Page 132 of 401 FirstFirst ... 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 ... LastLast
Results 3,276 to 3,300 of 10019
    Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    /\Get him some shoes! Nice looking course btw.
    He has shoes. Probably can't find them or more likely never looked.

Quote Originally Posted by skiballs View Post
    My oldest doesn't play, he will come out and provide commentary (see previous posts). I never pushed him to play, despite the fact that the 18th fairway is 40yds from our back door. My youngest is starting to play a little. He hasn't been digging the team sports. Once he realized that golf is more about, telling jokes and goofing around with the fellas, than playing some game. He has started to enjoy the game. The good part for me is that I get to play more golf.
    As long as they can get around without embarrassing themselves, and have a sense of etiquette I'm happy to play with them (anyone). If that's all you teach them you should be fine. I've played lots of rounds and remember some of them. I can probably remember all the times w the kids.

Hey I saw some jr clubs and bag at local junk store today - one driver two wedges no putter good condition - if anyone is interested I'll go back tomorrow and see how much - probably only a few $$ - will ship at your cost
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

If it has a pear of balls, I'm in.

Fore! Who's playing golf, yo-

I'll make sure there is a pare of balls.

I'll throw an appropriate sized putter in the bag.

^ damn, so close. Round here we only play with birdie balls. Gizzards are considered an acceptable alternative.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1408670160.135591.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	308.2 KB 
ID:	157619
    One of my 37.8 swings... Feel free to criticize!

Quote Originally Posted by Brianskis View Post
    Feel free to criticize!
    Get a haircut and loose the hat. Looks a little flippy at impact.

spook Guest
    i had a major breakthrough today. i've read and taken lessons and watched tv/video but i could not FEEL how to turn over the wrists with my arms fully extended, so i'd end up with my weight in the back and slicing or pulling on a regular basis because i wasn't releasing my wrists and transferring my weight so i ended up coming over the top of the ball from outside in.

last night after practicing a bit i was really frustrated and i spent a lot of time thinking last night and today i went with the specific intention of working predominantly on arm extension and turning over my wrists -- or throwing my hands at the ball as i've heard it described. i ran into my instructor from two years ago yesterday-- he's trying to make the latin america pga in a couple weeks -- and he said my back swing was great but i was breaking my wrists STILL which has always been a major problem.

i realized when i was hitting balls on the practice range today that a major problem was that i wasn't totally committed to my down swing because i was afraid of making a mistake and a shitty shot. i have slowed everything way down and i don't try to kill the ball, but i wasn't making my down swing with authority. today i focused only on keeping my rear arm closer to my body on the backswing and throwing my hands at the ball and it was just amazing.

after hitting about 30 balls i played 6 holes and my tee shots were perfect with the exception on 1 that i hesitated on and sliced it really bad. they were straight, high and long. 2 4 irons, 2 5 woods and 3 drivers -- i botched the first on the 6th hole but my second was perfect. my finish was weight forward, erect posture, arms high. great contact on all of them. of course, my wedge totally abandoned me and i was slicing the fuck out of ever time and barely getting it off the ground, when usually it has been pretty solid. everything around the green was solid -- chips, bunker shots and putting.

i can't wait to get back tomorrow. my tee shots have been so irregular that they've just been killing my score and my confidence. i feel like i made a huge leap. i haven't been keeping score and haven't played 18 yet, but hopefully i can get a couple full rounds in before i leave.

spook Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by telemike View Post
    have used that line a million times over the years.

A little flat and not fully extended at impact but otherwise good. Good turn to parallel.

A little flat and not fully extended at impact but otherwise good. Good turn to parallel.
    ya, pulling in in pic 2, not fully extended as you say. Pic one looks like the club got below parallel. Looks like he's setting up for a draw, guessing by foot position....
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Quote Originally Posted by spook View Post
    i had a major breakthrough today.............
    when i hear relative beginners talking about wrist cock, backswing, throwing hands at ball, etc,... what i think is that if you focused on making an actual shoulder turn, the rest will fall into place. Flat or steep takeaways, same thing.

try this. address the ball. slowly take the club back to waist level. The toe of the club points to the sky, the butt of the grip at the target. Then swing and on the backswing get your hands into the position described above and just turn your back to the target, and return.

grip, stance, and a solid takeaway move, coupled with a shoulder turn, and the hands and all those micro adjustments beginners get in their heads will resolve themselves.

or not. ymmv.

all advice is given with humility, and full acknowledgment that the game owns me and always will.

spook Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MMP View Post
    when i hear relative beginners talking about wrist cock, backswing, throwing hands at ball, etc,... what i think is that if you focused on making an actual shoulder turn, the rest will fall into place. Flat or steep takeaways, same thing.

try this. address the ball. slowly take the club back to waist level. The toe of the club points to the sky, the butt of the grip at the target. Then swing and on the backswing get your hands into the position described above and just turn your back to the target, and return.

grip, stance, and a solid takeaway move, coupled with a shoulder turn, and the hands and all those micro adjustments beginners get in their heads will resolve themselves.

or not. ymmv.

all advice is given with humility, and full acknowledgment that the game owns me and always will.

Shoulder turn absolutely. I left that out of my blog. That was the other thing my instructor mentioned. I was super rigid for the same reasons. Thanks for mentioning it. All the rest was also helpful because my instructor taught me those things as well. I like information so I read a lot but sometimes I get overloaded when it's time to put it into practice. Yesterday I finally understood the physical feeling.

Look at where hippie dudes hips are compared to the pics below.

Or for an even better view of the club head lagging wayyyyy behind the hip turn...

Name:	rory-mcilroy-golf-swing-analysis.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	24.2 KB 
ID:	157639

And that's how someone who is 5' 7" bombs it 330 yards regularly.

Fore! Who's playing golf, yo-

FKN app!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1408746797.061645.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	692.5 KB 
ID:	157640   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1408746809.077017.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	687.4 KB 
ID:	157641  

$20 + shipping

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1408747137.050903.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	687.4 KB 
ID:	157642

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1408747149.089568.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	692.5 KB 
ID:	157643

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1408747160.606005.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	708.9 KB 
ID:	157644

Irons are 36". Driver 38". No putter.

Good news: Got out and Shot an 85 at Paradise Valley in Fairfield yesterday. (Rating 70.6/slope 123). First round in a month. Kept stats.
    Bad news; Old story - feels like if I could play my wedges, I'd be a 9 or 10 instead of a 13.

Good news: 9/14 fairways, and good length. 3/4 par 3s, and won a bunch of greenies. 0 3-putts.
    Bad news: 7/18 GIR, 34 putts, 2.0 putts/GIR (a few singed edges on decent birdie chances). Only 2 one putts. 0/2 sand saves. Easily should have been able to manage 4-5 more one-putts from just off greens.

Good incentive to practice short game. Anyone got good references to some simple, but effective, short game practice drills or routines?

Quote Originally Posted by 54-46 View Post
    if I could play my wedges
    Trouble with full wedge or chipping?

More concerned about chipping. Counted about 6 crummy chips/sand shots; 3-4 mediocre to poor chips, and 2-3 times from fairway where I had 9 iron or SW in hand and created 0 good birdie chances. Full shot irons were generally pretty good though.

Chipping and sand are just spending the time to practice. If you don't have a place with a chipping area play late in the evening and practice around the greens after each hole. You don't have to rake sand when your the last one out..

Gotta put in the work, no doubt. Was also seeking references to tips to have organized/effective practice sessions and some checks re technique.

Quote Originally Posted by 54-46 View Post
    Gotta put in the work, no doubt. Was also seeking references to tips to have organized/effective practice sessions and some checks re technique.

Measure your chipping distances, 5-10-15-20 yds etc. Pace them off. There are so many different chip shots that require various t ball position and
    hands wrist action or inaction I wouldn't know where to begin.

This helped me:

Great link 4matic. I know I get too wristy with my chip shots at times.
    License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations