Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Sorry to harass you NG, but exactly what bindings do you have? I can look them up and then subtract the weight to get the weight of the skis.

Quote Originally Posted by Nordic Giant View Post

Don't get me wrong about the Woo's windfunk abilities, I think they ski fine. Just not the be-all end-all solution to that problem. A wicked heavy, true reverse/reverse fatty is probably the best option for that. But I'm not gonna haul that uphill.

Seems like a Woo2 in a extra heavy layup would actually be pretty sweet for that, or just ski area crud charging.
    I'm with you NG. Of all the skis I've been on, the Woo's do about as good as you can get in the funky stuff for the weight, at least for my ability. Hell, I'm still skiing Woo1's and think they're great, but i've never had the really bad front hooking problems others had. Probably because I don't have any edges left on the front of the ski.

Thanks for that NG. Good comparisons. More fuel for the fire. Want a pair. Thinking I'd like to see if more people are interested in organizing/seeing if it's possible to get either shorter WT2 or 177 protest in the 163 dimensions(119waist) in ul build. 119 might surf the funk better?

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Thanks for that NG. Good comparisons. More fuel for the fire. Want a pair. Thinking I'd like to see if more people are interested in organizing/seeing if it's possible to get either shorter WT2 or 177 protest in the 163 dimensions(119waist) in ul build. 119 might surf the funk better?
    Agreed on all fronts, I'd kinda like to see a woo 2 with 128-130ish tip in a 180, certainly don't think adding a few cupcakes in the waist would hurt at all, but I'd like to see the tip increase relative to my previous hopes and dreams...
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

Quote Originally Posted by eskido View Post
    Agreed on all fronts, I'd kinda like to see a woo 2 with 128-130ish tip in a 180, certainly don't think adding a few cupcakes in the waist would hurt at all, but I'd like to see the tip increase relative to my previous hopes and dreams...
    I'm down w a 180. Anywhere 177-180. The 163 protest is 130-119-123. Those in a 180 w ul core and maybe that special edition top sheet for added weight savings. Guessing around 7.5 lbs. lots o fun on that me thinks

Thoughts on UL Wootest 2.0 vs. UL GPO for a touring-only ski? Probably 187 in either. CO front range, so not the breakable crust/funky conditions that the Tahoe/PNW crowd might have designed/dreamt about the ski for. Also have the 102 underfoot Down YW8 in 186 for everyday touring, thinking about a mid-winter powder touring ski.
    a witty saying proves nothing
    voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    I'm down w a 180. Anywhere 177-180. The 163 protest is 130-119-123. Those in a 180 w ul core and maybe that special edition top sheet for added weight savings. Guessing around 7.5 lbs. lots o fun on that me thinks
    Fuck off, really had to throw in the special edition graphics!?? Pretty sure you may have just stretched into the holy grail realm!!

Quote Originally Posted by miserywhip View Post
    Thoughts on UL Wootest 2.0 vs. UL GPO for a touring-only ski? Probably 187 in either. CO front range, so not the breakable crust/funky conditions that the Tahoe/PNW crowd might have designed/dreamt about the ski for. Also have the 102 underfoot Down YW8 in 186 for everyday touring, thinking about a mid-winter powder touring ski.
    Just my 2 cents but I'd say pow tour = woo 2 or ul protest?? GPO is $$$ but if you have a good all round rig and are lookin for pow specific, that's what I'd do... most likely woo. I'd didn't mind hauling my protest uphill cuz they kill shit but would never want that to be my only uphill option (specially if they're carrying weight on that entire surface, white shit gets heavy when your breakin trail!)

@ eskido
    Hehe, wasn't really wanting to get into all that, but they're Dynafit Speed Rad toes with B&D 6.4(I think)mm riser shims and Plum guide heels. Dynafits toes seem as good or better as other options as far as I can tell without going the route of Kingpins/Beasts/whatever. I don't need my tech bindings to ski like alpine bindings.
    Plum heels, while not totally bombproof, are pretty functionally sweet and lightish. Basically perfect for my uses.
    No stinking brakes.
    Couldn't tell you what that binding setup weighs.
    Bought it all from Skimo.com though; pretty sure they have weights listed for everything.

Quote Originally Posted by eskido View Post
    Fuck off, really had to throw in the special edition graphics!?? Pretty sure you may have just stretched into the tape on the glasses , shirt pocket pen holder nerd realm!!
    FIFY

Tahoe has been going off for the first time in years so I am going to add some comments. Due to shitty snow in Tahoe for the last couple of years, I haven't been able to ski my Woo 2.0s (Plumb Guide, B&D shims, Medium stiffness, not medium plus like stock, Dyna Mercury or TLT6), mounted 1cm back from reccomend) in good conditions. Never-the-less, they skied the skied the shitty snow we had so well I sold my W112s. Now I have about 4 days on them in light fluff between 6 inches and 2 feet deep, and I am loving them. Any kind of turn you want but they reward a more centered stance and they really don't need much input from you to do exactly what you want. They do become much more responsive with a little momentum. I first mounted them on the line but I prefer them 1 cm back. But I never skied them in good conditions so maybe I will try the old mount again (thank you Binding Freedom).

Can anyone comment on how the Woo relates to the 163 Protest? the 163P seems to have more similar widths to the Woo than the longer Protests? My wife is on the 163P's and she is loving them in these conditions. I would love a aprrox. 170 Woo/Pro for my daughter.

I'll echo what Harpo said. Got a pair from sierra skier, i believe stock stiffness, mounted with speed turns just behind recommended point. Three words: smooth like butter. More playful than my old Kusalas. They like to go bigger than my backcountry's which is understandable, but still can pivot/turn freely.

Anyone using a Wootest inbounds in a heavier layup, and any advantages over a Protest?

I skied my woos a little in bounds. I didn't like them on the groomers getting back to the lift. I prefer my Billy Goats inbounds. I have never skied a Protest.

Quote Originally Posted by Nevada29er View Post
    Anyone using a Wootest inbounds in a heavier layup, and any advantages over a Protest?
    I've been thinking the same thing. That's a versatile shape, and given the custom order options you could make it a beast

I just ordered another pair of Wootest in Kieth's summer sale, longer and stiffer than my last pair. I am upgrading from 187 to a 196 (for better deep snow performance) and from a medium to a medium/stiff on the stiffness scale (to bust through crud better). On my 187, I had to mount 1cm back to keep the tips up. Where should I mount the 196cm? On the line or back a bit? I am about 200lbs. I know many people (including myself) prefer these mounted back, but I am hoping the additional length will float me better and I won't have to mount back to keep the tips up. I am skiing them with TLT6Ps and Mercuries, tech only.

Woohoo!

Stoked to see people still digging these. I still haven't found a ski I want to replace the 2.0s with for true mid winter backcountry.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    Woohoo!

Stoked to see people still digging these. I still haven't found a ski I want to replace the 2.0s with for true mid winter backcountry.
    I like 'em so much have I have two pair: one for inbound with alpine bindings and one for AT BC.
    Every man dies. Not every man lives.
    You don’t stop playing because you grow old; you grow old because you stop playing.

I just picked up my second pair from Keith today after ordering them in the spring sale. 196 (longer than my 187s because I have a fat ass), #4 flex, ultralight core, roaring grizzly with wood veneer top sheet. They weight 8.5 pounds, about the same as my 187 #3 flex 2.0s from about 4 years ago. Pics to come.

Quote Originally Posted by harpo-the-skier View Post
    Pics to come.
    Prove it

Quote Originally Posted by Jim S View Post
    I like 'em so much have I have two pair: one for inbound with alpine bindings and one for AT BC.
    Jim, I was looking at the 4Frnt Hoji for a resort ski, but being a Praxis fan boy I am definitely curious to hear what you have to say about this ski in the resort... I would custom order with fiberglass layup so would not be concerned about weight as it would not be a touring ski...

Definitely appreciate any input you could throw my way about this ski potentially being a jack of all trades in the resort...

Name:  ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1476823776.497355.jpg
Views: 434
Size:  542.7 KB

Here u go.

Fuckin sweet topsheets.

Quote Originally Posted by harpo-the-skier View Post
    Name:  ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1476823776.497355.jpg
Views: 434
Size:  542.7 KB

Here u go.
    Sexy as Fuck

It's awesome how you are just right out on the street. Like they showed up and you just slammed against the telephone pole and went at it