Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by spaztwelve View Post
    It usually has less to do with rocker, and more to do with sidecut meeting rise. Snowboarders have been detuning for decades now. Since skis are starting to resemble snowboards more and more, it only makes sense to detune.
    Yes I understand detuning. Because I've been doing it when needed to skis and snowboards for over 20 years. I've also taken both skis and snowboards out of the plastic and ridden them 10 minutes later and been fine. Plenty of rockered ones that are way more rockered than these too. These skis come retarded sharp. More than other skis. Just accept that. We all understand the concept trust me. THAT'S WHY I DID IT, BECAUSE THEY NEEDED IT. Not all skis do, not this badly.

Quote Originally Posted by MTT View Post
    Kidwoo,

Do you still own and ski your 186 Legend Pro's ?
    I'll be buried with those skis. I'll never get rid of those things.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

I was wondering if anyone can compare how these perform to Wailer 112s? I understand the design differences, I was wondering about the performance differences. I ski my W112s with Dynas and TLT5s exclusively in the backcountry. I love them in untracked pow and they survive hardpack fine, but I have a little trouble with them in breakable wind/rain/sun crust. I have never skied a big full RR ski before, but they have the reputation of slaying those conditions. I was wondering if the Woo was any better than the W112 in heavy breakable crust. The answer to that question wasn't obvious in the review. "In anything smooth, from untracked groomers to pow, the WooTest is solid. But once it gets lumpy, something’s grabbing." That sort of sounds like my W112s.

VVVVV This guy VVVVV

owns and skis on some 112 wailers a lot. Maybe he'll chime back in.

Quote Originally Posted by xtrmjoe View Post
    I really wish we had a better winter to get more days on them. I agree with every thing in the review. The plates add versatility for in and out of bounds. Detune the shit out of them and seek out the untracked. I detuned in 3 stages and wish I would have just hit them hard the first time. Multiple passes with the panzer at 45* from contact points is the way to go. The edges come way to sharp to start.
    I think part of the weirdness in the afternoon has to do with just how easy they are to ski. They are just so easy to pivot and turn that when the tip gets engaged on chunder it can toss you around faster than you can react to it. Big straight fast turns were the best at avoiding the weirdness. Slower, shorter turns were where I found myself lacking some confidence.
    I found committing to them 100% and staying forward decreased the weirdness as did keeping the speed up. The couple roundhouse days we skied showed me this. Once I got them up to speed they were much less reactive to the chunder. They can't hook if you don't turn!
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

I would say the woo's are better in breakable crusts. I think being a little stiffer especially in the tip and being a little heavier help as much as the shape difference does.
    Drink to remember not to forget!
    Fourisight Wines

I got some 196 Wootests from Bennetc14 and I'm stoked to try them. I just got around to mounting, and there's a problem with mount overlap. I'll have to mount at either 1cm behind the punch or 2cm forward. Anyone have a suggestion for the 196? I usually don't mind mounting behind the suggested line, but I didn't like my Protests mounted back. I may just have to pass these on if the mount doesn't work out.

Bindingfreedom plates should let u mount where you want.

Quote Originally Posted by MotoBeak View Post
    I got some 196 Wootests from Bennetc14 and I'm stoked to try them. I just got around to mounting, and there's a problem with mount overlap. I'll have to mount at either 1cm behind the punch or 2cm forward. Anyone have a suggestion for the 196? I usually don't mind mounting behind the suggested line, but I didn't like my Protests mounted back. I may just have to pass these on if the mount doesn't work out.

I don't have the 196s but I have tried several positions on the 187s. I think the sweet spot is just behind the dimple, like -5mm. If memory serves me correctly 100.5 from the tip.

I realize that's not super relevant info for your situation, but I would go -1 vs +2. Given the choice on the wootest I would rather have the mount too far back vs too far forward.

I skied the Wailer112 about 100 days last season, then onto spring sticks.

IMHO...

smaller turn radius + shorter running length + big twin tip tail = not so good in windboard or breakable crust.

But, I also factor in my lack of pure fundamental technique in those conditions. What I call my "personal koolaid gaper factor". It is probably a multiplier of magnitude 1.2 times. aka: blame the craftsman, not just the tool.

So:

(smaller turn radius + shorter running length + big twin tip tail) x gaper factor = not so good in windboard or breakable crust.

Since the WooPest has none of these characteristics (beside the koolaid gaper factor) I'd expect it to perform much better in 'good mountain snow'.

I didn't feel like giving a simple answer.
    Life is not lift served.

Oh and for comparisons sake I ski my 187 protests +5mm, and like it there.

PSA, I was in Pro Ski in Seattle yesterday and they have a pair of 187s for $395. They look really nice, BTW.

Quote Originally Posted by MotoBeak View Post
    After much adjustment I settled at +1 on my 196 stiffs and would not change it. I think kidwoo also preferred his once he went forward of the dimple, if I remember right from his blister gear review.

Quote Originally Posted by Winkler View Post
    I don't have the 196s but I have tried several positions on the 187s. I think the sweet spot is just behind the dimple, like -5mm. If memory serves me correctly 100.5 from the tip.

I realize that's not super relevant info for your situation, but I would go -1 vs +2. Given the choice on the wootest I would rather have the mount too far back vs too far forward.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leisg View Post
    After much adjustment I settled at +1 on my 196 stiffs and would not change it. I think kidwoo also preferred his once he went forward of the dimple, if I remember right from his blister gear review.
    I have the 196 regular/medium flex and mounted just behind the line, I would not go much more forward.
    I would also go -1 over +2. Sollyfits will solve this for you if you want to be on the line.
    I am a big fan of them and made a believer out of kidwoo.
    Last edited by xtrmjoe; 01-01-2013 at 11:05 PM.
    Drink to remember not to forget!
    Fourisight Wines

Trigger pulled on Woo 2.0 187s for the BC. Will pick them up, mount 'em and ski them this week.
    Every man dies. Not every man lives.
    You don’t stop playing because you grow old; you grow old because you stop playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim S View Post
    Trigger pulled on Woo 2.0 187s for the BC. Will pick them up, mount 'em and ski them this week.
    Update on the Woo 2.0?

Quote Originally Posted by sneaky_steve View Post
    Update on the Woo 2.0?

Friggin love 'em.
    I posted some detailed comments in the other Woo or Praxis thread around here.

Yesterday....

You don’t stop playing because you grow old; you grow old because you stop playing.

If that was any time in the last week: Jesus christ isn't your face freezing off?

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    If that was any time in the last week: Jesus christ isn't your face freezing off?
    It was this weekend about 1pm and in a windsheltered zone; I was pretty warm after skinning .

Thread resurrection. This ski has sort of gone into the abyss. I was expecting it go big time though. What is the deal? Dims look good on paper, looks like a good touring rig. Is the reason that there are so many other options in this waist dim. class?? Inquiring minds want to know!

was just on the site looking them up again(weight w ul core is 8.3. I've wanted a shorter pair 178-182 and now with "shortj's" mod tailcut for skins to a protest thread, essentially making a 187protest a 182 I thought I'd revisit it. now I want a pair. going to have to wait though. possible loto win tonight

I bought the 1.0. Mounted. Toured. Hated it in variable snow. Sold it. Though per kid woo, the 2.0 is a HUGE improvement...
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

haa imagine that. also have a feeling I'm going to want to only ski on my ul gpo's. weird that my med stiff 182 gpo is same weight as med 187 ul wootest. thought the woo would be a touch lighter. I just like the protest so much. maybe stick w protest/gpo combo I have . wish I could try them

I'm not even seeing them on the website at the moment?
    Life is not lift served.

I think I looked in the custom section to see what ul build would be

Keith advised me to stick with gpo/protest combo.
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

was my thinking but yet to ski on my gpo's. still want a pair though. just don't need them. I bet they're fun and versatile for touring