Road Trip - Mountain Biking Suggestions in Idaho and Oregon

In a weeks time or so I will be making my way from Frisco, CO to Portland, OR to attend United Bicycle Institute. I'm going to take the southern route from CO, UT, ID, and OR and mountain/road bike along the way. I have my trip planned from Colorado thru Utah, but needed some suggestions on where to bike/camp in Idaho and Oregon. Any advice would be much appreciated. On the way back I will be taking the northern route back to Colorado, so any ideas where to ride in the northern section (WA, Northern ID, WY, or MT), let me know.

Lets meet up and ride, Thanks guys

Adam

In Idaho, the mountains still have a fair bit of snow, so some of the best mountain biking will be inaccessible. That leaves some of the lower-elevation desert rides (which I don't know very well), and some areas like the Boise foothills, where riding conditions will vary from day to day. As long as it stays relatively dry, the trails will be open, and if you wanted to combine some riding with some half-decent nightlife, Boise's the place (of course, there's also pretty good road riding, including the 16-mile, ~4,000 foot climb to Bogus Basin). We've got some excellent XC trails easily accessible from downtown Boise, more info here, including trail closures: http://ridgetorivers.cityofboise.org/

If I were you I'd also do some research on City of Rocks National Reserve and Craters of the Moon National Monument.

Jamespio,

Thanks for the info. I looked into the Boise foothills trails and that will be a definite for me on my way to Portland. It looks like Idaho City has some sick mountain biking as well. The elevation is more on the order of 6000 feet. No dry their yet? I will also look into the City of rocks National Reserve and Craters of the Moon as well. Thanks-Adam

Not sure about conditions in Idaho City, haven't been up there lately. As a general matter, because of elevation I'd expect the trails up there to be possibly snow-coivered and definitely wet. In our climate we strongly discourage riding wet trails, the erosion effects happen fast, and are difficult to stop.

Lots of snow/rain in these parts still. Syncline is your best option in the Portland area (well, it's just across the water from Hood River) right now, though with the spring weather moving in maybe other stuff will melt/dry. Ping me when you're in town and we'll get a beer.
    Be careful about buying snowboard goggles for skiing. Snowboard goggles come in right eye and left eye (for goofy-footers) dominant models. This can make it hard to see correctly when skiing because you are facing straight down the hill, not sideways.

I went to UBI in 1995. It was a lot of fun; learned how to build wheels there.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal_Mt_Dreamin View Post
    Lots of snow/rain in these parts still. Syncline is your best option in the Portland area (well, it's just across the water from Hood River) right now, though with the spring weather moving in maybe other stuff will melt/dry. Ping me when you're in town and we'll get a beer.
    Don't forget Post Canyon if your bike has any bit of squish. It is not to be missed. Same goes for Black Rock in the Coast Range. Radness forest sledding action. Search for that and the other awesomeness around the Tillamook Forest and Brown's camp if freeriding is your gig.

Plenty of stuff around here (Bozeman) if you're taking I-90. PM when you're on your way. Missoula is supposed to have some goods, but I don't know any details.

post canyon is closed, like trees completely shredded from storms closed, like they are gonna take all summer to log and clean the place up type closed...
    sandy ridge opened up today, and bend (phils) is rapidly melting out, should have some decent riding available in the next few weeks if the nicer weather sticks around

didnt mention what kind of bike you are bringing, OR has a fair amount of diversity, mostly long xc rides, but a few nice shuttle/flow type areas as well if you are into that kind of thing

I'd echo all that has been said above about OR — Sandy, Black Rock, Bend. I can point to for WA but knowing the type of riding or type of bike you are bringing makes a big difference.

Quote Originally Posted by forty View Post
    post canyon is closed, like trees completely shredded from storms closed, like they are gonna take all summer to log and clean the place up type closed...
    Damn. That bad, eh? Now I don't feel so bad about being out there next weekend and not bringing the bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig View Post
    Damn. That bad, eh? Now I don't feel so bad about being out there next weekend and not bringing the bike.
    Pretty much that bad. Most of the freeride stuff has stunt damage, most of the XC stuff has so many logs down its not worth the effort. The county is having loggers come in to remove the downed trees, we're not allowed to cut them, so we're pretty much waiting for those guys to finish up before we can do any more cleanup.

City Creek trails in Pocatello, ID are worth checking out. Smooth buff xc mostly. I don't live there anymore, so I don't know what conditions are like right now.

Dude, Ill try and give you some advice later, but here is a lil info on one of my many trips doing that kind of route
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...-TR?highlight=
    https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...-TR?highlight=

prolly too far south in OR but worth checking Umpqua & Ashland, some of Eugene shops (Hutches?) can probably give beta and the forest service has been helpful in the past on Umpqua conditions.
    Like I told my last wife, I never drive faster than I can see, besides it's all in the reflexes.

Thanks for the advice guys. I tend to ride mainly XC type of trails. I will be bringing my road bike and XC mountain bike with me (Fully Rigid SS 29er), in hopes to train for the upcoming XC race season. Pretty strong and technical rider (at least I think). If the trails are wet in your neck of the woods, any good road rides?

I have weekends off while attending UBI, so if your in the Portland Area we should ride!!!

Thanks again guys - Adam

What about some rides around the Eastern side of Oregon? Echo, Prarrie City, Strawberry Mountain area? Should be more dry over there.

Mt Ashland is ride able right now. If you are a fairly strong technical rider then you will have fun there. Although it is a bit more free ride oriented there are still some trails you would like. Specifically look for BTI, Caterpiller, Toothpick, and Jab (might be a bit intense on a SS rigid though). There is probably too much snow to make it all the way to Four Corners but you could try. Call up Ashland Mountain Adventures for more accurate beta. I was there a few weeks ago.

North Umpqua: Deer Leap and Toketee Falls would be really fun on a SS. Still technical but beautiful trail and area.

Just got back from my first ride at Sandy, holy crap that's alot of fun.

any idea if the North Umpqua trails are clear for riding? or when they usually are? skibee and I are coming down in mid may

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    any idea if the North Umpqua trails are clear for riding? or when they usually are? skibee and I are coming down in mid may
    I heard a group of people from my school headed up to the hot springs by toketee falls and said there was not much snow. Mid may should be pretty clear. Might not be able to ride the top most portion of Dread and Terror but Deer Leap should be snow free.

I went up last year around then and there was a bit of snow but we just rode through it and it was fine. You should stay at the Gazebo campground its free and pretty legit. As far as I can remember the campground at Toketee falls was under construction last time I was there and we could not camp there. They were doing something with a reservoir and had it closed. We also had to jump a few fences with bikes and sneak through a construction site...Oops...

I love North Umpqua and make a yearly trip (or 2). I might actually be out there as well if Oakridge has too much snow May 18-20th.

I have had pretty good luck with contacting

UMPQUA NATIONAL FOREST
    2900 NW Stewart Parkway
    Roseburg, OR 97470
    541.672.6601 (TDD 541.957.3459)
    http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/umpqua

For trail info as well.

Echo is mellow xc desert riding, but if you're passing through, it's close to 84. No shade and gets hot. For your drive back, Beacon in Spokane can be fun. Doubt 257/Beauty Bay will be melted out/clear. Riverside state park in Spokane has a lot of xc if you just want training mileage. Canfield in CDA can be fun and some friends are riding it.

Quote Originally Posted by ChamoisButt'r View Post
    I tend to ride mainly XC type of trails. I will be bringing my road bike and XC mountain bike with me (Fully Rigid SS 29er)
    G A Y ! go to NC for mtn bike school, not oregon, what the fuck?

yes, im drunk

I've been looking at the North Umpqua trail. From what little I've learned, it seems like it ought to be possible for the wife and I to do segments of the N.U. Trail with the kiddos, with one person driving and meeting at successive trailheads, to switch drivers, while still maintaing a generally westerly, and just as important downhill, course. I've downloaded the forest service brochure on the trail, does anyone know where I can get more info about how technical each segment is, and even better generally how long each takes to ride when heading west? Finally, if you were only going to do two or three segments of the trail, which ones would you do and why?

Quote Originally Posted by Jamespio View Post
    I've been looking at the North Umpqua trail. From what little I've learned, it seems like it ought to be possible for the wife and I to do segments of the N.U. Trail with the kiddos, with one person driving and meeting at successive trailheads, to switch drivers, while still maintaing a generally westerly, and just as important downhill, course. I've downloaded the forest service brochure on the trail, does anyone know where I can get more info about how technical each segment is, and even better generally how long each takes to ride when heading west? Finally, if you were only going to do two or three segments of the trail, which ones would you do and why?
    Which few segments, from the ones I have ridden, is easy to narrow down.

Dread and Terror (my favorite ) and Deer Leap. I have ridden Marters, Calf and Panther but it is not as good.

Dread and Terror: technical fun trail. Somewhat exposed in places, it keeps ya thinking most of the time and engaged. Views are great, riding along the river is cool and the hot springs are at the end of this segment which is nice to soak in after riding. For some reason whenever I ride this trail its ALWAYS raining. So its nice to warm up in the hot springs with a few brews.

Deer Leap is fun as well. Pretty similar to Dread and Terror but more climbing. Look at http://www.blm.gov/or/districts/rose.../umpquatrails/ and you can see elevation profiles and mileage descriptions.