2012 XT or Hope TechX2 hydros..

I'm looking at these 2 brakes and am wondering if any of y'all have any experience or reviews you'd like to share.

Some stuff I am interested in:
    -power and modulation
    -finicky
    -squeeky
    -pads
    -bleeding, easy or difficult

Thanks in advance!!

No experience with 2012 but have liked both of them in older versions. The 2011 XT brakes I had were great in all the categories you listed. The bleading was really easy. I only rode them for about 6 months before selling the bike they were on but they seemed pretty good as a set it and forget type of brake. I also had a early 2000's set of hope brakes that I loved. I have no idea on how the newer hope brakes perform though.

I know nothing about the Hope's other than they look pretty cool, but I've had good luck w/ Shimanos. You can frankenstein together just about any combo of parts and they'll still work, and I like personally like that they use mineral oil rather than DOT3/4 stuff.

The new 2012 and 2013 Shimano stuff is awesome and requires very little effort to setup. Very strong braking. Good control.

My experience with the older Hope stuff is this; the feel was second to none, but required a lot of time/effort to get them perfect in terms of noise, vibration, etc. More than other brakes anyway. Once setup, they rocked...

Some people don't care, but the mineral oil with the Shimanos is way less nasty than DOT brake fluid that you run with the Hopes. Is that still the case with the newer generation Hope brakes. That matters to me....

I will say that the Shimano power seems to come on differently than it used to. Like earlier? I'll go out on a limb and say that I think this is related to companies building brakes that come on stronger sooner for use with bigger wheels. Just my thoughts though...

Does anybody have any opinions on the new XT brakes vs. Formula RXs?

(Sorry for the thread sway, tellybele.)

Quote Originally Posted by AKbruin View Post

(Sorry for the thread sway, tellybele.)
    no worries! I do the shit all the time!

Mineral oil is a big plus for me. The easyness of set and forget is also what I am after. It is just that I can get a sweet dealio on the Hopes but am wondering if in the long run I'd be more stoked on the XTs. I end up taking my wheels off a fair bit and would hate to deal with disc rub as a result...??

Leaning XT....

Just ordered the new XTs from Performance ($130 each). Everything I have read and heard about them indicates that they are great brakes and low maintenance. I don't know much about Hopes, but I know Marshall held a high opinion of them.

Edit: Competitive Cyclist has them for $119 each. Thankfully, Performance does price matching.
    Last edited by AKbruin; 05-02-2012 at 05:52 PM.

if you get the new hopes, be sure to get the EVO version of the tech lever, not the other sort which could likely be on closeout. the orignial tech levers had the lever pivot in the wrong place, so they are wicked undergunned.

i really like the new m4's. near saint power/modulation in a package that is only 40g heavier than XTR (ie way lighter than xt's), and they have rad pad contact and lever adjusters that really actually work.

not ridden the x2's since they were the mini style. but they are super nice, though more of an XC brake in terms of power (ie elixer/magura) not nearly DH power like the xt's.

the xt's will be more powerful for sure than the x2, but the x2 is way lighter, with adjustments in the lever that actually do something. both are among the best for low need of bleeds and ease of maintenance on the market. the xt's are only about 15g lighter than a saint brake, so if you actually need high power, also look at the m810 saint stuff too.

i have not ridden the new SLX brakes, but other than non-finned pads, i am pretty darn sure they are the same as the xt's other than paint job, FWIW.

clear as mud, i am sure.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

I have the full bling xtr trails and I don't understand why other companies are still making brakes. Never squeal, have never bled them, fricken work better than anything else I've ever tried. They are one of those try them and you'll be shocked items.

Quote Originally Posted by AKbruin View Post
    Disclaimer: I don't own Formula brakes (and never have), so my first-hand experience is limited. A few guys I ride with love them, but it sure sounds like the Formulas are a lot more finicky - require replacement of seals, rebuilds of calipers, etc much more frequently.

In my experience, the XT's have excellent power (and like Marshall, I'm not sure I'm able to discern much of a difference between SLX & XT [and even XTR for that matter]), and a nice firm lever - and on top of that, are super easy to bleed.

Quote Originally Posted by marshalolson View Post
    if you get the new hopes, be sure to get the EVO version of the tech lever, not the other sort which could likely be on closeout. the orignial tech levers had the lever pivot in the wrong place, so they are wicked undergunned.

i really like the new m4's. near saint power/modulation in a package that is only 40g heavier than XTR (ie way lighter than xt's), and they have rad pad contact and lever adjusters that really actually work.

not ridden the x2's since they were the mini style. but they are super nice, though more of an XC brake in terms of power (ie elixer/magura) not nearly DH power like the xt's.

the xt's will be more powerful for sure than the x2, but the x2 is way lighter, with adjustments in the lever that actually do something. both are among the best for low need of bleeds and ease of maintenance on the market. the xt's are only about 15g lighter than a saint brake, so if you actually need high power, also look at the m810 saint stuff too.

i have not ridden the new SLX brakes, but other than non-finned pads, i am pretty darn sure they are the same as the xt's other than paint job, FWIW.

clear as mud, i am sure.
    I have a set of 2012 Hope X2 Evo's on my Mukluk. I'm 160mm front and rear, and even for warm-weather mountain biking, I don't find myself wanting for much more power. They're not quite as grabby as some of the other brakes I've ridden, but I haven't found myself in a situation where they haven't been able to provide enough stopping power. That being said, I live in flatlandia, our longest descents aren't more than maybe about two minutes, so heat build-up isn't much of an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by flatlander#2 View Post
    I have the full bling xtr trails and I don't understand why other companies are still making brakes. Never squeal, have never bled them, fricken work better than anything else I've ever tried. They are one of those try them and you'll be shocked items.
    I'm currently building a new single speed and have decided on XTR's myself - having spent time on XT's, X2's, multiple Elixirs, Juicy Carbons, Hayes Nines & Strokers, and Magura Louises, I prefer the high-power & instant-on of Shimano's offerings. I've heard nothing but praise of the new XTR brakes; simply can't wait to get my hands on a set.

The new XTs absolutely rock. That is all.

I'm about to order the SLX's, and every pic I have seen of them includes finned pads. Am I missing something?

I have the xt's

The nature of the riding here is that I climb,and then do long fast decents down trails that are lift accessed for down hill. I'm 6'2" and almost 200#, and I have never wanted for more power. I've bled them, and although I have extensive experience doing that with cars and motorcycles, it is the first bike I've done it on and it was easy. I don't have a strong reference point as the only disc brakes I've had are xt's. But I am pretty particular when it comes to my bike and will be the first to bitch and whine if something isn't right. I would buy another pair of xt's without reservation. They do what a brake is supposed to. They work and have never left me stranded in the middle of no where.

Quote Originally Posted by willmtbike4food View Post
    Disclaimer: I don't own Formula brakes (and never have), so my first-hand experience is limited. A few guys I ride with love them, but it sure sounds like the Formulas are a lot more finicky - require replacement of seals, rebuilds of calipers, etc much more frequently.
    FWIW I have been running a set of Formula Oro brakes for 3+ years and have only replaced the pads. I'm about to bleed them for the first time. Not because they are spongy but because I feel like they have been neglected. Hope I don't screw em up!

Everyone with the new SLX/XT/XTR's do you have the little external reservoir?

I just bought XTRs and found them straightforward to bleed, but had to use an Avid Syringe for the external reservoir (older versions didn't need this).

All in all light-years easier than Avids process.

Quote Originally Posted by willmtbike4food View Post
    I have a set of 2012 Hope X2 Evo's on my Mukluk. I'm 160mm front and rear, and even for warm-weather mountain biking, I don't find myself wanting for much more power. They're not quite as grabby as some of the other brakes I've ridden, but I haven't found myself in a situation where they haven't been able to provide enough stopping power. That being said, I live in flatlandia, our longest descents aren't more than maybe about two minutes, so heat build-up isn't much of an issue.
    when you are ready for new pads, put some goodridge g* metallic pads on there. i think what you are talking more about the stock organic pads grab opposed to the brake's feel itself.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

when you are ready for new pads, put some goodridge g* metallic pads on there. i think what you are talking more about the stock organic pads grab opposed to the brake's feel itself.
    Good to hear - I'll get my hands on these in the next week or two to see if there's an improvement because I like everything else about the Hopes and could be convinced to stick with them rather than the XTRs if I could gain just a bit more 'bite.' Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by knumbskull View Post
    FWIW I have been running a set of Formula Oro brakes for 3+ years and have only replaced the pads. I'm about to bleed them for the first time. Not because they are spongy but because I feel like they have been neglected. Hope I don't screw em up!
    Well I finally bled them. It was a pain in the ass but it was worthwhile. The oil was very dirty, looked like sludge.