when fishing in a small stream...

Does it matter if you use a fly rod?

Or can you just use a normal rod and just let the pool take your meal worm with a small hook on it? I dont know how to fly fish, and I'd rather just use my regular rod.

thanks buds

As long as you wear a tweed hat you should be OK.
    If the shocker don't rock her, then Dr. Spock her. Dad.

Quote Originally Posted by bushman View Post
    As long as you wear a tweed hat you should be OK.
    That, right there is the greatest thing I have ever seen posted down here.

no if you don't use a fly rod you are a faggot

Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    no if you don't use a $700 fly rod, don't guide in the summer and have no photos of yourself in The Drake, you are a faggot
    Fixed it for you. Standards have changed since all those guide schools started turning out all these new experts.
    Last edited by neckdeep; 04-23-2012 at 08:18 AM.

What the hell is with every other outfitter in the land offering a "guide school"? Do people really think you can be a fly guide from a four day class on how to row and fish?

Quote Originally Posted by schwerty View Post
    What the hell is with every other outfitter in the land offering a "guide school"? Do people really think you can be a fly guide from a four day class on how to row and fish?
    I've been thinking the same thing...I thought "guide school" was fishing your ass off when you were a kid, in college, getting kicked out of college, between benders, etc. Then realizing you were unemployed/unemployable in the conventional world, you started rowing and showing people where to cast. Now if the four days is how to deal with the jack ass who pierces your ear with his big streamer(if you didn't pinch the barb down, welcome to lesson#1), handling the "expert" who couldn't land a fly on a aircraft carrier, dealing with the wife/girlfriend who wanted to go to Florida for the week, etc. then 4 days of "customer service" training might be a good start.

My guess is it's a money making venture, kids convince their parents for a last $600 after MSU tells them they've been kicked out for missing too many classes(during particular hatches)and it's better than going home to whatever midwest town they came from with out any sort of diploma. Wow did I just describe myself, pretty close but I'm older that the idea of "Guide School".
    Five minutes into the drive and you're already driving me crazy...

Holy we highjacked this guys thread. To the OP, fish with whatever the hell you'd like as long as you're not fishing some special regs stream.
    Five minutes into the drive and you're already driving me crazy...

It's definitely a cash flow for the outfitters deal. We certainly did hijack this one!

Just use a fly stick.

OP- I rig my daughter's line with a bobber, and about 3 ft of leader with a fly on the end.
    If it works down here, it should work just fine there.
    You might need to go a little lighter on the leader than you normally would- like 5x frog hair or something.
    Otherwise, just experiment with it. Might need a lot more leader, or you may be able to ditch the bobber altogether, if the water is moving really fast.

Quote Originally Posted by mnflyfish View Post
    Holy we highjacked this guys thread. To the OP, fish with whatever the hell you'd like as long as you're not fishing some special regs stream.
    thanks man

Back on track.

Somebody already beat to that idea, http://www.tenkarausa.com/ . So yeah, I guess your idea would work, and you wouldn't have to throw a bunch 'o money away on what is otherwise a very simple idea.

I would think though it's not that simple. My guess would be that you'd have to start (at the rod tip) with some kind of heavier line, as you need some weight to throw, then taper down to some light tippet for a decent presentation.

Small streams are the most fun places of all to use a fly rod. You can fish it with anything, but will likely have more fun on the fly.

What is your 'regular rod'? If it's a light weight spinning rod, put some 4lb test on it and drift your bait with a 12 to 14 hook. If it's a heavier bass type rod, small stream fishing isn't going to be that fun with it.

Pre-fly fishing addiction, I had some amazing days on small streams catching brookies for backpacking food with an ultra light spinning rod and a small panther martin.

Whatever you do, de-barb your hooks. Typically in small streams your going to catch some fingerlings that you want to throw back even if your keeping fish. Don't kill them!

Just be sure to de-barb the hook as others have said. Sometimes trout will swallow the hook and if there's a barb, it can be hard to extract the hook which will kill the fish if they swallow it too deep. Be sure to wet your hands before you handle the fish and be gentle with them. If they are squirming a lot, put it upside down. Sometimes they will relax a bit that way. Don't squeeze the fish.

If it's not trout, then it won't hurt to follow the same protocol, but warm water species are a lot more resilient than cold water (trout, salmon, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    Small streams are the most fun places of all to use a fly rod. You can fish it with anything, but will likely have more fun on the fly.
    So a phoebe is shitty?

Quote Originally Posted by frecnhy. View Post
    So a phoebe is shitty?
    Use whatever makes you happy.

You should(pick up using a flyrod..etc)...it's a heck of a lot more fun of an activity, rather than throwing the weight/lure out there and dragging it back......