Page 227 of 402 FirstFirst ... 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 ... LastLast
Results 5,651 to 5,675 of 10029
    Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    It's a start. Still need to fix the lost ball rule. So you have three minutes to find your ball. Then what?
    then you either go back to the tee or hit your provisional? Or just do what many do, treat it as a lateral, drop it in the second cut if not the fairway, only take a one stroke penalty, hit the green, miss the first putt and rake up the two-footer as a gimme...

Their approach to the rules was one of the most interesting aspects of playing with members of the Rathmore Club/Valley Links of Royal Portrush last fall. A couple examples: we played one day that it rained pretty hard for the last 9 or 10 holes. But it was one of the competition days, everybody throws two quid into the pot. One player rewrote his scorecard on to a dry one, had his partner double-check and sign it. But he forgot to write in his current handicap index so was DQ'd. He would have won. Many American golfers would say that is just overkill, but to them you don't get to pick which rules to follow, it's all or none. In a club championship years ago over in the next town a buddy's opponent was caught having thrown his golf ball out of a deep hazard. Buddy didn't see it but another golfer did. The golfer was thrown out of the club the next day.

The other fun element there was the almost exclusive use of the Stableford scoring system. The only time they score stroke play is in some tournaments, to trim the field, after which they often go to match play. In Stableford you get one point for a net bogey, two/par, three/birdie, four/eagle, five/albatross. Biggest advantage was speeding up pace of play, as once you hit double bogey you've 'blanked' or scored zero so can just pick up. Also helped with the lost ball question, as if you hadn't hit a provisional, you'd just call the hole blanked and move along. Sure did take me by surprise the first time I asked somebody how their round was, and they replied that it was shite, only 14 points...wtf???
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

started working on my driver, 3 wood, hybrid the past couple trips to the range. i hit the hybrid and 3 wood pretty consisently straight but am still slicing the driver and even if hit it straight it barely goes further than the 3 wood. i have 2 drivers: an adjustable 9-11.5 think cobra with a stiff shaft and a ping 9.5 with regular flex shaft. i changed the cobra to 11.5 as everything i read says low speed amateurs need more loft, but with a slower swing speed i would not be using the stiff shaft. i was hitting the ping better but decided to try more loft. negligible improvement. something about making contact on the upswing i have not grokked yet.

Fore! Who's playing golf, yo-

I have clubs to sell: Titleist AP2 712s (5-PW) with i95 Steelfibers, 1" over, std loft/lie. Good condition. Looking for $275 + ship/PP. Thought I'd post this here for thread contributors before a general gear swap post.

I picked these up on a whim but they couldn't kick my MP60s out of the bag.
    Last edited by 54-46; 03-05-2017 at 10:02 AM.

Some of those rules will not stay.

Flagstick rule is awesome for club play.....but the tour players will reject that one 100% and maybe other proposed rules too.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

Quote Originally Posted by 54-46 View Post
    I have clubs to sell: Titleist AP2 712s (5-PW) with i95 Steelfibers, 1" over, std loft/lie. Good condition. Looking for $300+ship/PP. Thought I'd post this here for thread contributors before a general gear swap post.

I picked these up on a whim but they couldn't kick my MP60s out of the bag.
    sweet sticks. I'm back to my mizunos but need some steel fiber.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

Quote Originally Posted by DasBlunt View Post
    sweet sticks. I'm back to my mizunos but need some steel fiber.
    Yup - the Steelfiber shafts are about $47/ea on eBay. This is like getting some free AP2 heads to go with the shafts. Any takers before I post these up elsewhere?

Flagstick rule is awesome for club play.....but the tour players will reject that one 100% and maybe other proposed rules too.
    The tour rejected anchored putting rule. Still passed. I bet they would support a divot GUR rule.

The flagstick rule is a choice so why would that matter to pros?

The flagstick rule is stupid when the idiot USGA does not allow solo play for handicap scoring. That rule would really help solo play but now it doesn't matter anyway. Your solo score doesn't count. That is a speed golf rule already.

interesting. I would guess that pros would want the pin pulled on every putt for them, that more balls would bounce off it that be helped by it.
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

I'd like to see a rule that says if you kneel down and line up your 8 foot putt from more than one angle, then hold your club up and make a line, then talk to your buddy about it would break towards the water if it wasn't for the grain of the grass and then miss the putt, the players waiting for your group to clear the green get to hit you in the nuts with any club in their bag that has greater than 44 degrees of loft.

I'm for any rule change that speeds up the average pace of play. 95% of the people out there are both slow and bad. Be bad, that's fine. Just be fast. To me 18 should take no more than three hours. AT BEST.

Quote Originally Posted by lionelhutz View Post
    I'd like to see a rule that says if you kneel down and line up your 8 foot putt from more than one angle, then hold your club up and make a line, then talk to your buddy about it would break towards the water if it wasn't for the grain of the grass and then miss the putt, the players waiting for your group to clear the green get to hit you in the nuts with any club in their bag that has greater than 44 degrees of loft.

I'm for any rule change that speeds up the average pace of play. 95% of the people out there are both slow and bad. Be bad, that's fine. Just be fast. To me 18 should take no more than three hours. AT BEST.
    Seriously; it's like they're playing for $50 a hole.

My buddy and I are mediocre putters so we instituted a rule that we each toss $5 in the drink fund if we leave a makeable putt short. Makes for a good time after the round and actually helps our scores.
    Last edited by 54-46; 03-06-2017 at 10:04 AM.

Available Monday through Friday in the month of March only.

$39 Deal Includes all of the Following:

18 Holes of Golf w/Cart

Camas Meadows Logo Hat

Breakfast Burrito

Coffee

Includes cart.

Just present this email upon check in for your tee time.

Can be used for up to 4 people per tee time.

No substitutions on breakfast items.

Offer expires March 31, 2017

Let's do it. I have Mondays off thru March

Nor Cal golf report... it's still a little wet out there, even on the greens.

Playing a 7200 yard course (near sea level) when you get zero roll tee to green makes it feel brutally long, nevermind the rust.

Played solo and left the flag stick in on every hole. Definitely speeds things up; it's amazing seeing smart rule changes starting to happen in this seemingly forever stubborn game.

I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by k2skier112 View Post
    Let's do it. I have Mondays off thru March
    sounds good. i'll have my people contact your people.

totally alone at the range

Still in winter mode.
    Will reset lessons and practice in April!!!

i've had almost exclusively positive practice sessions putting, chipping, wedges, irons -- i added woods and driver which i hardly ever practice and even that went comparatively well. today was frustrating. i had a little fade going with my irons which i usually don't but i sliced the shit out of almost every driver. adjusted stance, posture, swing plane, etc. -- could not hit straight. i think part of it is fatigue. i've been sick for two months and still rehabbing hard so my knee is a little sore and my energy has been low. i also find if i try to play golf within 24 -36 hours of circuit training with weights my swing is irreparably off. i'm also wondering if i am coming out of my swing early shying away from the new (front) knee. anyway, i hit everything else pretty well considering I didn't have my best stuff.

i'm swinging the driver like an iron. it doesn't feel natural or comfortable at all at this point. swinging up, ball placement -- i hit it close to the center of the face pretty regularly but i am still coming steep over the top i guess.

When I get to the point where I'm doing something uncontrollably, it is time to see a pro. I ran into that last year when I was hitting everything fat. After several frustrating sessions where I couldn't fix the problem, I broke down and booked a lesson. The pro watched my swing for a few minutes, analyzed the problem and gave me the fix. Hallelujah! Money well spent.

i just have little practice hitting driver. i spent most of my time on my irons. i hope if i spend as much time hitting balls with my driver i will get more familiar and figure some things out. i also have the app that lets you record yourself and compare it to a library of pros hitting. video always helps me. only time i could afford lessons as in ecuador.

walked 9 @ king city, a short 9 hole with my golf show free round. it took me 4 holes stomping through the muck to realize my knee barely hurt, compared to pre-surgery. so grateful and i know will get better. shot +9 over 9. would have been better if not for the triple on 2. sucked with wood and hybrid. played well with the irons and putter.

i can't get the lag feeling with the driver. i still try to muscle it.

i 2 putted 9 holes so i felt good about that for the first time out.

Checking in.... Turned out to be a great year to have a torn acl. No skiing but 16+ rounds of golf in 2017 so far. Great conditions on the front range minus the wind. Can't wait to start posting scores on the 15th as I won't be rusty for a change. Hoping to get to a 10 this year from my 12.5, 18-month long plateau 🙄

Wyeaster - I used to have a wicked slice with my driver. Fixed it by significantly shortening my back swing. Watch Rahm's swing. FWIW...

First rusty round of the year. 54-46. Few sweet 8-10' putts, couple pured irons, many pulled drives. Made me miss the golf and mates at the Valley Links at Portrush last November.

Quote Originally Posted by wyeaster View Post

totally alone at the range
    Crikey Wayeaster...that range looks like the trenches of Gollipoli. One way trip for the range balls?

yeah, i wondered myself. i did my best to hit the greens.

what is the cheapest way to get a handicap? i think playing against other people would be good for me personally and for my golf. i use a lot of energy overthinking and i think if there was a modest competitive aspect it might naturally put my brain in a different space.

unfortunately, i don't play a lot on the course, play early or late and often alone so it will take forever to get enough rounds witnessed.