Computer Science Corp - CSC

Hi,

Does anyone work at CSC?

Looking for some info. Healthcare IT consulting gig. Work from home or commute to client. In med term - all commute.

nobody has any info on the company?

surely some DC IT mags have something to say.

the feedack I have is that it is all about the contract. CSC doesn't help you get your next contract.

anybody?

I'll jump in. I have not worked as an employee of CSC, but I have worked on projects w/CSC contractors. My take from discussions is they're similar to my job as a software consultant:

1. It's about being billable and meeting your targets in billable hours (and sales if you're doing that). Not sure how CSC does it exactly, but the firm I work for has 'utilization target' that is an annual percentage goal for billable work. For example a 70% UT goal means I have 30% of my FTE for paid-time off (vacation/sick), career development, sales, papers/conferences, etc...

2. As a consultant, you must sell yourself internally and externally - to keep your utilization up. I'm pretty sure this is what you are referring too. I don't know of any consultant-type job where this is not a must-have on some level. If you're entry level, the expectations are lower, but if you coming in at mid-grade or higher....

3. You bust it for a few years and work your way into a niche - then write your ticket w/your clients. I'm very blessed and fortunate that I get to enjoy life in the mountains now, and have financial security and a little bit of job security.

4. I don't know how hard they work you at CSC. Some of these firms work their employees to the ground. Maybe that's your thing; I dont know. But, I've found there are some warning indicators (e.g., "We really believe in team building" or "we're all close and like to hang out").

Gook luck!
    “I mean god damn, who could believe that shit.” Greg Noll, Riding Giants

what will you be doing? i worked at a hospital with CSC contractors who worked on our claims/billings system in Unix/Universe/Pickbasic. that was some of the crappiest programming i have ever seen. HCFA reporting is a nightmare too. try to stay away from that.

migrating appointments out of a very old Siemens system at a very large hospital with high ambulatory usage. the appointments are used to schedule recurring cancer treatments

long commute - 5:00 AM east coast - 11:45 mountain
    leave mid afternoon thursday

expected to bill 40 hours a week

friday work at home day

not sure how much work I can do commuting

three weeks vacation