Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by gramboh View Post
    How do people run their RS' when skinning? Upper buckles clasped/power strap lightly closed, or buckles off and strap loose? Do folks actually slide the tongue off to the side other than getting the boot on/off?

cheers
    I loosen the strap, but it's still velcroed. Buckles loose/flipped out. Tongue stays in place. Sometimes, if I noticed heel lift or something, I'll mess around with the buckles and have them looser than when skiing downhill, but not flipped out--e.g. in a looser notch of the ladder.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Strap as loose as possible while still being connected, upper buckle off,instep buckle unclasped and the two bottom buckles off.

Top buckles and strap loose. Instep buckle and forefoot buckles snug enough to secure heel in heel pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post
    Top buckles and strap loose. Instep buckle and forefoot buckles snug enough to secure heel in heel pocket.
    Same way I run mine. Bottom buckles loose=heel lift aka blister city.

Ran the o.g. mango maestrale for a few seasons years ago; way too soft, pebax didn't hold a punch; ditched it but while in use found pleasing tour mode results using this system...found that powerstrap totally max loose and cuff buckle 'open' in max range position caused it to butterfly and flap while skinning; caught on rocks while hiking and scrubbed the vertical walls on skin trails causing friction and anger...much more lower profile while 'closed' but 'loose' without flopping in the breeze using the zip tie.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	maestrale 001.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	926.5 KB 
ID:	173153  
    Master of mediocrity.

I undo all the buckles while skinning. I've downsized a size or two to a 29.5 and don't get any blister causing movement while skinning but that all comes down to foot shape I think.

Anyone else just remove the booster strap? I find it to be pretty useless. I guess it's main advantage is to reinforce the top buckle and to be used as a backup if it were to break. The only time I notice the strap is when it's too tight while skiing it cramps my calf.

Quote Originally Posted by shredgnar View Post
    I undo all the buckles while skinning. I've downsized a size or two to a 29.5 and don't get any blister causing movement while skinning but that all comes down to foot shape I think.

Anyone else just remove the booster strap? I find it to be pretty useless. I guess it's main advantage is to reinforce the top buckle and to be used as a backup if it were to break. The only time I notice the strap is when it's too tight while skiing it cramps my calf.
    For skinning, I have the instep buckle closed loosely (to prevent heel lift), other three buckles are sitting in the latches but not closed. Power strap is as loose as it can get and still be closed. Actually, I replaced the power strap with a big-B Booster strap, and it was a key improvement for the down. Much better overall stiffness and progressive flex in the forward direction (lateral stiffness was always there).

Tried to search but couldn't find it. Does anyone know for sure which version of the intuition pro tour is stock in the RS, MV or HV? I could see wanting to take up some space 30-40 days down the road and may just go to a powerwrap but this boot skis so well I could do a higher volume tour liner to maintain the walk mode.

I asked in the past (earlier in this thread, I think) and LeeLau said it wasn't a true pro tour. Not sure which it's closest to.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

Hey ZZZ - its a custom liner Scarpa had Intuition make. Main difference is shaving foam from the foot bottom part so people could use footbeds

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Hey ZZZ - its a custom liner Scarpa had Intuition make. Main difference is shaving foam from the foot bottom part so people could use footbeds
    Gotcha. After looking at it for a bit, it looks more like a medium volume and I can see that the sole is a bit thinner. Pretty stoked on the boot after wringing my hands over either fixing up my Dynafit Ones or going to an Atomic Backland. I've missed some of that progressive flex. And despite the fact that a One is supposed to have a wider last, the Scarpa's feel wider, and so much comfier.

I also need to take up some volume in the forefoot area - I find my ankle and heel snug but the boot is too roomy above my foot from the arch forward. I tried a non-scarpa brand intuition liner w/ medium flex and found that it adds some volume to the forefoot area, but also adds volume to the ankle where I don't need or want it. I don't want to add a shim below my forefoot as i believe it will effectively narrow the last as it lifts my foot. Anyone have ideas?

A few screws holding in the latches on my RS boots are stripped and/or falling out. Anyone know of an easy way to get some spares?

Somehow ripped the upper hinges on both tongues. Any idea how this happened? I usually tour with everything loose and I wonder if this is what happened.

AND how can I get new hinges?

Somehow ripped the upper hinges on both tongues. Any idea how this happened? I usually tour with everything loose and I wonder if this is what happened.

Call Scarpa in Boulder, JONG. You know this.

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    Call Scarpa in Boulder, JONG. You know this.
    I actually filled out a form online but haven't heard back yet. A local shop is a repair center but since I bought them on the evil internet (because they only carried size 9's), I'd feel like a dick asking them to fix them.

New Blister review on long-term durability of the RS highlights that the hinges can have durability issues. http://blistergearreview.com/gear-re...a-maestrale-rs

ETA: includes info on replacing the hinges
    Last edited by meter-man; 03-10-2016 at 02:12 PM.

Broke 2 or 3 on Mango Maestrales and 1 so far on Maestrale RS. Replacing them isn't too difficult and the replacements that I've used did not require drilling out the lower boot shell, just the rivet unlike the Blister Review talked about. Mine also came with blue? Loctite already on the threads. Haven't had any issue with bolts falling back out. These could have been old replacement parts from my mangos, don't really remember.

Only tip I have with replacing the hinges is to be aware of how much heat is being cause by drilling and to do it in a few stages. Or do it on your kitchen counter and periodically use the sink to cool the metal.

Does anybody know if there is a difference in the liners between the Mango's and RS's? I know there are some visual differences.

I am upgrading to the RS and wonder if I should just keep my Mango liner and not mess with reheating and molding.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    Does anybody know if there is a difference in the liners between the Mango's and RS's? I know there are some visual differences.

I am upgrading to the RS and wonder if I should just keep my Mango liner and not mess with reheating and molding.
    Is it possible to get an RS shell only without buying it used?

Quote Originally Posted by gramboh
    How do people run their RS' when skinning? Upper buckles clasped/power strap lightly closed, or buckles off and strap loose? Do folks actually slide the tongue off to the side other than getting the boot on/off?

cheers
    I'm still figuring out what works for me but right now but I loosen the power strap a bit, maybe 2", flip the top buckle open but leave it in it's position, flip the instep buckle open and either flip the top foot buckles or reset them to a notch where they keep from opening but don't really clamp down any. I've found looser is better for me, I get a little heel rise but it's not bad.

Does anyone ski in the 18° mode? I tried it at first and liked how upright I was but couldn't get over my skis like I was used to, switched to the 22° setting and was back to what I feel works well but I can't really be upright.

Not sure if the optimum boot setup for the mango's transposes to the RS but here's a few pics of works best for me. I run my mangos with high volume intuition luxury liners with custom orthotic footbeds with a pretty thick heel block as I kinda prefer more foot ramp angle. All this rests in a shell with a heavily punched out forefoot...match made in heaven.

Tour mode: power strap looped through loop at top of liner tongue and back on itself, top buckle bail on max ladder catch and open, fold of ankle rachet buckle open but kinda racheted back a bit (loose, no tension), both forefoot buckles on max loose position but buckles closed. This setup seems to give max fore/aft rom without having the cuff buckle totally loose and detached. The 'snug but loose' lower shell setup allows or great dexterity while hiking/scrambling off snow and fair forefoot fit tension for edging while uphilling on firm snow or crusts.

Ski mode: In stock form of the boot, I also had problems 'getting over my skis' using the upright lean setting, well, i could get over my skis flexing the boot pressuring a turn, but in between turns the back of cuff was too upright causing me to get thrown in the back seat and i never felt positioned correctly in terms of my body center of mass on the balls of my feet...felt mostly midfoot/heel even with correct ankle flex in turns...some careful tweaking of boot has brought a satisfactory stance angle.

----Upright (18degrees?) locked position, salomon d/h boot spoiler inserted between back of liner/upper cuff, a few inch long 2/3mm thick bontex pad under heel to create a bit more forward bootboard ramp angle and snug up the heel pocket, full length bontex spacer to take up a bit of general volume. Results in snug heel fit, 'just right' forward lean and fit tension for cuff/shell and, for me, correct fore aft balance of foot in boot for nice feeling ball of foot based turns with nice smooth progressive ankle flex.

I found that the most forward of the forward lean position was a bit too much. Couldn't 'feel' the tongue of liner/boots and cooked the quads after not being able to get upright in between turns...plus, with the mangos, the extreme forward lean caused the boot to collapse in junk snow...might not be an issue with the stiffer RS?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1060751.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	1.59 MB 
ID:	177958   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1060753.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	1.83 MB 
ID:	177959   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1060754.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	177960  
    Last edited by swissiphic; 03-10-2016 at 09:34 PM.
    Master of mediocrity.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post
    This^^ my buddy always leaves all his buckles not only loose but floping around on his maestrale RS and he has broken buckles
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    my buddy always leaves all his buckles not only loose but floping around on his maestrale RS and he has broken buckles
    Hmmmm, if this is a smithers buddy, how the hell does he get any edge grip for uphilling on your ever present bulkley valley boilerplate and breakable crust?
    Master of mediocrity.

We got that fixed since you were last here ... No more breakable crust
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Thread revival...

New Maestrales are out. Any thoughts? Someone has must have skied them by now...