total bullshit. Finally got an Apple asshole to acknowledge Apple fucked me. My music isn't compatible with my iPhone anymore. Their solution sign up for a monthly subscription to Apple Music and you can listen to whatever you want. I told them to fuck off. My wife had an account and added me to it. I'm still mad but what choice do I have.
    Super frustrating, me too! I do occasionally find old burnt mp3s - not all was lost but most was. I'm guessing it was the record companies who told Apple to do this though or Apple had to follow a law about ripped music on their platform.

Now I have a nice home stereo I'm realizing those mp3s sound like shit and have to delete them and redownload to get Apple lossless and HiRes. So while I don't have a list of what I lost, which sucks, my old ripped CDs needed to be replaced. Makes me feel slightly better about getting screwed.

Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

So is it not possible to manually move hard copies of music onto an iphone? Like hook the phone up with a cord to a computer and move the music files into a folder on the phone?

I've been considering a switch from Android to iphone, but ^^^ that'd be a bummer. I have some old CD's that don't seem to exist on any of the streaming platforms. On the Android, it's no big deal - I just transfer the ripped files onto the phone, and then Spotify will recognize those local files and I can integrate them into playlists and play them like any other song on Spotify. But it sounds like that wouldn't work on an iphone?

Well, $1300, but thanks for playing. ��
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Well, $1300, but thanks for playing. ��
    Make the cat pay.

Please show the class where I said android was better. I'll wait.
    Lol, I just felt like being snarky and giving you shit.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    Lol, I just felt like being snarky and giving you shit.
    Right back at ya. I think all the phones suck. How the fuck did we put a man in the moon in the 60's with the processing power of a cucumber yet it always feels like we're all beta testing anything with a battery today.

Ha, interesting discussion on ripped music.

My mom worked for an indie record company way back when, then another, and that one got bought out by a current giant. That is to say she has a CD collection that would rival most. I ripped all the good stuff, literally days of music.

One day it was just gone from my library. I didn’t even bother trying to track it down. That was somewhere between like 2014-2017. Funny to hear it didn’t only happen to me.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by climberevan View Post
    You could just, I don't know, not use an iPhone...
    dangit, why didn't I think of that

What phone now?

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    So is it not possible to manually move hard copies of music onto an iphone? Like hook the phone up with a cord to a computer and move the music files into a folder on the phone?

I've been considering a switch from Android to iphone, but ^^^ that'd be a bummer. I have some old CD's that don't seem to exist on any of the streaming platforms. On the Android, it's no big deal - I just transfer the ripped files onto the phone, and then Spotify will recognize those local files and I can integrate them into playlists and play them like any other song on Spotify. But it sounds like that wouldn't work on an iphone?
    You can store files in an app called…wait for it…: “Files”

Alternately, Dropbox (or similar) is cross platform and easy to use & doesn’t keep those files on your device unless you want it to.

TBS: Apple Music is the new iTunes. Songs from CDs can be located there, from what I’ve gathered.

Check that all your i-devices are set up the same to connect to iCloud. If your iPad is somehow accessing iCloud with different settings from your iPhone, this can screw up the works.

Quote Originally Posted by ex-powderbroker View Post
    i haven’t had to reset an iphone in ages.

funny thing is that it’s not even easy to turn them off or restart them anymore even if you had to.
    Settings/general/shut down

Or just hold down the power button and a volume button at the same time. That also lets you call 911 or view medical info.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Don't recall what I did when I had an iPhone (6 and 7). I do recall getting iTunes to work but it was a pain, and possibly not doing it right. I think I also was able to transfer MP3 files to a drive on the phone and use a free music player. That's what I do now on pixel. Think I made that work on the last iPhone too. Most of my music was ripped from CD's or downloaded using torrents.

Also, I ended up getting a Pixel 8 after my 3 stopped accepting a charge. It's been ok so far. Definitely get better reception and speeds, and more thorough coverage on 5G. A few controls seem to be not intuitive but I also hated a few controls on the pixel 3. Fairly happy with it so far.

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post
    Don't recall what I did when I had an iPhone (6 and 7). I do recall getting iTunes to work but it was a pain, and possibly not doing it right. I think I also was able to transfer MP3 files to a drive on the phone and use a free music player. That's what I do now on pixel. Think I made that work on the last iPhone too. Most of my music was ripped from CD's or downloaded using torrents.

Also, I ended up getting a Pixel 8 after my 3 stopped accepting a charge. It's been ok so far. Definitely get better reception and speeds, and more thorough coverage on 5G. A few controls seem to be not intuitive but I also hated a few controls on the pixel 3. Fairly happy with it so far.
    How long ago did you give up your iPhone 6 and 7? Those are pretty old now and maybe even when Apple used iTunes more for things like even their Apps as well as their music. There have been many Apple changes as mentioned pushing Apple Music (their streaming service for Music that you do not purchase, but subscribe to as a streaming service...)

Update - Apple can kiss my ass.

The Easus MobiMover utility transfers music (and other) files from PC to iPhone 15 with ease:
    See https://mobi.easeus.com/phone-transf...over-free.html

Tried the free version - easy peasey, even for someone with no patience with computers.

It's free for 10 transfers per day. There's 26GB stored on a PC hard drive, so that wasn't going to work.
    So I paid $23.95 for one month of the pro version. You can specify that you don't want to renew at the end of the month (will see if that radio button actually does something).

So far today I've transferred about 18GB of music to the 128GB hard drive on the iPhone. The software transcodes to MP3 format on the fly.

So I can listen to this music anywhere, don't have deal with iTunes or stream from Apple Music. The whole concept that I'd be willing to pay $10.99/month that can only be used if I have good cell reception or WiFi is incredibly stupid. An MTB buddy tries to do this with Pandora on a Galaxy and has big time problems losing the signal.

There's been a few hiccups along the way. Mostly with the way I've cataloged some source files (like STS9 shows). Example - the artist field of source file has to be populated, otherwise it shows up on iPhone as a single song with no attribution...

I didn't try to organize playlists on source drive and transfer en masse to the iPhone.

So, once again, Apple can lick my balls and eat my asshole

Quote Originally Posted by evdog View Post

I could do this on an iPhone 8. Somewhere in the intervening seven years, Apple got greedy.

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    You can store files in an app called…wait for it…: “Files”

Alternately, Dropbox (or similar) is cross platform and easy to use & doesn’t keep those files on your device unless you want it to.

TBS: Apple Music is the new iTunes. Songs from CDs can be located there, from what I’ve gathered.
    Despite several attempts, I was unable to transfer an MP3 file to iPhone Files and make it show up in the music app.

And you absolutely cannot retrieve ripped MP3 files stored on iTunes to play on iPhone. When I backed up my iPhone 8 prior to upgrade, the ripped MP3s would not store on the new phone. They just suck up space in iCloud. Maybe you can stream them but try listening to Apple Music in Camp Sherman.

The iTunes app makes it look like you can transfer ripped files from iPhone 8 to 15, but clicking the button does doodly-squat

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    I could do this on an iPhone 8. So Apple continues their greedy ways and more ways to get into your pocket with subscriptions or fees as they change their offerings and ways.
    FIFY