Day-Glo Wetsuits

They're back in the lineup, at least on the ASP Tour. How long will this trend last, and will it trickle-down to the AVG-Joe? The MFGR's have gone all-in for color in skiing/snowboarding, limiting the apparel choices for any adult who does not want to look like a puked up Skittles bag. Hope this trend goes away, and quick.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	e5star-wetsuits-21355933.jpg 
Views:	891 
Size:	17.0 KB 
ID:	115301

Quote Originally Posted by boltonoutlaw View Post
    Hope this trend goes away, and quick.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	e5star-wetsuits-21355933.jpg 
Views:	891 
Size:	17.0 KB 
ID:	115301
    Why? You can still always get black. In wetsuits, and in ski gear.

As for the bright colors, it works for skiing. For so many reasons. Finding your friend at a busy resort. Being bright enough so Joey Go Pro don't run you down. Visibility in a white out (try following a skittle in a blizzard. Easy stuff). Better contrast for pictures.

As for surfing, the only advantage I see is the last one. I know when I am shooting the surf, I like the guys in bright colors. Better contrast against the wave. But I am never looking for my friends in a busy lineup. And if I were, the variety of pant, coat, helmet color scheme just won't be there.

Do you hope this goes away because you hate color? Or is it just choice and freedom you hate? Holy shit, I think you hate Amerika!!!! You must be a commie. But then again, if that were true, you would like red. Now I am confused.

I'm just hoping it won't go back to the Op days of SoCal, that's all.

Regards snowsports: Solid color = OK. Plaids, polka dots, and clown suits = Not OK. And for a while there it was nearly all clown suits. Hard to find something (from Burton) that didn't make you look like a 15 year-old dork.

Hard to find something (from Burton) that didn't make you look like a 15 year-old dork.
    I think your problem is buying Burton gear!

How bout you try to not be Mr fashion police.... who cares

sent from the future using my mind powers
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Color Blocking. That is what it is all about. Just watch the documentary on Glamor. That is all the information you need.

Have you seen any polka dot wetsuits around? That would be sick.

People that complain about brightly colored clothing probably also yell at kids to get off their lawn.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

^^^Only if they're dressed like assholes!

^^^Only if they're dressed like assholes!
    Covered in hair and their own shit? Yea I'd probably tell that person to get off my lawn too but I fail to see what that has to do with anything.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

I could be wrong but the average joe will probably never wear it and the average local ripper probably will. Maybe I think that because I've seen bright colored wetsuits in the lineup for years. I wasn't really aware this was a new thing.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Here's one I don't get - why are so many rashguards dark colors like black? Who wants to wear black in the tropics, it's fucking hot. And why the only other choice being white which ends up less than white not long after it's worn more than once in the water?

You just need a pattagucci hooded long sleeve grey rash guard, with stash pocket. Retail is only like $130. I got mine on super sale, and it is still the same color that I bought it. Then again, life has since conspired to keep me far away from the tropics and it has yet to see the sun.

do the hipsters wear baggy wetsuits?

does anyone make tall tee rash guards?
    . . .

I could be wrong but to me it seems the white rash guards also have less UV protection. I remember a few 7-8 hour session days in the tropics where I got some sun through the rashy, not bad but definitely noticeable. That's why I roll with my fullsuit with hood to the tropics these days. Maybe the tall tee rashy is the call

Edit, I can't say I roll to the tropics these days. I just passed up a trip to a right hand sand point heaven and saw the pictures of what I missed, I'm now depressed thinking about this topic.
    Last edited by Piggity; 05-04-2012 at 11:19 AM.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    You just need a pattagucci hooded long sleeve grey rash guard, with stash pocket. Retail is only like $130. I got mine on super sale, and it is still the same color that I bought it. Then again, life has since conspired to keep me far away from the tropics and it has yet to see the sun.
    heh, I'd actually bought one on sale at the outlet a bit ago. didn't like the neck, but still nice and the right color. Looks like they've discontinued it on their website like most everything that isn't a down sweater. Just weird looking at the other sales in town and seeing row after row of dark rashguards - who buys them? Wetsuit necks are so much nicer than the used to be.

yeah my old white rashie looks like my new light grey one.

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post

does anyone make tall tee rash guards?
    Because I am too cheap to replace things that are not quite yet completely ruined, I wore one for a while. Bought it on sale a size too big. No big issue there until the stretch and spring starts to wear thin. Then add four to six years, and slowly it turns into a tall T with multiple holes for extra hipster effect. Funny thing is, it still did its job of keeping my chest hair from becoming part of my wax job. And offered sun protection where it was not torn. And if the knot came out of it, it would hang down almost to my knees.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Just weird looking at the other sales in town and seeing row after row of dark rashguards - who buys them?
    Apparently no one buys them, so they pretty much take up the entire sale rack. Wonder how many seasons it will take before the manufacture figures out they are losing money on black, even though black is soooooo arty and cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Here's one I don't get - why are so many rashguards dark colors like black? Who wants to wear black in the tropics, it's fucking hot. And why the only other choice being white which ends up less than white not long after it's worn more than once in the water?
    i used to own a black one back when living in SD (15 yrs ago). i found the black worked well for me in that moderate-temp water in the summertime. i'd imagine that i bought black cuz it was on sale.