Don't Sell Your Images For "Image Credit"

A friend of mine was recently contacted to license an image he made to a company making 20,000 calendars and selling them for $12.99 each. They wanted his image for free. He wrote up a blog post about the experience which is a good read and raises an issue which is probably relevant (or will be soon) to anyone who has ever tried to negotiate this.

http://jeffreyswansonphotography.com...e-credit-alone

Good on him. I'd have done the same thing. I don't really care about image credit in a situation like that. You want to make money off of something I produced, pay me or go away.

Turns All Year is going to use one of my images on their home page sometime in the near future. I didn't ask for anything but credit for that because they're not making any money off that site and I appreciate the resource it provides. However, if TGR wanted to use my image (beyond the use they already get from stuff I voluntarily post here in the forums), the situation would be a bit different.
    ...Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain...

"I enjoy skinny skiing, bullfights on acid..." - Lacy Underalls

The problems we face will not be solved by the minds that created them.

I saw that image yesterday. I am not sure where, but I saw it. [It was not on a 12.99 calendar]

This is what I've always questioned about other idustries. Engineers (and technologists) have a code of ethics which includes the principal of fair pay. Prevents PE's from doing this, which keeps all of us well paid.

OTOH, my brother is going to school to be a farrier (puts shoes on horses) and will be "working" for free this summer. If they all refused to work for free, they could all be paid for their work.

That said, I did allow one of my profs to use two of my pictures in his textbook. I received a free copy (which was required for some of my latter classes), but it saved me $$ because I didn't have to buy a copy, so I feel that was fair compensation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke
    Cell phones are great in the backcountry. If you're injured, you can use them to play Tetris, which helps pass the time while waiting for cold embrace of Death to envelop you.

Quote Originally Posted by farmer View Post
    This is what I've always questioned about other idustries. Engineers (and technologists) have a code of ethics which includes the principal of fair pay. Prevents PE's from doing this, which keeps all of us well paid.

OTOH, my brother is going to school to be a farrier (puts shoes on horses) and will be "working" for free this summer. If they all refused to work for free, they could all be paid for their work.

They must not have a union. Although un-paid internships are common in many fields.

Quote Originally Posted by farmer View Post
    That said, I did allow one of my profs to use two of my pictures in his textbook. I received a free copy (which was required for some of my latter classes), but it saved me $$ because I didn't have to buy a copy, so I feel that was fair compensation.
    So, you were compensated in a way that seemed fair to you. I don't see the problem with that, though I'm curious how much $ your prof stood to earn from the publication of that book. Depending on the answer to that question, you might have short-changed yourself, or not.
    ...Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain...

"I enjoy skinny skiing, bullfights on acid..." - Lacy Underalls

The problems we face will not be solved by the minds that created them.

Quote Originally Posted by Chainsaw_Willie View Post
    They must not have a union. Although un-paid internships are common in many fields.
    Many (if not most - dunno) internships receive college credit. That's "compensation." You also should still be under the college's health insurance policy, thus not making the business liable for injuries on the job.

I keep hearing about unpaid post-collegiate "internships" but don't understand how that could possibly be legal. My company pays AND makes sure you get credit. It's also one of the hardest internships in the Journalism field to get, since you're first sent to NY with Room & Board for training, then possibly placed in a field office (usually DC or LA) or stay in the NY newsroom, and every intern I've met ended up with a "real" entry-level job after 6 months.

Tumblr is where I saw that image