Carlsbad surfing

I am going to be in Carlsbad next weekend and wondered wether it was a decent enough break to surf right there. I've done Trestles and all of the San Diego spots but I am there for a wedding and am staying in a hotel across the beach. I won't have a truck to haul a board around so I was hoping to rent a board and walk to the beach. Any beta?
    License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations

Kied is offline Inconsiderate Tree Killer
    I've only surfed north and south of there, never actually Tamarack but here's some skinny. Doesn't seem all bad.

http://www.wannasurf.com/spot/North_...y/tamarack_st/

http://www.surfline.com/surf-report/...lifornia_4242/

You could demo a board from Hansen's in Encinitas and walk to Swami's.
    check with the Patagonia shop , I've demo'ed their boards too!

Thanks guys, Ive done Tamarack. The guy getting married is not going on honeymoon immediately so he is going to loan me a board and take me up to Trestles

Kied is offline Inconsiderate Tree Killer
    Quote Originally Posted by Ski to Be View Post
    Thanks guys, Ive done Tamarack. The guy getting married is not going on honeymoon immediately so he is going to loan me a board and take me up to Trestles

Boom! There ya go. Game on.

Real quick...

Ski to be - Surfline is forecasting poor surf for San Diego county 1-3ft this weekend but fair-good surf for Orange County 2-4ft (i.e- Trestles) and it has been super fun this past week down @ Trestles. Inconsistent, but fun, so maybe rent a longer board to maximize your wave riding time, good luck and have fun.
    "In a perfect world I'd have all 10 fingers on my left hand, so I could just use my right hand for punching."

Thanks for the tip. I figured it would be longboard waves

Tamarack was good on Sunday and Monday. The parking ticket machine wouldn't read my magnetic strip on my debit card so my Sunday session cost me a $71 ticket but it was worth it as I got at least 10 good waves

Good stuff. Waves look like shit here todat

sent from the future using my mind powers
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Fun windswell today

Same up here. About to head back out and look for some more. Got to make the most out of this stuff before spring winds really kick up. Looks like we have a little S in the water over the next few days.

Newport has been fun the last couple of days. A bit overhead, but with a TON of current today. Friday evening was fun, as was yesterday morning, with things being a bit bigger than expected. Today was good, but the current was so strong that it made things tough. Today was one of those days when you feel like you are paddling the entire time, trying to stay in the right place.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Anyone wanna go out tomorrow evening (or anytime, really), and help out a surf JONG? Just moved to Carlsbad a month ago.

Been out about 5 days now and am getting the hang of it, but still having trouble finding the best waves for my ability, to be able to actually get up and ride a bit.

I've been surfing just south of the jetty at Tamarack since it's a lot less crowded, but think I need a better, more consistent spot?

You might want to go somewhere with a soft reef to help the learning curve. Somewhere like North end of Carlsbad campgrounds, Grandview or Pipes down in Encinitas. The waves are a lot softer and should hold up long enough for you to get the feeling of surfing, instead of the closeouts at the beaches.

At about 5 days, the most important thing will be to get your arms in paddle shape, get your balance with paddling/standing up, learn the dynamics of the lineup and trying to stay out of way of others. looking cool is a must and having fun is optional, or is it the other way around?

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Piggity View Post
    looking cool is a must and having fun is optional, or is it the other way around?
    It's better to look good than to feel good!
    Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each.
    Henry David Thoreau

You might want to go somewhere with a soft reef to help the learning curve. Somewhere like North end of Carlsbad campgrounds, Grandview or Pipes down in Encinitas. The waves are a lot softer and should hold up long enough for you to get the feeling of surfing, instead of the closeouts at the beaches.
    Great suggestions for tame surf, I would also recommend Old man’s in San Clemente. Super gentle wave, inside waves/whitewater to learn on and not get in anyone’s way (except other jongs - so who cares) and most of the people in the water @ Old Man’s are jongs as well so the vibe is pretty chill.

looking cool is a must and having fun is optional
    Too funny, it is the other way around for me for sure! I don’t think I have ever looked cool on a wave... HA-ha
    "In a perfect world I'd have all 10 fingers on my left hand, so I could just use my right hand for punching."

Cheers guys - I'll check those spots a bit further south