Thread: whistler

whistler

so i'm heading out to whister in a few weeks... am i going to be miserable or are there decent turns to be made? i'm dropping a lot of cash for this trip... too bad i booked it in october.

It's not too hot up there right now, but a lot can change in a few weeks. I had a decent time this weekend, but it's the least amount of snow I've seen up there in January in over 20 years.....
    Martha's just polishing the brass on the Titanic....

damn, that doesn't sound good. any suggestions on where the best snow is? we usually make laps on peak/harmony... how's the snow there?

I was there three weeks ago during the big chill and there was coverage on the entire mountain not a lot but enough to make it to the bottom and not hit any rocks or debris. However the rains and warm-up came and I am hearing from Mid-station to the Top are open.

Will say this--Whistler has gotten ridiculously expensive. They need to understand the US dollar is no longer what it was. In my week & half up there I think I ran into maybe 10 americans total. I love Whistler but I won't be back for skiing until they price check themselves. Mtn biking though is another story!

i just moved to whistler from the EC. im a bit disapointed in the rain too, but at least there is still skiing in the alpine. a couple big storms will fix everything. i would say the ticket price is pretty reasonable. us$50 for a lift ticket is not bad. the prices in the village are expensive, but still cheaper than aspen, vail or europe. sounds like YOU need to understand the US dollar has dropped and accept that skiing at a world class resort is expensive. we have been lucky in the past with the dollar being so high and are now eating it worldwide.

Quote Originally Posted by rippin
    I was there three weeks ago during the big chill and there was coverage on the entire mountain not a lot but enough to make it to the bottom and not hit any rocks or debris. However the rains and warm-up came and I am hearing from Mid-station to the Top are open.

Will say this--Whistler has gotten ridiculously expensive. They need to understand the US dollar is no longer what it was. In my week & half up there I think I ran into maybe 10 americans total. I love Whistler but I won't be back for skiing until they price check themselves. Mtn biking though is another story!
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature... Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. -Helen Keller

With an attitude like that, it's only a matter of time before powder11 lapses in the full-on Canuck 'eh' speak.
    We're never getting that guy back.
    [quote][//quote]

illegal alien..

oh yeah, sorry... canadians are lucky us americans come up here spend our $ and protect them from the rest of the world. without 'merica canada would be a bunch of tree cuttin beavers... thanx Dex, I almost drank the kool-aid...
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Rutecki
    With an attitude like that, it's only a matter of time before powder11 lapses in the full-on Canuck 'eh' speak.
    We're never getting that guy back.
    Last edited by powder11; 02-01-2005 at 10:51 PM.
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature... Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. -Helen Keller

Quote Originally Posted by powder11
    thanx Dex, I almost drank the kool-aid...
    You will, you'll be a big Don Cherry fan before it's all over.
    And it's spelled 'murica.

Where's that TR you promised? Did you do the comp at Red, or Fernie, or wherever you were?
    [quote][//quote]

bc speak

don cherry rocks even if he's been limited to quiznos commercials. my TR would be pretty sad. drove through freezing ass temps and showed up a day late and dollar short to red. missed the comp (my g/f's sister inlaw scored 2nd place) but still enjoyed some sick tree skiing before the monsoon hit. the rest has been soggy to say the least and i may become clinical from lack of sunlite. in fact, i'll be pretty choked if it doesn't snow soon, us skiers will be hooped and all i will have to look forward to is some skookum mtn biking. hows that for bc speak.

Down the valley a bit further on the good side of the 49th
    oh yeah, sorry... canadians are lucky us americans come up here spend our $ and protect them from the rest of the world. without 'merica canada would be a bunch of tree cuttin beavers... thanx Dex, I almost drank the kool-aid...
    eh?

It's not so much the model year, it's the high mileage or meterage to keep the youth of Canada happy

Coverage below Harmony is bad. The last rain stopped more or less at the base of the Peak Chair. As such, it snowed a fair amount above that point. Alpine is OK. West Bowl and Christmas trees are still outside the area boundary. Think November conditions.

Fear not. A single storm can turn it around. ~75-100 cm of snow and we'd be golden.

skookum mtn biking. hows that for bc speak.
    Definitely pinpoints your location to within an hour of Squamish.

Lucky for Canada I am a dual country citizen. Nelson, BC is my second home. My gripe is that Whistler was reasonably priced but that they have priced themselves out. I could go to Kicking Horse, W2O, Red, Big White, Kimberly, Fernie, Panarama, etc and spend 1/2 of what I spent at Whistler.

I completely understand now why when I talk to my Canadian counterparts who are from Whistler, Pemberton, or Squamish why they have chose to relocate to the interior.

Remember without 'merica Canadians would be forced back into their igloos. I do love some of my fellow countrymen who think Canadians all live in Igloos. We are an enlightened bunch and they are probably right.....if we hadn't invaded Canada there is no telling how bad off Canada might be.

How boot that?

after skiing red and hanging out in rossland for a week, i would have to agree the interior is much cheaper than whistler. im in whistler because my g/f got a "for real job" and had been living in boston way too long. that being said there was no sticker shock on prices moving here. its funny to listen to my g/f's brother in rossland who is hoping red will become a destination resort because he owns a couple houses there. in a couple years he will be bitching that its become too expensive as well. people seem to want progress, but don't want to pay for it. btw, the weather is steadily improving here in whistler and they are calling for snow flurries this weekend. hopefully a big dump is not far behind!

i just moved to whistler from the EC. im a bit disapointed in the rain too, but at least there is still skiing in the alpine. a couple big storms will fix everything. i would say the ticket price is pretty reasonable. us$50 for a lift ticket is not bad. the prices in the village are expensive, but still cheaper than aspen, vail or europe. sounds like YOU need to understand the US dollar has dropped and accept that skiing at a world class resort is expensive. we have been lucky in the past with the dollar being so high and are now eating it worldwide.
    fortunately intrawest gives half price whistler tix to other intrawest passholders (winter park included)... so i'm skiing for $25. is the upper mountain worth $25/day right now? hope so, cause i'm going anyway...