What did I do wrong?

I just got my first tubeless setup, and I'm generally inexperienced in the ways of tubeless.

Setup is 2.35 Minion DHF on S/R Charger Pros. Sealant is Stan's.

Took them for their third ride today. Tires were aired up to somewhere in the ballpark of 25, which is probably a little less than I'd normally run with tubes.
    I took a hard corner into a berm and blew the tire straight off the rim - it sounded like a gunshot. There doesn't appear to be any damage to the tire or rim, and there was still some sealant left in the tire, even though one bead was completely off.

Was I running too little pressure? What am I missing here? If tubeless means that I can't corner hard, I'll go back to tubes.

I am not overly skilled in the ways of tubeless but did you over inflate to make sure the lip sealed well against the rim? Either way I suggest taking that puppy up to 50psi and letting things seal well for a few minutes and then dropping back down to desired pressure. Lubricating the sidewall with some soapy water helps but over inflating a bit is key.

IF they were mounted properly it sounds like you just blew it off the rim with too low pressure. Try a bit harder, plus what RT said above, the POP of the tire seating then backing off the pressure it key, Use a digital gauge or calibrated floor pump too.

I had setup tubless on a mavic crossline rear wheel and dt swiss 5.1 front rim last summer. I did it by the book and took everything up to 50psi and let the sealant coat everything. It was great for about a week or so, and then I was doing a pretty mellow roller and the rear tire blew off the rim.

I'm done with tubeless until I have tubeless rims (the front rim was "tubeless ready").

You could have been running too little pressure, or it could have been that your rim and tire didn't hook up perfectly.

In my experience when I run tubeless at anything less than 30 psi I have burps. I have had to bail out on rides that had lots of roots and rocks due to not being able to keep air pressure in the tires.

I have also had bad experiences with Stans degrading tires over time. More than one of my Neo Moto side walls will no longer hold air w/o a tube after having Stans in the previous year. Yes I added more fluid the following preseason, they were sieves.

Running tubeless can be great and a necessity in some areas but it can also be a hassle and not worth the cost. I came to the conclusion that for certain kinds of rides its ok for me but in the end it easier for me to just tube it and carry spares.
    watch out for snakes

All of the above, and 2 things: First, while overpressurizing is key to getting the beads to fully seat, don't go too high, or you'll blow it off the rim. Stans, IIRC, says don't go over 40, and their rims and the SR Chargers are pretty much the same thing. Soapy water will help it seat at a lower pressure than w/o. Second, in my experience and for where I ride, it's a mistake to lower your tubeless pressure much below what you'd run with tubes. You still get gobs more traction and a more supple ride simply because the tube is not in there stiffening up the sidewall. Good luck!
    - Joe

Are your DHFs single ply? I'm running DHF's dual ply with 30 lbs pressure and stan's no problems. I'm leary of running non ust single ply tubless. I've just never had very good luck with single ply tires. Same problems you had plus lots of blown sidewalls. That being said, keep trying till you get a tubless sytem that works for you. I think you'll be stoked once it's working as advertised.

I think it's a combo of non-UST tire bead and not enough psi for your personal level of shred-turn. I have found that I run about the same psi tubeless as I run with tubes.
    Tubeless setups are definitely fickle, particularly when not using a tubeless ready tire.

You are a shredder running a shreddy tire, not some low tread 29er riding mtbr weenie who runs low 20s or even sub 20(shudder). I think a non DH tire generally feels squirmy and shitty at 25 and below...also know that all this shit is relative to your pump and everyone else's unless you are using a digi tire gauge. The vast majority of pump gauges suck, figure out what works for you on your pump and then 'calibrate' your hand for that feel.

Inspect the shit out of the tire bead to make sure it wasn't damaged and try it again. You want to hear a good, scary 'snap!' when the bead sets into place, but know that a non-ust bead is lower volume than a UST, so the bead lock is not as tight. When running a non-tubeless tire you usually have to run a bit higher pressure because of that bead issue and the sidewall/casing was designed with the support of a tube inside, so it'll get all squirmy/burpy if you go too low.

Start a bit high(yeah you will!), go ride and bleed a little bit of air bit by bit to get to a comfortable place. The PSI might be a bit higher than you expected, but know that the tire is still doing it's thing, morphing and staying hooked up with the terrain better without the added friction of a tube inside. Plus the first time you blast through a rock garden and you know you should have pinched, you won't fuck with tubes ever again.

Hopefully Maxxis will get their shit together soon and release their tubeless ready tires in acceptable treads with a good bead and a slightly beefed sidewall.

Cool, good advice here. I'm fairly confident the initial install was solid; I used water, over inflated to 40-50ish, and definitely got some nice pops out of the bead when it seated. Also, just from a visual inspection, it looked like the bead seated evenly and cleanly.

I guess I'll go out and try a slightly higher psi and see what happens.

Running the single ply minions set up Ghetto I haven't been able to go under about 35 without them feeling really squirmy, below about 32 they will burp. I weigh about 200 though. At 35 I absolutely love the setup.

I had the same issue with my Maxxis Ardents and my tubeless-ready DT Swiss M480 rims. The rim was fine as was the install, but with a non-UST tire, it just didn't hold as well. I also ran my below 30 psi and it popped quite a bit - to the point I just said F-it and run tubes.

Once I pop for UST tires, tubes all the way.

So yah; over 30-ish psi, UST tires and tubeless or tubeless ready rims. Otherwise, it's gamble.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig View Post
    So yah; over 30-ish psi, UST tires and tubeless or tubeless ready rims. Otherwise, it's gamble.
    I am continually dumbfounded by the variation in what works and doesn't work for different people in regards to tubeless. Personally I am running regular nevegal 2.35s on non-TR DT Swiss E540s at 25-28 psi and have never burped once, including the whole enchilada and similar extra chundery trails. Hell, when I set them up I was able to seat them with my floor pump.

I'm a fatty and don't finesse much. I've never had good luck with sub 32 psi on any type of tubeless setup. That's based on my floor pump so I don't know what the pressure actually is but just like flowtron said, I know what will pass by feel. I think I'm generally 34ish based on my gauge.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    I am continually dumbfounded by the variation in what works and doesn't work for different people in regards to tubeless. Personally I am running regular nevegal 2.35s on non-TR DT Swiss E540s at 25-28 psi and have never burped once, including the whole enchilada and similar extra chundery trails. Hell, when I set them up I was able to seat them with my floor pump.
    Similar experience for me except running shitty WTB Cross Country Speed Disc with non tubless ready Nevegals. Set up with floor pump and leaked for several days at first but still rode them. I run at 24lbs and trails here in NC are nothing but roots roots roots. No burps. No probs. I probably don't ride as hard as some in here but I don't tool along on greenway either. I was flatting about every hundred miles before. Just switched them over to a UST rim and got the balls-to-the-wall pop pop pop on seating them up. Pretty sure those fuckers aren't coming off.

Consistent with the inconsistency of non-UST tubeless, I'm having a bitch of a time getting something to seat on the tubeless ready American Classics I picked up in here for my wife's 29er. Tried three different non-tubless ready tires and nothing even came close to filling up with air using a refrigerator sized compressor. Still waiting for a plan to materialize and getting frustrated stuffing tubes in what should be an uber light set of hoops.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    I'm having a bitch of a time getting something to seat on the tubeless ready American Classics I picked up in here for my wife's 29er. Tried three different non-tubless ready tires and nothing even came close to filling up with air using a refrigerator sized compressor.
    You might have tried this already or it may be difficult to do this but here is an idea. Take a 3-4 mm string and wrap around the center of the tire while mounted on the rim. Or 1" tie-down with ratchet would probably be a whole lot easier. If using the cord, use a truckers hitch or something similar to essentially pucker the sidewall out towards to the rim to force it to seal. With the tie-down, ratchet that baby pretty snug to force the sidewall out. Then try filling the tire. It may take a few tries and the webbing may slide off of the tire annoying the shit out of you.

Once the sidewall does start to catch the rim start easing the tension off easily at first to insure the sidewall does not burp. With a very pliable sidewall this may be the trickiest part. Hopefully this will do the trick.
    Last edited by reynolds.trailrun; 04-12-2012 at 02:22 PM. Reason: I am a dumbass

Quote Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
    In my experience when I run tubeless at anything less than 30 psi I have burps. I have had to bail out on rides that had lots of roots and rocks due to not being able to keep air pressure in the tires.

I have also had bad experiences with Stans degrading tires over time. More than one of my Neo Moto side walls will no longer hold air w/o a tube after having Stans in the previous year. Yes I added more fluid the following preseason, they were sieves.

Running tubeless can be great and a necessity in some areas but it can also be a hassle and not worth the cost. I came to the conclusion that for certain kinds of rides its ok for me but in the end it easier for me to just tube it and carry spares.
    the neo moto is not a tubeless-ready tire. many people run it tubeless, but it ends up being one of those YMMV things.

since the tire/rim market has so many choices now of truly tubeless-ready tires and easy-to-mount rims, the Pain in the Ass factor has gone to near zero. So much so, that running tubes on some of my bikes (DJ) is a pain in the ass by comparison.