Blender recommendations?

My multi-speed Oster died only a year into service. Hint: If you start making hummus and the wife bitches to stop because she's trying to sleep; don't stop and try to resume the process the next day. Chic pea cement.

Anywho, what to get? Vitamix has already been shot down because her friend has one and "it's ginormous, we'd never use it".

Oster Beehive? Kitchenaid? Waring?

Smoothies, hummus, fallafel and pesto are our main uses.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tunco perfectly summarizing TGR View Post
    It is like Days of Our Lives', but with retards.

Quote Originally Posted by dumpy View Post
    If those are your primary uses, you should get a stick (immersion) blender. Way easier to use and clean than a full-sized, and you can stick it into soups and sauces right in the pan as well. The $50 Cuisinart that I bought 6 years ago is still working great, and I think Breville also has a good one. Even if you get a regular blender too, I'd get a stick - if you're like me, you'll only end up pulling out the regular blender once a year or so for fruity cocktails.
    Outlive the bastards - Ed Abbey

Pegleg: Does it work well for frozen fruit? We have been making mad smoothies and our blender has been telling us it is about to die.

Quote Originally Posted by LaBelle23 View Post
    Pegleg: Does it work well for frozen fruit? We have been making mad smoothies and our blender has been telling us it is about to die.
    Hmm, no, probably not for big chunks (I sometimes use frozen wild blueberries, but those are tiny). You'd need something with more power for that, so if you're a big smoothie person I guess you'd need a real blender. But for all the other stuff, sticks are magic.
    Outlive the bastards - Ed Abbey

The only blender we own is a Bamix stick blender. It handles frozen fruit fine as long as there's enough liquid to circulate it.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Vita Mix.

It's expensive, but it will last a long time (mine is going on year 5 with no issues). Amazing for smoothies, hummus, homemade dressings and sauces, soup, freshly made juices (frozen or fresh)... you name it, this blender does it.

GF bought a Blendtec from Costco for our household a couple years ago. Not cheap. Very powerful machine with blending strategies that really work. Often compared to Vitamix -- fuck, there's even a website devoted to it

Quote Originally Posted by LaBelle23 View Post
    I got this little fucker for smoothies. Now and then i'll catch of whiff of the motor getting a little hot, but overall it's been great. Nice just unhooking the cup, slapping the travel lid on it, and heading out the door.
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

+1 for Vitamix (or Blendtec). Pretty much every smoothie/juice joint I've ever been to uses them. My only gripe is that it's loud.

Quote Originally Posted by pisteoff View Post
    +1 for Vitamix (or Blendtec). Pretty much every smoothie/juice joint I've ever been to uses them. My only gripe is that it's loud.
    My dad has a Blendtec and his next door neighbor has a Vitamix. He says the Vitamix blows the Blendtec out of the water. They've both had them for about 5 years now and the Vitamix works just as well as it did the first day, the Blendtec works like my shitty $30 blender now (doesn't liquify seeds and such). Plus he says the plunger thing on the Vitamix, although it may seem like a small detail, is super useful.
    All I know is that I don't know nothin'... and that's fine.

Oster Beehive?
    I've had one for at least a decade and it works flawlessly. Looks good, easy to clean, simple to use and cheap. I primarily use it for smoothies these days. My wife also uses it to puree soup.

Quote Originally Posted by Dickeymotto View Post
    My dad has a Blendtec and his next door neighbor has a Vitamix. He says the Vitamix blows the Blendtec out of the water. They've both had them for about 5 years now and the Vitamix works just as well as it did the first day, the Blendtec works like my shitty $30 blender now (doesn't liquify seeds and such). Plus he says the plunger thing on the Vitamix, although it may seem like a small detail, is super useful.
    We debated that purchase for quite a while, and I don't recall exactly what tipped the scale, but reading that, I'm glad we went for the Vitamix.

I have a Blendtec and love it. I only have a thousands cycles on it though so I don't know about long term reliability. It is loud as hell though. The preprogrammed smoothie cycle does a perfect job and it is super easy to clean which is a big deal to me. I haven't tried the Vitamix
    License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations

I've had a KitchenAid for 3+ years and it works as well as the day it was new. My only gripe is that you can't fasten the blending pitcher to the base so it vibrates and makes a pretty brutal noise unless you hold it down during operation.

Would I rather have a Vitamix. Absolutely. But the KitchenAid is a pretty good value if you don't need turbocharged blending.
    If you've never seen an elephant ski, you've never been on acid.

- Eddie Izzard

Ya I sell commercial VitaMix. It's big, loud and expensive. It's also very fast so it's not loud long and should last a very long time. Take a look at the blade in a VitaMix, compare the amperage of the motor to whatever you are looking at. Don't listen to her gf, do the right thing.

My Mom buys all this as seen on tv infomercial crap. Last time she was at my house she left 3 or 4 things I must own. I promptly ding dong ditched them at friends houses. Except this damn food Ninja thing. Little bastard, cheap but holy shit the blades are sharp, chops the hell out of whatever tossed into it.

obviously make an offer on the gf's since she never uses it
    picador

blendtec/ vitamix are pretty much the same thing unless you are splitting hairs. if you buy the blendtec in-store at costco I think you walk with a 7 year no questions asked warranty. I've had a blendtec for 3 years now. Still gives as much absurd blending power as the day i bought it. Yes they are loud, but who cares? if you are running it for more then 180 seconds at a time you are doing it wrong.

We bought a Blendtec from Bed Bath and Beyond with one of their 20% off coupons. My wife blew up an $80 blender after 4 months of constant use. We're about about 200 cycles on the Blendtec and it's had no issues at all. My wife went with a Blendtec over the Vitamix because you can get different colors. YMMV
    All I want is to be hardcore.

www.tonystreks.com

i use a blender strictly for smoothies (w/ frozen fruit). wife recently bought us this cuisinart:
    http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden...3-001b2166c2c0
    seems to work pretty well so far.