Summer in Montana

I'm moving to St. Regis for the summer to fly fish (and work) but mostly fly fish. I have about a month to fill my fly box, I've been spending most of my free time tying stimis, wulffs and other basic patterns and I'm getting pretty bored. Any advice on what to tie up for late May/early June Montana fishing?

Late may/early june is usually peak runoff period if you are fishing anywhere near mountains. The main hatches around runoff in the Rockies are Mother's Day caddis (grannoms) before runoff and stoneflies (salmon, golden and yellow sally) and assorted caddis on the backside of runoff. Mayflies fire up after the water settles and clears a bit. Tie up a lot of heavy #6 stonefly nymphs in black or brown (a simple rubberlegs or "turd" works great and is very durable). Tie them heavy enough to use without split shot. Shot will triple your hangups and interfere with the ability to feel the take. You'll use these to high stick along the bank (also refered to as "tight line" nymphing) while we wait for the water to subside. It's feel fishing, there's not much sight fishing in muddy water. The fish are up against the bank picking off migrating stonefly nymphs during high water; ignore the rest of the river.
    Last edited by neckdeep; 04-05-2012 at 07:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaje (ha-hey) View Post
    I'm moving to St. Regis for the summer to fly fish (and work) but mostly fly fish. I have about a month to fill my fly box, I've been spending most of my free time tying stimis, wulffs and other basic patterns and I'm getting pretty bored. Any advice on what to tie up for late May/early June Montana fishing?
    With our WAY over average snow pack, the Fork will be HIGH and muddy that time of year. Last year it hit 50,000cfs that time of year and looking to do the same this year. Wasn't trying to pop your bubble. Hopefully I am wrong.

Fuck I love that area, no fly advice, I usually go car camping mid August and hit the upper st. joe, then drive back to Kelly Creek and my altime fav Cause creek $$$. Never caught more fish or seen prettier water.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010101.JPG 
Views:	143 
Size:	400.5 KB 
ID:	114401  

I have never fished that region, but I had to deal with a lot of muddied water last year. My hookup count went up when I started using flies with some sort of UV dubbing, chenille, or flash.

Dennis