Page 8 of 33 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Sonora Pass

Quote Originally Posted by skier666 View Post
    Keep me posted if you hear any exact timing...I'd much rather ski tomorrow than next Tuesday...obviously.
    Check yer PMs.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

just got the call myself

Well, right on schedule, I've got the flu the night before heading out there. Just in case any of you were planning to meet on an off chance. Arghhhh

Any good suggestions on dispersed camping off 108?
    Last time we went it was much harder to find than it should've been, not sure what we were doing wrong. Lmk if you have any tips thx

Might see you this weekend.

Check PMs.

Quote Originally Posted by JAREDS View Post
    Last time we went it was much harder to find than it should've been, not sure what we were doing wrong. Lmk if you have any tips thx
    Take the turnoff to the trail of the ancient dwarfs just before the turnoff to the Clark Fk. Plenty of spots. Or the Kennedy Mdws road has camp spots I think? Especially if you plan on doing something like a PCT tour and drop down Blue Canyon. Personally, I'd get to the EastSide of the Pass and look for a spot above the dreaded switchback with a 13% grade. Just stay high. The Leavitt Ck zone.. You might run into Marines from the PickleMdwMtnWarfareTraining gig. Dudes in white riding in HumVees or Tele skiing with large packs and guns...quite the sight!! I haven't done the PCT to BlueC in over 20 years, but on Memorial Day weekends when it traditionally opened on the way to the Eastside we would take skis and snowboards for some Sierra corn prior to 3 days in the Gorge. We would walk on the crust and rocks along the PCT and have lunch at the top of BlueCanyon and just wait for some sun to soften up some frozen crusty snow and drop into BlueCanyon back to 108. Incredible run with wave like hits, rocks to drop, etc. It was like a continuous wave from top to essentially the bottom. Very fun for those that like to wander the slope as opposed to sticking to the fall-line. Blue Canyon is the most dramatic and beautiful zone you'll find up there. I haven't found anywhere as dramatic/cool/interesting in my life except for a place or two I have visited in the AnselAdamsWLDNS and that a long assed walk!
    Squeezin' a little more every other day

When I moved to California about twenty years ago my Wagoneer died near the famed Corn Palace in S Dakota. We put it on a a trailer and towed it with a 24' U-haul. Killed that thing on that dreaded switchback just after nightfall. Part of the rescue effort was getting the Wagoneer off the trailer, and coasting down to the valley floor, accessing the Marine Base and looking for a phone. Good thing we were not the Russians, as it took over a half hour to get anyone's attention. Good times.

Ha! Good one Ottime! Folks(flatlanders) overshoot that corner on the DH quite a bit.
    Squeezin' a little more every other day

Quote Originally Posted by JAREDS View Post
    Sending PM.

SFTC took a Uhaul over that and was still shaking when he got to my house. Young Owen and I saw a truck full of recycled metal that had gone over the edge after coming through the slot on the west side of the pass. Shit everywhere strewn about the hwy with a trail of carnage leading to the drop. Driver smeared the truck against the rock wall to stop it, then it got away from him and went off the edge.

Those switchbacks are pretty gnarly. Definitely understandable why they'll just reclose it instead of plowing it for little spring systems that come through.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Sonora Pass

More about truck off the road...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=591292

Proposal to limit truck length on 108...

http://www.mammothtimes.com/content/...nds-supes-desk

Road work to open 108 this year...

http://www.uniondemocrat.com/News/Lo...g-Highway-108#

Last summer, when camping off some dirt roads above the Marine station, my truck temporarily lost both power steering & brakes. (It's a hydroboost system -- power steering pump runs both the steering and provides the power brake assist.) That made for an interesting time driving down to 108, in a truck that probably weighs 8000# loaded w/ camper. I put it in 4WD low range for the drive down... Brakes and steering came back to life once we hit pavement, and I replaced the power steering pump after we got back home.

While that hairpin on the east side of Sonora pass is very steep, I think the west side's long continuous grade is scarier. More traffic over there too.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

That Eastern side one is a doozy...

Quote Originally Posted by telemike View Post
    SFTC took a Uhaul over that and was still shaking when he got to my house. Young Owen and I saw a truck full of recycled metal that had gone over the edge after coming through the slot on the west side of the pass. Shit everywhere strewn about the hwy with a trail of carnage leading to the drop. Driver smeared the truck against the rock wall to stop it, then it got away from him and went off the edge.
    Years later, when I actually drove over the pass from west to east, I was pretty stoked we got stuck where we did. Getting much further, or actually coming down through the notch on the west side would have been scary with the rig we were driving.

So...

Looking like Saturday with a friend. Sunday family day. Monday solo.

Did Vets post here?
    He was there yesterday or the day before and said it was wet sliding everywhere.

Krystal Kartwright is on her way home from Leavitt. I'll pass along a report later.

Hit the Y today. It was soft and fun.

Sonora Pass

Did you see a tall split board guy and a short skier girl? My wife and buddy.

I did. They eventually went right of the ravine. I went left.

Where are you headed with your kid tomorrow?

Still thinking Tioga. If nothing else, I want to introduce my daughter to the Whoa Nellie Deli & Travertine post-ski combo that's brought me so much joy.

That's a good combo. Still planning SP but I'll let you know if we change.