Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    He might have a Twizzler allergy?
    ummm, that would have been sussed out in week 1 of Film Study class...
    ... jfost is really ignorant, he often just needs simple facts laid out for him...

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Any companies that I should look into where I could get a foot in the door while stuck in NJ for 2 more years? (even if that means volunteering my time on nights/weekends).
    This is the only question I saw in your post.

What comes to mind is corporate America - get your foot in the door son!

Barista at Starbucks
    WalMart Greeter
    Burger Flipper at McDonald's
    Grease Monkey Oil Changer
    Blockbuster Clerk

Just a few ideas....

or for real, why not work remotely for a CO company while you are in NJ?? In 2012, this can be done easier than you might think. For example, you could easily edit Blurred Chronicles while based in New Jersey....

Quote Originally Posted by Hott Butt Mud View Post
    ....... For example, you could easily edit Blurred Chronicles while based in New Jersey....
    Here's the rough cut of vol. 1...get to editing:

Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

NJ is a hotbed for pharmaceutical companies. If I had to stick it out for 2 years and hope to travel across the company with job security intact, I would get into this industry.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    No matter what I am in NJ for the next 2 years. My girl is already enrolled in school, and she is actually so awesome that I will gladly wait for her to finish school.

She is encouraging me to find happiness and wants to raise a family with me in colorado in a little cabin, even though we could stay here and make super bank.

What good is a million in the bank when you hate your job, live in a hellhole and get 2 weeks a year?

A million in the bank is a great start, it leaves a lot of room hate in other areas.
    If the shocker don't rock her, then Dr. Spock her. Dad.

Parks/Forest Circus?

What good is a million in the bank when you hate your job, live in a hellhole and get 2 weeks a year?
    Anyone who makes bank has way more than 2 weeks a year. If you don't get at least 3 weeks you're in a sucker job.

Quote Originally Posted by systemoverblow'd View Post
    Anyone who makes bank has way more than 2 weeks a year. If you don't get at least 3 weeks you're in a sucker job.
    Anyone who has a million in the bank and earned it, is probably a work-a-holic with no life that wouldn't walk away from work for 2 days let alone 2 weeks. The problem for Phishow is that teh old man will have him chained to a desk if he takes over the oil company, so he'd rather look a gift horse in the mouth and manage the carwash. Poor Phishy.
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature... Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. -Helen Keller

Managing a carwash in New Jersey? Guessing the donkey show at Mooby's didn't pan out quite like Randal planned. To bad he burnt down the Quick Stop.
    Life is simple. Go Explore.

Japan/CB?

Med school with Max?

No matter what I am in NJ for the next 2 years. My girl is already enrolled in school, and she is actually so awesome that I will gladly wait for her to finish school.

She is encouraging me to find happiness and wants to raise a family with me in colorado in a little cabin, even though we could stay here and make super bank.

There is a certain kind of person who can do well at things they hate. They figure it pays the bills and their babies' gotta have milk so they get out of bed every morning and trundle off to something that dulls their senses and makes them envious of other people.

Then there are people like me who have discovered through trial and much painful error that doing something I dislike is a surefire recipe for eventual failure, no matter how hard I try to make it work. The only thing that could entice me into a line of work I'm not enthusiastic about now would be mountains of cash and the knowledge that with said mountains I could walk away from it very comfortably in ten years or less.

I don't know what kind of person you are, but the people I know who are the happiest are the ones that have found something they enjoy doing and are pursuing it, even if they don't make as much money as a dentist or lawyer or financial wiz.

So the ticket, as I see it, will be to figure out what makes you feel good about getting up and going to work most days. There will always be times when it sucks, but if the majority of days are ones where you don't dread going off to make a living or even better yet, where you are enthused about what you're going to be doing that day then everything else will fall into place. Whatever that is, do it or something related to it, and keep an open mind. I don't know anything about what inspired you to get a film degree, but I'd guess that you might not mind working in the production side of things. Surely there are TV stations in Colorado that could use producers or cameramen. There are definitely stations in NJ that could use producers and cameramen. Maybe get a job with a TV station to learn the ropes, even if it's just sweeping the floors at first. Your management experience will look good on a resume, it shows responsibility and that you know how to work well with other people. Another thought is managing an outdoors store, if you don't mind the idea of working in retail. One of the big chains like REI or a smaller independent might need a good person. I skied with the bootfitter from one of the better known independent stores around here earlier this year. His schedule is flexible enough that he gets a lot of days in.

Just random thoughts from a guy who's never been very successful financially but has finally figured out what he likes doing, doesn't dread going to work in the morning any more, and finds that being a weekend warrior isn't the worst thing in the world.
    ...Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain...

"I enjoy skinny skiing, bullfights on acid..." - Lacy Underalls

The problems we face will not be solved by the minds that created them.

As a few of you know I went AWOL from CO a little over 2 years ago. Just straight up vanished. Now that I am getting my shit together and finally growing up, I realize that life isn't just about partying and skiing and that I don't want to be a bum forever.

I know with 100% certainty now that living in NJ chasing paper is not what I was put on this earth for. What my exact purpose is I don't know, but I do know that I am an intelligent, hard-working person who just wants to find a balance between work and play.

I know I will most likely never ski 150+ days a year again,

All I need is a chance to prove that I can work my ass off, and mean business. I am not looking to make a fortune, and my experience over the last couple years has shown me that its not money that brings happiness, but being able to raise a family and live in a decent house on a piece of dirt that I own takes some real work.
    I assume you are sub-30? Got news for ya, Life is about skiing and partying (with moderation) but not being a bum.
    Fishing, climbing, friends, kids, biking, bagging peaks, travel and living your dreams.

As far as we all know, you only get one go around and it goes fucking quick. Enjoy it.

At 51, I wish for that 100+ season, the house is payed for, business is good and I wish I ski'd more when I was younger. Find a way to come west with some bank or some skills to earn hard through your 30's while playing hard.

When you get to mid life, if your still fit, knees still work and you don't have too many kids you will be glad to positioned in the mountains.

I will get past 40 days next year, ULLR be praised, and hope to get to 100 days while I can still ski hard 5-6 hours a day.

EMT, Drug sales, Medical equipment sales, Grip for MSP, whatever. X-ray tech? Lots of jobs pay well and are in demand out west.

Good luck, get back to the whiteroom!

why work for someone else? go get it.

Work in NYC for a while. Suck up the rotten commute and all that goes with it and gain some world experience in the only truly international city in the country. You will be exposed to things you never knew existed and people that may be able to help you later when you finally get to leave this place. Don't limit yourself to what you want to do, do everything and figure out what actually works for you.

go get some lottery tickets and keep planning your life, two years goes fast.
    another thing, get a real house before you have thing one or two, makes leaving them home alone while you shred the mountain easier.
    ....also, boatloads of $$$$bills does make life better than people would have you believe.
    hope you win the jackpot
    bobby

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Don't limit yourself to what you want to do, do everything and figure out what actually works for you.
    In a nutshell. You don't even know what is out there.

You have construction experience. You could easily use that to get into sales or inside sales at a supply house. You would probably have to start in the warehouse, learn the products, and then quickly move up if you have a head on your shoulders. You will probably start with 2 weeks a year. Sorry, this is reality. The nice thing here is that in 2 years, you should be relatively knowledgeable about products, and have a good feel for how the business runs. Anywhere in the country will have these sorts of supply houses.

I work in the electrical business. I am a direct factory rep. Many of the guys I work with started at supply houses like Graybar or Rexel, or even Grainger. They now are factory direct reps, or work for rep agencys locally.

Electrical is just one end of it. Lots of different opportunities, and the building sector is ramping up again. You have marketable skills from your construction experience. Lots of the guys I work with never even picked up a hammer, and it shows. The successful guys have worked in the field, know how to read a blueprint, know what a Gant chart is, and are interested in helping their customers complete the job on time.

You could likely transfer, or find another supplier in CO, when the time comes.

Oh, as an example. My buddy Mike started fresh out of college with Graybar. Started in the warehouse as a fast track trainee. He quickly moved up to sales rep in about 3 years. I would say he was making about $30,000 to start in 2000. Once he hit sales rep, he started to track toward management, and he was their top rep several years in a row. He was the #1 Square D rep in the country at least once. The economy tanked, and his management track slowed. Then, GE came calling. He is the GE rep here now. Probably making $120,000 plus bonuses, plus free car, insurance, and gas. Not earth shattering, but he has a nice life.

This is a potential track, or you can just answer an ad in the paper, like I did, and start in a business that you don't know jack about. There are a lot of manufacturers in NJ. Find out how they go to market, and see if that is a possibility.

be an attorney based out of Minturn...those guys make BANK
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

I heard mattress sales are killing it this quarter.

the blind leading the blind.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    Anyone who has a million in the bank and earned it, is probably a work-a-holic with no life that wouldn't walk away from work for 2 days let alone 2 weeks. The problem for Phishow is that teh old man will have him chained to a desk if he takes over the oil company, so he'd rather look a gift horse in the mouth and manage the carwash. Poor Phishy.
    Haters gonna hate. Believe it or not, some people don't want to do what everyone has always expected them to do.

There are some nice sentiments in here, and bits of good advice.

On the other hand, despite what everyone has mentioned about pharma (and yes NJ is one of the hearts that beat the industry) there are lots of misconceptions. Everyone seems to think that pharma is what it was in the 80s. IT'S NOT.

I own a medical company and have hired my share of ex-pharma people, much less worked in it post-undergrad for a while. Unless you like being a glorified caterer with a rotating "pod" of bosses and a call-plan you are not cut out for this job. Sorry, the days of unlimited AmEx'es and company cars with gas cards and entertainment accounts are A) gone with the 90's and B) available only to those who made it through the 90's (except the whole expense account thing, new laws got rid of all entertainment and what-not) also unless you have a bio, chem, or some kind of science background you ARE NOT going to get a call for an interview, much less beat out the 1000's (no joke, especially in NJ) of pharma reps that are out of work. I see so many resumes every day from pharma it's not even phunny.

Not trying to bring you down, just trying to save you some time and headache. Go the EMT route if you can, or hell, is it too late to try nursing? Seriously?

Good luck man. Pay your bills now and you'll be skiing in no time. Do Work.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    the blind leading the blind.
    I still call it The Jake.

I don't really mean this to come across as too hater-ish. And I am embarrassed that I know as much about your misadventures in life as I do. But seriously, the world doesn't owe you shit. You deserve nothing. You have squandered more opportunities than most people ever hope to get. You don't get a cool job and a hand built cabin in the mountains by asking for it on the internet. There are lots of people who would kill to make 50k managing a car wash and take care of their family. If that isn't good enough for you. Fucking do something about it. If you don't appreciate what you got, you don't deserve anything better. You can work construction anywhere. And you don't care how much you earn? Even better. You'll figure it out someday.

Haters gonna hate. Believe it or not, some people don't want to do what everyone has always expected them to do.
    But you'll take any help you can get, eh rebel?

Not sure what your film degree will get you in CO. If you're in the NYC area you might be able to get on some production crews and work your way up for a few years (pay's pretty good actually) - especially in set design/building with your construction bkgd. Then use your contacts to see if any production houses/networks exist in CO. There should be some.