That is all.
    No, the real point is, I don't give a damn
    - Carl

Fixed:

I didn't want to bike this year anyway.
    - Carl

Fuck that.
    "The skis just popped me up out of the snow and I went screaming down the hill on a high better than any heroin junkie." She Ra

Tell me what the fuck is going on in those pics G4F...

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    Tell me what the fuck is going on in those pics G4F...
    First shot is looking head on - plate on the lateral fibula to buttress over the fracture. I also managed to break the distal fragment more or less in half, so the the second view is looking from the side, and shows 2 free-floating bone screws anchoring those halves together, and the shorter plate anchoring that second fragment back to the distal end of the fibula. The problem with a break like this is that if you blow your fibula up badly enough at the joint, you can imagine that it would make the ankle unstable enough that the tibia can then slip off on the talus, which is the major-suck, and a compelling reason to surgerize.
    - Carl

That second pic looks like a bunch of hardware floating next to the bone....that's why I asked.

Heal well! cool pics. Wanna see a video of part of my ACL recon?
    Be more like your dog...

Out of morbid curiosity, how'd it happen?

-I had two surgeries this winter following a left ankle syndesmosis
    (Fighting friends drunk on the beach at night...good times...)

To note: Major healing took 4 months, on crutches, but I'm back skiing and playing now

Good Luck and Heal Fast!

How’s it holding up OP? I have a similar surgery scheduled for next Friday. Doc says I won’t have stability unless I get some hardware installed.

Bump for getting a similar surgery today.

Broke mine trail running. Going downhill slipped on ice, crack-snap-ouch. Convinced myself it was a bad sprain for a week. Finally got an xray done. Yup its broken.

Been hobbling for 2 weeks almost. Pain was bad day of, but manageable from there on.

Hopefully not getting as much hardware. But plan is for a plate and screws on one side and screws on the other. Will post hardware xray when I can. Recovery time = 3 months. Hardware out after 9.

Sent from my SM-J737T1 using Tapatalk

mine was a three-piece fracture more similar to the OPs --

nature of fracture was not communicated - and there was another family health matter that took priority...

without Surgery, mine took eighteen months to heal

( x-rays at nine months looked HORRIBLE )

NOT a skiing injury -- fell on ice and could not get off my right foot ( felt four distinct breaks )

it will take two more years for me to recover what form I can recover ( at sixty, I will not be the skier I was at forty )

heal up, fellas...

tj
    " ... I will do anything to go Skiing ... There Is no pride ... " (Miriam , 2005-2006 epic)

Dec21, 2016. LittleBigLost :
    " I think about it everyday. It is my reminder to live life to the fullest. I get up early, go to bed late, 'cuz I got shit to do. Like I said, I'm 61. Not going to wait till I'm 81 to do stuff, ...

Get out there and do stuff!

Enjoy life to the fullest!!

See you on the slopes! "

vibes. I had surgery and got a plate on the outside and screws from both sides. They said I will keep the hardware forever and that is the preference unless something goes wrong.
    Surgery was super painful. Way more pain than the injury
    I am back skiing and basically all the way recovered. In some ways I am still getting stronger but in some ways I am stronger than before.
    My boot guy put in a sweet punch to accommodate my hardware and this was totally necessary for me to return to skiing since the hardware was intolerable otherwise. I can put you in touch if you or your boot guy have questions about how to do the punch for your hardware
    Quote Originally Posted by Mokomahonah View Post

Broke mine trail running. Going downhill slipped on ice, crack-snap-ouch. Convinced myself it was a bad sprain for a week. Finally got an xray done. Yup its broken.

Been hobbling for 2 weeks almost. Pain was bad day of, but manageable from there on.

Hopefully not getting as much hardware. But plan is for a plate and screws on one side and screws on the other. Will post hardware xray when I can. Recovery time = 3 months. Hardware out after 9.

Quote Originally Posted by Mokomahonah View Post

Ouch. Can’t believe you hobbled around on that for two weeks. You’re probably looking at a plate one the fibula, screw in the medial malleolus, and a screw or two (or tightrope cable) across the syndesmosis. Really no reason for the hardware to ever come out unless it’s prominent and causing irritation. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by jerlane View Post
    Ouch. Can’t believe you hobbled around on that for two weeks. You’re probably looking at a plate one the fibula, screw in the medial malleolus, and a screw or two (or tightrope cable) across the syndesmosis. Really no reason for the hardware to ever come out unless it’s prominent and causing irritation. Good luck!
    To be fair I was on crutches after the first day of hopping. That will destroy your hip btw.

Thanks.

Was still a bit groggy still, but sounds like I got the tight rope treatment and some combination of screws and a plate. Surgeon said most people with this surgery dont get the hardware removed, but in a ski town most people elect to because it causes irritation in tight ski boots ect, I guess I'll make that decision down the road.

Been training for something, always joked "Alaska"- turns out it was just hobbling out of the woods.

Update with hardware...

And stitches...
    Last edited by Mokomahonah; 03-11-2020 at 03:53 PM.