Which boot stiffness scale is stiffer? 2011/12 Nordica or Lange?

Which one is stiffer? Nordica 90? Or Lange 90?

Why do I ask? The answer will help my female friend decide between buying the Lange Exclusive RX 90 and RX 100 boots, given that she knows exactly how stiff a Nordica HotRod 90W feels.

- TRADE your heavy PROTESTS for my lightweight version at this thread

"My biggest goal in life has always been to pursue passion and to make dreams a reality. I love my daughter, but if I had to quit my passions for her, then I would be setting the wrong example for her, and I would not be myself anymore. " -Shane

"I'm gonna go SO OFF that NO ONE's ever gonna see what I'm gonna do!" -Saucerboy

The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado
    The lange will feel a shade stiffer because its a mono-injected shell compared to the bi-injected plastic nordy uses to make the boot easier to get on and off. The lange will have less instep compression as a result, but it won't make near as much difference as going from a 102mm last in the nordica to a 100mm in the lange. Fit comes first, as long as she can flex the boot 90 or 100 won't make or break it. Plus, if she's got more than a season on the nordicas, they don't flex like they did out of the box.

Thanks! Materials aside, I just figured that each brand uses their own non-standard stiffness scale, and that it's pure coincidence that multiple brands have chosen numbers in the same general range around 60-150.

The fit of her current Nordicas is so far off that even after a lot of frustrating custom fitting work on them, the other Lange shells right out of the box feel like a much better fit to her, even with her old Nordica liners in the new Lange shells. (No idea why she ever bought those Nordicas without consulting me first...) Anyway, I'll likely advise her to get the stiffer RX 100, and if desired we can turn it into a "90" by removing 1-2 bolts from the achilles. Flex matters, because she's driving a Mantra that is significantly longer than her height.

"My biggest goal in life has always been to pursue passion and to make dreams a reality. I love my daughter, but if I had to quit my passions for her, then I would be setting the wrong example for her, and I would not be myself anymore. " -Shane

"I'm gonna go SO OFF that NO ONE's ever gonna see what I'm gonna do!" -Saucerboy

go stiffer, as you can always make the boots softer, later, if needed.

I find that the langes FOR ME, flex stiffer, but I think that is not due to plastic, but the way the boot fits, and the placement of the flex point/ankle bolts.

The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado
    If pulling the screws out of the back of the upper cuff makes the boot feel too flopppy, you might consider leaving them in and just scalloping the upper cuff up more above the instep, below the second buckle (hope that makes sense). It'll increase her range of motion and still give her enough power to drive those tips around.

Nordica developed the flex index that everyone uses now, but it varies some from brand to brand. The funny thing is that now that everyone uses that system, nordica is switching to a different, completely arbitrary scale. Go figure.

My Dobermann Pro 130's are an order of magnitude stiffer than either Lange RS 130 or RX 130, both of which I skied early this season. For what it's worth.

Trying on this season's RX's and Blasters the Langes seemed stiffer than comparable models from Nordica. My wife picked up a pair of RX's, she also felt like the 100 flex RX was stiffer than comparable Nordica or Sollie models.

Quote Originally Posted by Vitamin I View Post
    Anyway, I'll likely advise her to get the stiffer RX 100, and if desired we can turn it into a "90" by removing 1-2 bolts from the achilles. Flex matters, because she's driving a Mantra that is significantly longer than her height.
    From peraonal experience with tecnica 130's:
    Removing the bottom bolt - tiny to zero change in flex.
    Removing the top bolt - significantly more progressive flex, much better for me, especially in choppy snow.
    Removing both bolts - don't do this, worst idea ever.
    simen@downskis.com DOWN SKIS

Quote Originally Posted by Vitamin I View Post

(No idea why she ever bought those Nordicas without consulting me first...)
    Wrong forum Jong. You want the Couples Therapy forum.

How each boot flexes for her will depend on how her ankle/foot/leg geometry and respective range of motion align with the boot geometry and structure, aka how the upper and lower interact and how the plastic in the upper and lower deform. It is not just plastic stiffness, but aligning the joints (your foot is full of them) with the the primary stress axis of the plastic. Aka they will flex differently for each person. Everyone also has a different prefrence for how a boot flexes. A stiff boot is not just a stiff boot.

But overall, when in doubt go stiffer, and be willing to make the boot softer.

Also you need to make sure that te boot is not to stiff for her, in my less than 2¢ opinion, a stiff ski does not require a stiff boot to ski. If she can not flex the boot, the combination of a stiffer ski and a stiff boot will have her in the back seat and bending forward at the waist to get her weight forward; resulting in a very sore back at the end of the day, and not a whole lot of control. A good fit with a proper flexing boot will give much more control than that ego boot on the top of the wall.

Quote Originally Posted by ZomblibulaX View Post
    ...Nordica developed the flex index that everyone uses now, but it varies some from brand to brand. The funny thing is that now that everyone uses that system, nordica is switching to a different, completely arbitrary scale. Go figure.
    Cool to hear. I always wondered about that boot flex scale.

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    ...Also you need to make sure that te boot is not to stiff for her... If she can not flex the boot, the combination of a stiffer ski and a stiff boot will have her in the back seat and bending forward at the waist to get her weight forward...
    Yeah, I gotta make sure she doesn't end up with a too stiff boot. I personally like stiff boots to drive a long stiff ski, so that my shin can really dictate to nasty snow at the faraway tip---but the flipside is that some people really hate that stiffness combo if it is the nasty snow that is doing the dictating to the shin. But again, easy to soften a stiff boot. (ASIDE: Reminds me, I have used the Salomon "race kit" shin plates to basically convert a Salomon ProModel 95 boot into a Course 120 or 130---pretty impressive results there, it works.)

My Nordica Dobermann 130s feel quite a bit stiffer than my current Lange RS 130s. I guess it goes to show that anatomy plays a big part in flex as the consensus seems to feel the opposite.