Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane

The neverending saga of Wr_G...

As a few of you know I went AWOL from CO a little over 2 years ago. Just straight up vanished. Now that I am getting my shit together and finally growing up, I realize that life isn't just about partying and skiing and that I don't want to be a bum forever.

I know with 100% certainty now that living in NJ chasing paper is not what I was put on this earth for. What my exact purpose is I don't know, but I do know that I am an intelligent, hard-working person who just wants to find a balance between work and play.

I know I will most likely never ski 150+ days a year again, but shit 25 days/year would be way better than the 0 days I have skied since April 2010. In 2 years my GF will have her RN and we both want to move back to CO. Its the only place that has ever felt like home for me. I plan to keep saving money (damn near impossible on my salary in this hellhole), so that when we move we will have some cushion and maybe even a down payment on a house.

Biggest problem I see is finding a "real" job when I get back out there. Obviously, I would like to work in some aspect of the outdoor sports industry, but really any job where I am outside a good chunk of the time is what I need. I know NJ houses alot of corporate HQ for many parent companies with divisions all over the world. Any companies that I should look into where I could get a foot in the door while stuck in NJ for 2 more years? (even if that means volunteering my time on nights/weekends).

All I need is a chance to prove that I can work my ass off, and mean business. I am not looking to make a fortune, and my experience over the last couple years has shown me that its not money that brings happiness, but being able to raise a family and live in a decent house on a piece of dirt that I own takes some real work.

At least you're unique.

Did you finish college?

What do you do, and/or what's your degree in?

BA in Film. Lots of carpentry/masonry/painting experience. Some management. Currently managing a carwash and doing odd construction/landscaping work.

^ you see flatlander, he IS unique!

I'm thinking firefighter, or get into medical, paramedic maybe? You can match shifts with your GF and have lots of free time together for now, then split shifts when you guys get married and have a kid....
    ... jfost is really ignorant, he often just needs simple facts laid out for him...

Well, best advice I can give is shoot low. Move out of New Jersey. I did that recently, and it did a world of good. Major improvement, and I'm still close to the City. From there, I wish I had a solution. Although Denver rents are very reasonable, relatively speaking.

Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

get out of the east coast asap, the negaive ortex will only bring you down, like alabama or worse tennessee.
    move bck west young man
    bobby

You couldn't find a car wash to manage in Colorado?

Why don't you contact MSP in Crested Butte and see if you can get some form of gig there?

damn that's probably the best idea yet

My roommate from college is a camera guy for Absinthe in SLC. You could check that out too. I don't think he had any experience behind the camera, but I'm not sure. He used to ride for Burton, so I am sure he picked some stuff up along the way. I don't think he was formally trained though. I know for sure that he didn't study Scorsese films in school.

I would look into EMT or fire. Lots of friends went that route, and are really happy. You won't get rich, but you will have a solid career that is flexible, and leaves you enough time off to have a life.

Get your girlfriend to get her nurse practitioner ticket, marry her, take the rest of the day off. That was not so hard.
    If the shocker don't rock her, then Dr. Spock her. Dad.

You have a rocking Firefighter/EMT stache potential

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    BA in Film. Lots of carpentry/masonry/painting experience. Some management. Currently managing a carwash and doing odd construction/landscaping work.
    Don't you think managing a movie theatre would compliment your film degree a bit better than the carwash? Probably lots of those in Colorado.
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature... Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. -Helen Keller

Never-ending? Nah, you and everyone you know will be dead in the blink of an eye, and you're in jersey. Think about that.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________________
    "We don't need predator control, we need whiner control. Anyone who complains that "the gummint oughta do sumpin" about the wolves and coyotes should be darted, caged, and released in a more suitable habitat for them, like the middle of Manhattan." - Spats

"I'm constantly doing things I can't do. Thats how I get to do them." - Pablo Picasso

Cisco and his wife are fragile idiots who breed morons.

Where in NJ are you now?

Choose something and commit to it. For most of us, there is no Easy Button.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

I have several friends who are firefighters / EMTs. It's a sweet gig in terms of free time. Work 2 days and then you're off the clock for 4. Easy to go skiing for a couple of days between shifts even if you have to drive a couple of hours to get to the mountains. However, the jobs are not easy to come by but once you land one you're pretty set. Decent money too, at least in California but I assume the same for CO or elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    Choose something and commit to it. For most of us, there is no Easy Button.
    nevertheless, I keep looking for it.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I am in Hunterdon County now.

Most of us just kind of fell into our careers. I never thought I would do what I am doing, never mind for 15 years now. Why don't you just apply to everything you can, and see what happens? If getting out to CO is the ultimate goal, then get back there. No job in Jersey is going to guarantee a position in CO in 2 years. Get back there, and start at the bottom of a company. I wouldn't limit it to outdoor sports type stuff. Those jobs are tough to come by, and are usually filled by college grads willing to work for peanuts. That isn't always the case, but it is pretty tough to break into. If that is your goal, maybe Ogden is more what you are looking for.

contact Blurred, maybe he could use some help with teh Blurred Chronicles
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    Don't you think managing a movie theatre would compliment your film degree a bit better than the carwash? Probably lots of those in Colorado.
    He might have a Twizzler allergy?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........