Page 1 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

2012 NBA playoffs thread

Didn't see a thread started yet on the 2012 NBA playoffs, so here it is...

That Clippers comeback in game 1 vs. the Grizzlies was amazing. It'll be a fun series to watch as it unfolds.

The only other game 1 that I watched was Mavericks vs. Thunder -- close game throughout. The Thunder are fun to watch, but I'm still left with the impression that I'm watching really skilled pickup ball. The Mavericks can outplay (and outcoach) the Thunder, but I wonder if the youth/athleticism of the Thunder will win them that series.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

I'm hoping the blowouts and big injuries are over with. I watched most of the games on DVR, so at least I could FF through most of the boring parts, but I'd rather have more close games.
    Western Conf: Mavs/Thunder was my favorite of the weekend, but the Clips/Grizz 4thQ was outrageous. Loved the CP3 post game interview, too!
    Eastern Conf: I really want Ray Allen in for the C's and I'd love Garnet to show up. Pierce was putting in effort but was well guarded. Rondo impressed me, but damn he can't lose composure like he did - if he hadn't been ejected they could've had a much better chance to close strong - they better win without him in the next game. Missed most of the Philly/Bulls, but saw the Rose knee - so heartbreaking. Fuck that shoe designer from Nike tweeting "shoulda signed with Nike" shit about Rose & Shumpert.
    another Handsome Boy graduate

rondo is a no brainer, gotta be to run with a dislocated elbow.
    he is just wired differently
    sucks for rose
    bf

I switched to a movie toward the end of the third quarter of the Clippers game yesterday. Oh well.

The Mavs-Thunder game was good, although I hated Scott Brooks's stupid play call on the Thunder's last possession, which is pretty much always the same: Pass it to Durant (usually a 3-4' outside the arch), wind the clock down, and let Durant do an awkward shot in ISO. Yesterday, it was an awkward and well-contested driving shot that actually worked out. But I've watched a lot of Thunder games and it fails much more than it succeeds. I'm not saying Durant shouldn't take the final shot most of the time, but it shouldn't be the same contested-isolation play each and every time. Let Harden or Westbrook, both of whom are clutch and more than capable of creating their own shot, take one once in a while. Or at least design a play that makes it seems like this is even remotely a possibility.

Still, Thunder in 6.

So much for my first post speculating about the Mavs-Thunder.

With the injuries to Derrick Rose and Dwight Howard, the Bulls-76ers and Magic-Pacers series are different than expected. Anyone think the Heat have any serious challengers left in the eastern conference?

Predictions for the western conference? I'm going with the Thunder over Lakers (or Nuggets, if they somehow recover). Spurs vs. Clippers (or Grizzles, if they somehow recover) should be a fun series.
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Anyone think the Heat have any serious challengers left in the eastern conference?
    As a Celtics fan, I am contractually obligated to say that the Celtics can definitely knock off the Heat, especially now that they may face a very depleted Bulls team in Rd 2.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    As a Celtics fan, I am contractually obligated to say that the Celtics can definitely knock off the Heat, especially now that they may face a very depleted Bulls team in Rd 2.
    There is a lot of sentiment out there that the Celtics can bother the Heat. If they can get to the EC Finals without grinding down their old guys too much, particularly by going only 5 games or so per series, they have a shot.

Out west - Thunder vs. Lakers is going to be a great series with all the drama (Kobe vs Durant, MWP vs Harden, Westbrook at home in LA, Perk vs Bynum, etc). I don't know if the Clippers can beat the Spurs, not even if Blake keeps getting better and CP3 does his best work. The Spurs are just so good. But are they better than the Thunder? I think the Spurs could beat Lakers, but if the Lakers beat the Thunder they will have so much momentum.
    another Handsome Boy graduate

Really looking forward to the Thunder-Lakers series that kicks off tonight. I'm guessing Thunder in 5 (I just don't trust the Lakers yet), but I'd love to see it go to 7.

As for the Clips and Spurs, I could give a shit. The Spurs are always boring. The Clips, for all their dunks and what not, can be pretty hard to watch, especially in half-court sets. Also, like Z-Bo said, they flop a lot.

I don't see the 76ers or Pacers as serious contenders, so I'm hoping the Celtics and Miami dispatch them quickly so that we can see them play each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Metta World Peace
    I don't shake substitutes' hands.
    What a dick, lol. The Celtics got a shitty call on KG at the end.
    Last edited by Tuckerman; 05-17-2012 at 12:09 PM.
    People should learn endurance; they should learn to endure the discomforts of heat and cold, hunger and thirst; they should learn to be patient when receiving abuse and scorn; for it is the practice of endurance that quenches the fire of worldly passions which is burning up their bodies.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

Game 1 of Lakers-Thunder was an impressive performance by the Thunder. After the first quarter, the Lakers looked old, tired, spent. Bynum was quite effective in that quarter, but they stopped feeding him the ball by the second half -- it didn't really look like the Thunder were preventing Bynum from getting good looks, though, so I don't know what happened. The Lakers gave up by the 4th quarter, when both teams emptied their benches, and that Lakers' benchwarmer (Ebanks? Eubanks?) played a few minutes, got in a fight, then got ejected.

This will be a good series.

Postgame interview with Artest/World Peace, when Sager asked him about the game: "I think we did OK." Hmm...

LOL

Game 2 of Lakers-Thunder: OKC barely pulled that one out, but a win is a win.

After Artest/World Peace's scintillating post-game interview after game 1, it looks like the reporters are just going to keep flocking to him in the hopes of getting more quality sound bites.

As another Celtics homer, they have a chance against Miami. IIRC, they were 3-0 against Miami this year. However, the C's have played well for two games out of nine so far in the playoffs. I'm hoping that they're biding their time and picking their spots instead of just old and tired (and hurt). The best thing that can happen is they finish off Philly in 5 and get a few days off.
    We heard you in our twilight caves, one hundred fathom deep below, for notes of joy can pierce the waves, that drown each sound of war and woe.

Brutal for the Lakers. They've pretty done much of what they wanted to do--establish the dominance of their bigs--and even when OKC has an off shooting night, they still lose. Durant had a weird game.

Gotta say that Kenny Smith and Barkely are probably my favorite television analysts for any sport. They are knowledgeable, genuine (which is becoming a rarer quality in the shouting-head-world of sports analysis these days), and entertaining. I don't dislike Shaq, but his presence is far from necessary.

Kenny and Chuck are great.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

^^^ Don't forget the coach. Does anyone seriously think Mike Brown is a good coach?
    We heard you in our twilight caves, one hundred fathom deep below, for notes of joy can pierce the waves, that drown each sound of war and woe.

Nope. Mike Brown sucks ass. Terrible hire.

As for ncognico's rant, please don't forget that Chris Paul should be playing for the Lakers this year if it weren't for the fact that the NBA higherarchy is a total fucking joke.

And this might be a little early, but apparently Chris Bosh isn't a third wheel and/or the Pacers are for realz.
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

Pacers by 20 or so over the Heat, up 2-1 in the series. Not what anyone predicted.

Yeah Lebron and Wade looked like a couple of cry babies out there.
    whatever I feel like i what to do!

^^^Had that same thought this morning. In many ways, the Pacers seem to be a better version of the Sixers (young team, no bona fide star, etc.), so we'll see how that goes.

man was Brandon Bass feeling it tonight or what? 9-15, 9-10, 27, 22 in the second half, yow.

Yuuuuuuup.

whoa, good seats.

Lakers lost because they were afraid of that big fucking beard....holy shit, Kobe looked like that massive beard frightened him a few times!
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

No, no, Kobe said they lost because of Pao.