Thread: Edward Abbey

Edward Abbey

Just started reading Monkey Wrench Gang. Love the imagery of the West, and have really enjoyed the chapters focusing on Seldom Seen Smith, being a boatman myself. Anyone else into his works?

Love his wry sense of humor as well.
    "...no hobby should either seek or need rational justification. To find reasons why it is useful or beneficial converts it at once from an avocation into an industry, lowers it at once to the ignominious category of an exercise undertaken for health, power or profit."
    -Aldo Leopold

Check out Desert Solitaire.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Hugh Conway Guest
    He had a couple article published in Mountain Gazette that were enjoyable. At least one's reprinted in the anthology

Viva - That's probably next on my list.

Hugh - I'm always up for a good article/essay; are either of these the anthologies you're referring to? http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&keyw...20Abbey&page=1
    "...no hobby should either seek or need rational justification. To find reasons why it is useful or beneficial converts it at once from an avocation into an industry, lowers it at once to the ignominious category of an exercise undertaken for health, power or profit."
    -Aldo Leopold

Desert Solitaire's a must read. There's a sequel to Monkey Wrench Gang called Hayduke Lives! that was published shortly after Abbey's death. Not as good, but still worth a read...

Sent from my DROIDX using TGR Forums

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by flyandski365 View Post
    Viva - That's probably next on my list.

Hugh - I'm always up for a good article/essay; are either of these the anthologies you're referring to? http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&keyw...20Abbey&page=1
    This one
    http://www.amazon.com/When-Doubt-Go-...5919857&sr=1-1
    apparently a number of the old issues are up on issuuu if you are interested in them:
    http://issuu.com/summit-publishing/docs/mg15/1
    the linked doesn't have an abbey article but may have a few good bits of ski stuff.

Awesome, thanks!
    -Aldo Leopold

His best novel is Fool's Progress...took him 20 years to write but he refined the artform
    We build statues out of snow, and weep to see them melt...

Some days I want to blow up all those damn billboards between Santa Rosa and Clines Corners. Or at least spray paint "Burma Shave" on them.

Learned a lot from his writings.

Desert Solitaire is his best, IMO. Fantastic writing.

Quote Originally Posted by La Vaina Ajena View Post
    His best novel is Fool's Progress...took him 20 years to write but he refined the artform
    If that novel really is semi-autobiographical, its no wonder he's a cranky old man. Quite the sad story.

If you're a boatman, the next one of his you should read is Down the River, a collection of essays about, (no shit!) rivers. I first read it on the Colorado, and bring it on every river trip I go on.
    Skiing, whether you're in Wisconsin or the Alps, is a dumbass hick country sport that takes place in the middle of winter on a mountain at the end of a dirt road.
    -Glen Plake