Sierra: Rae Lakes Loop next week

Friend wants to do this loop next week - he thinks its gonna be 10% coverage, I was thinking there would be a ton of snow still.

Anyone have any info?
    Thanks!

I got this off of the High Sierra Topix forum, I hope it helps...

http://www.highsierratopix.com/commu...php?f=1&t=7649

"I think it is a bit early to do a major 10-12 day (150 miles) trip without encountering
    some major or a least some snow.
    Rae Lakes will not be thawed, Glen Pass will not be easy, plus for 10-12 days it is
    to short unless one included 60 Lake Basin and Gardiner Basin, or adding the East
    Lake, Reflection Lake, and Sphinx Lakes via Longely Pass route, and most of
    these places will still be blanketed with snow, lakes will be frozen, and a cornice will
    still be present on Longley.
    One place would be northwestern Yosemite where there are several lakes you
    can visit out of the Hetchy or Kibbie Lake area. There are several TR's posted from
    previous trips here on HST, just use the search feature, and see if this area appeals
    to you, but you will have to deal with some snow, creeks, and flooded areas.
    Southern Yosemite has some areas too, but conditions will be similar to the
    northwestern parts.
    Your best bet would be to wait till next month for things to open up a bit
    more giving you more opportunities, but with that will come with more skeeterz and
    more dangerous river/stream crossings.
    Sure one could go up the Kern or go up to Cottonwood Lakes and beyond into Miter
    Basin, but your looking for 10-12 days (150 miles) worth of travel, unless you can
    stay in one certain area for 2-3 days before moving on to another, than these trips
    will be too short, and adding on another basin or two to these trips will definitely
    involve some snow travel for sure as they gain in elevation.
    For example Kathy W posted some shots from the Taboose area, but one cannot
    surmise what the conditions are like down towards the JMT, Bench Lake or Upper
    Basin. Pinchot Pass and Mather Pass will require a lot of experience with an ice axe
    and crampons. Lakes Basin, and Amphitheater Basin will still be blanketed in snow
    and lakes frozen, so you would be confined to a rather small area which may be fun
    for 4-5 days but that's it."

Oh yeah by the way, search JONG, and this is the wrong forum for this post. Summits=meet ups - not hiking/climbing
    "In a perfect world I'd have all 10 fingers on my left hand, so I could just use my right hand for punching."

Quote Originally Posted by PowerWhore7 View Post
    Oh yeah by the way, search JONG, and this is the wrong forum for this post. Summits=meet ups - not hiking/climbing
    i'm such a dick i hate myself. thanks for the info!

I was at the top of Kearsarge Pass yesterday (11823ft), and only crossed 3 snow patches the longest was only 15 ft long. Bull frog lake is ice free as is the lowest kearsarge lake, above that they are starting to break up. hope that helps.

David

A few seasons ago we encounter no snow until the north side of Glen, and it was completely cover (but had a nice path stomped into it.) Since there is still snow on Kearsarge I would expect Glen to be well covered, not that it can't be crossed, just be prepared.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot