Thread: RIP Bob Smith

RIP Bob Smith

Didn't see this but I'll delete if it is a repeat.

http://www.powdermag.com/stories/bob-smith-dies/

If you think your goggles fog too much now, you should have been a skier before 1965. That’s when an orthodontist named Dr. Bob Smith created the first double-pane goggle with a sealed thermal lens and breathable vent foam, which dramatically reduced foggy goggles on the slopes.

The innovative founder of Smith Optics, Smith died on Wednesday, April 18, in Palm Desert, California. His wife, Jean, of 48 years was at his bedside. The 78 year old had a pacemaker implanted a few days earlier to combat a slow heartbeat. Complications ensued and he did not survive, according to his son, Drew Smith.

In an exclusive interview that appeared in the December 1981 issue of POWDER, Dr. Bob, as friends referred to him, explained how he conceived the idea of a double-lens goggle while working in dentistry for the U.S. Army in Germany and making weekend ski trips to Kitzbuhel, Austria. “In skiing powder, snow would get inside the goggle through the vent holes, and the humidity would go way up, and, with a single lens, the temperature would be transmitted right through the lens and, of course, the thing got foggy right now. So the double lens stops that cold air transmission through the lens so that the inner lens gets a chance to warm up.”

Once he got a patent for open-cell foam used for venting, he employed the help of dental students back home in Northern California to glue the pieces together. He produced the goggles by hand with his wife and friends around the kitchen table, using dental tools to build a double-lens goggle with breathable foam that he’d trade for free lift tickets at Alta and Jackson Hole. Soon thereafter, he sold them to ski shops for $20. In 1967, Smith appeared in Dick Barrymore’s The Last of The Ski Bums, showcasing his new goggle technology while skiing powder at Jackson Hole.

“Absolutely, his invention had an impact on our sport,” said president of Smith Optics Ned Post, who worked with Dr. Bob years later at Scott Sports. “Our mission at Smith today is to make the great days better through quality eyewear. In that sense, Bob was the beginning of that philosophy. He was passionate to improve his vision on the hill, and he had a great passion for skiing powder.”

“He needed to see on the hill, so he made it happen,” said Drew Smith, who noted that upcoming memorials in Ketchum are currently being planned. “His drive and passion for skiing is second to none. He had a lot of ‘Smith’ kind of days.”

send this to dbs

condolences to Drew and the rest of the family from everyone in Ketchum
    hang in there,

Joe Marx

That's some sweet 1967 pow ripping in the video. RIP

Kied is offline Inconsiderate Tree Killer
    Genuine bummer. RIP.

My condolences to the entire Smith family, not just immediate family, but everyone that works for Smith Optics.

Celebrate Bob's life in his passing as a great innovator and person. Still, hands down, my favorite goggles, sunglasses and eyeglasses. No other company even compares in my mind.

Condolences, Bob was the man,it's great to pay homage to the proto dentist/skier.
    Calmer than you dude

that is an awesome video!

thanks Dr. Bob
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

sad news for this smith fanboi
    love the vid!
    fur bearing, drunk, prancing eurosnob

Bummer, but it seems like Dr Bob had a great life.

Between goggles, sunglasses and helmets, I like to think I get a little dose of Dr Bob's medicine every day!

First thing I ever won in a comp was a Smith hat, and you know I'm never letting that thing go!
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovetoskiatalta View Post
    Dude its losers like you that give ski bums a bad rap.

The man could ski, no denying it. RIP
    "We need sometimes to escape into open solitudes, into aimlessness, into the moral holiday of running some pure hazard, in order to sharpen the edge of life, to taste hardship, and to be compelled to work desperately for a moment at no matter what. -George Santayana, The Philosophy of Travel

...it would probably bother me more if I wasn't quite so heavily sedated. -David St. Hubbins, This Is Spinal Tap

rip and thank!!!

Thank god for the dentists!

Hayduke Aug 7,1996 GS-Aug 26 2010
    HunterS March 17 09-Oct 24 14

Dr. Bob Smith DDS rest in peace. That video is a stone groove..

Wow, think about it, ski gear innovator, pow junkie, dentist. Dr. Bob is the MSA (Maggot Spirit Animal).
    "We need sometimes to escape into open solitudes, into aimlessness, into the moral holiday of running some pure hazard, in order to sharpen the edge of life, to taste hardship, and to be compelled to work desperately for a moment at no matter what. -George Santayana, The Philosophy of Travel

...it would probably bother me more if I wasn't quite so heavily sedated. -David St. Hubbins, This Is Spinal Tap

Looks like a life well lived , RIP
    License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations

Bravo

Well done Doctor...

Inspiring. Taking six months off each year to ski powder.

Towards the end of the video, he's charging untracked snow on the Hobacks at Jackson at the end of the day... he and others like him must have had some epic times before the hoards learned to ski powder (particularly now with the help of fat skis and rocker... )

Life well lived indeed.

Definetly a life well lived. Definetly had priorities in order. Work for six mos and then ski 6mos! Thanks for making sports look clearer. RIP. A true innovator.
    Feeling anxious, a little paranoid.

Sad news. Vibes to his family and friends.

RIP Dr. Smith

Thank you for everything! Best helmets, goggles, and sunglasses, period!
    Magic Mountain Freeride Team...bringing your grom's game to the next level.

The only ski you'll ever need...http://worthskis.com/skis/the-magic/

"Errare Humanum Est"

"Goggle testing snow"
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

Why is the end of a long, fulfilled life sad news? Please don't cry for me if I live a life anything close to what this guy was able to accomplish. Dr. Bob was a maggot before there ever were maggots. Go jump off some shit with Shane, Bob. I hope you're still around when I get there.

RIP Bob
    Sent from my HTC EVO 3D X515m using TGR Forums