Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Super-D/Enduro pedal choices

Looking for a little advice on pedal choices for racing Super-D/Enduro. I'm a Time man with some carbon shitmano kicks now. Not really wanting to go full flat so looking at combos. Are any of them worth looking into?
    あなたのおっぱいは富士山のように美しいです。富士

Kendo Yamamoto "1984"

Why not just run Times? I don't have any SuperD or Enduro races near me but if I did I'd keep using my same old Time ATACs. But if you're really lusting after new pedals and like Times, how about the Time X Roc or X Roc S? The "S" version's axle is supposedly burlier.

I've run platform-ish clipless ATAC Zs and CB Mallets and didn't find they gave me anything over the plain old ATACs, and in fact clipped rocks more often because of their larger body.

Ride whatever you're comfortable on. There really isnt a pedal/shoe combo out there that works great for both clipped and unclipped.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

5 ten and 661 have a few decent shoes that you can mount time clipless thingamagiggers on the bottom of... I like my time z pedals..

I think candy has some as does shimano that aren't quite platforms, but is enough to stand on if you are having trouble getting back in.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

I'm diggin my new Crank Bros Mallets. Have a looky

What makes an 'enduro/super D pedal' different from any other xc pedal?

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    Well Woo,
    It seems that many a super-D/enduro folk choose to use either a flat pedal or a combo pedal to allow a bit more freedom when getting into the D part of the Super-D.
    あなたのおっぱいは富士山のように美しいです。富士

Kendo Yamamoto "1984"

It goes 2" bigger... and is a little slacker
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by DaHeel View Post
    Well Woo,
    It seems that many a super-D/enduro folk choose to use either a flat pedal or a combo pedal to allow a bit more freedom when getting into the D part of the Super-D.
    With carbon shoes, are your current pedals still lacking enough support to stand in them and go downhill DaHeel?

Or are you looking for something to stand on if you don't clip in? They all still suck at that. Platform or not, it's still sketchy.

No, yes and that was the answer I was looking for. My current set up goes down hill quite well. The question was are any of the combos going to provide additional benifits while allowing me to be unclipped.
    あなたのおっぱいは富士山のように美しいです。富士

Kendo Yamamoto "1984"

Borrow some flats and sticky shoes. Time your runs on each setup. I'll agree with here, there's no good compromise between flats and clipless.

Platform clipless pedals are pointless for riding unclipped. They do provide a bigger margin of error if you are trying to get back into the pedals while riding fast or through rough terrain. For me, the cage helps guide my foot, and it provides a bigger area to plant my foot until I get another chance to clip back in.

I'm really interested in the Shimano trail pedals. You've got enough cage to do the above without the unnecessary bulk/weight of typical platform clipless pedals.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

I run time z atacs on my dh bike but it's more for the support of the shoe and my foot arch when pounding the crap out of it..clipped in. Even platformish clipless pedals still have the retention mechanism above the platform so it's nowhere near a flat pedal because you're standing on that mess.......hence the sketchy part. With stiff shoes you're not getting any more support than just standing on your arch unclipped on a tiny xc pedal.

That's why I asked. Pedals are somewhere that you can save weight without really losing any performance at all........especially with times....they all feel the same. SuperD/enduro whatever, a light bike that has the least amount of rotating mass possible is still a performance advantage.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    I don't race, but I always ride as if I am. I love my current combo of 661 filter shoes with crank bros candy pedals. Just enough platform and sole stiffness to be able to pedal without having to be clipped in after dropping a leg on a sketchy downhill turn.

if you are racing you want pedaling performance. why would you want to trade carbon shimano's for skate shoes?
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

Quote Originally Posted by marshalolson View Post
    if you are racing you want pedaling performance. why would you want to trade carbon shimano's for skate shoes?
    You can't pedal in Chainless DH...
    dayglo aerobic enthusiast

awesome point. thanks.

i didn't realize that all super-d and enduro races were run chainless-dh
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

They're designed to be used on carbon "all mountain" bikes by riders using POC Trabec helmets and dropper posts. Just ask anyone on Empty Beer's "All Mountain" forum. Or ask the steeze-yups at NSMB.com.

On the serious side, why couldn't or wouldn't someone use clipless pedals with a chainless setup? It's still about bike weight, connection to the bike even when it's not about pedaling, right?

4 out of 4 riders surveyed use flat pedals for chainless races.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	151923714-M.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	179.5 KB 
ID:	114559  
    dayglo aerobic enthusiast

Crud we could have guessed that you didn't approve of carbon trail bikes and Trebec helmets but you're also against dropper posts now? It's so hard to keep up.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Quote Originally Posted by beaterdit View Post
    Crud we could have guessed that you didn't approve of carbon trail bikes and Trebec helmets but you're also against dropper posts now? It's so hard to keep up.
    Don't tell me... you're trying at snark here... defending "progression"... thinking I'm riding a pennyfarthing with jodhpurs and buster brown shoes.

Sorry dude. I'm not a Tweed Rider, not a lover of the 19th C. Try again. This time, don't try to "figure out" or "guess" what it is you imagine I'm "against."

Oh I thought that was you on the left. My bad.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

Quote Originally Posted by Daywalker View Post
    4 out of 4 riders surveyed use flat pedals for chainless races.

Yeah we steez-yups know how to roll. Dirt jumpers chainless on flats yo.

Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    Yeah we steez-yups know how to roll. Dirt jumpers chainless on flats yo.
    Q: Which one is Buster Bluth?
    A: The one at home at his computer, closely studying the above picture to see what "real" Sea-to-Sky riders look like and buy. The plans for the new Park Rig will change infinitely until ultimately Buster settles on a trend-setting bike with 24" rear, 650B front wheels with a Ti softtail rear half and carbon front half, 62deg HA, 76deg STA and 11.5" BB height. In his mind.

To the extent that you need to stand on clipless pedals without being clicked in, I think that shoe selection is probably more important than the pedal platform. I'd much rather have some rubber-soled shoes like Shimano AM45s than ones with hard plastic soles. That said, uber-small pedals like CB Eggbeaters look a little too minimal to me (and even more prone to break than other CB pedals).

As for chainless racing on flats, I think a number of courses may have small flat/uphill sections where it may be necessary to get off the bike and run. At least that is the case at the CCCX series near Monterey.