Building a trail in a highway median?

Has anyone ever built a trail in a highway median before? I'm curious what the ramifications are if caught, or even if highway workers frequent wooded median strips. The median I've been eyeing has several dirt roads leading into it, but it doesn't seem like there would be anything in there of interest for state workers. Just curious if anyone has built bootleg trails like that. This one is densely wooded and several hundred yards wide.
    A fucking show dog with fucking papers

It's not what you do, but what you get caught for. Good luck.

Here in Raleigh there's a lot of bandit trail building because of loads of resistance from public land managers to official mountain biking trails.
    Basically it usually takes a few people to get in and get out quickly and stealthily with rakes and leaf blowers and then open it up to enough traffic to work it in. Eventually the trail will disappear and there's nothing you can do but cry. In the meantime, it's usually not worth the resources for a nebulous land manager/land owner to chase down people who are just using vs building the trails. Just don't let it get too crazy with traffic or jumps,etc and hopefull nobody will take the time to notice or care you're there.
    Good luck. I think strips of wooded highway buffers are a huge untapped resource for mountain biking.

I really like this idea, let us know if you find anything.

Finstah Guest
    The air quality you'd be breathing while riding would be shit.

Rad idea. I'd say the easiest way to do it is to clip the corridor, then hit it with a leafblower or dirtbike to quickly burn in a trail. Then let riders do the rest.

Looks like you're in MA like me. I don't think you have anything to worry about from highway workers. Not sure the DCR can do anything if it's not their land, which means it might just be the Environmental Police who would have a bone to pick with you. Getting caught by the DCR ain't a thing (has happened to me a couple times), but I sure wouldn't want to get caught with tools in my hand by the EP. You could hide the entry and exit, and then I'll just about guarantee the state workers will never find it. Those lazy fucks don't ever leave their trucks.

Where the hell in MA is there a median like this?

Couple spots on 495 that I can think of. Can't be too specific though right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Odin
    But where is he going to get 10 gallons of crisco, a real doll, 14 japanese virgins, a box of strawberrys, a bottle of old harpers, 12 and a half mangum condoms and some rubber gloves at this time of night?

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig View Post
    It's not what you do, but what you get caught for. Good luck.
    True. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    I think strips of wooded highway buffers are a huge untapped resource for mountain biking.
    I don't think traffic will be an issue, since it will be tough to find. Which like you said, has it's downside because the trail wont get ridden in. But yeah, I agree that medians are great spots for trails! As long as the trails are not within sight of the road (as a distraction to drivers, seeing someone riding).

Quote Originally Posted by Anospa View Post
    I really like this idea, let us know if you find anything.
    Will do!

Quote Originally Posted by Finstah View Post
    The air quality you'd be breathing while riding would be shit.
    I think the air quality I breathe while living within spitting distance of heavily traveled roads and one of the largest cities in the country is probably shit anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeah! View Post
    Where the hell in MA is there a median like this?
    Quote Originally Posted by birdman829 View Post
    Couple spots on 495 that I can think of. Can't be too specific though right?
    Right. Although if I ever start working on it, I may divulge my secret to a few people. You guys are first in line. I really want to get out there now for the long sight lines and mark it out, and then use the cover of summer foliage to hide under. I just don't have a ton of free time right now.

There are some good ones in CT, too that I was looking at when I go home to visit my fam.
    A fucking show dog with fucking papers