Notices

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Wisconsistan Wolf Hunt

Wisconsin governor signs wolf hunt bill

MADISON, Wis. (AP) -- Gov. Scott Walker has signed a bill that would create a wolf hunt in Wisconsin.

The bill would establish a hunting and trapping season that would run from mid-October through the end of February. The Department of Natural Resources would be allowed to determine how many licenses to issue through a preference point system.

Wisconsin wolves came off the federal endangered species list last year. The state is now free to manage the wolves as they see fit.

Walker signed the bill during an appearance Monday morning at Aqualand Manufacturing, Inc., a dock maker in Woodruff. He issued a press release saying the hunt will help control a burgeoning wolf population that has been preying on livestock.

Copyright 2012 The AP.
    I'm gonna try my hardest to get a license!

The old same place not the same old place
    Smoke a pack a day, right Jer?
    Move far enough to the right and you get Hitler.

Move far enough to the left and you get Jesus, the world's original hippie.

Move far enough from reality and you get the Tea Party.

Uh, no.

I'm no Walker homer. This is one of the dumbest things he's done yet.

Licenses are going to be limited. If I get one that's one less kill-boner retard that will be able to legally shoot a wolf.

I know there are lots of hippies in Madison who think wolf hunting is gay - I strongly encourage them to take some time off from occupying the capitol and apply for a wolf license as well.

How many Wolves are killed in WI each now? Is there a place to see the number?

And I am guessing Ranchers / Farmers already have permission to kill nuacance wolves?

Not sure how I feel about wolf tags
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

The old same place not the same old place
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    Uh, no.

Uhhhh, not even close.

Well maybe close.
    Move far enough to the right and you get Hitler.

Move far enough to the left and you get Jesus, the world's original hippie.

Move far enough from reality and you get the Tea Party.

whats the requirements to get a license in Wisconsin Jer?
    Lord King of the Beater-Kooks

Licenses are going to be limited. If I get one that's one less kill-boner retard that will be able to legally shoot a wolf.
    That's not necessarily true. It depends on how the number of licenses available is determined. For example doe permits numbers are based off the percentage of doe killed from the number of permits sold. So if wolf permits are calculated like doe permits then what you want to do won't help and will help increase the number of permits available the following year. Hopefully any season will be treated like the do with sturgeon spearing in Lake Winnebago, which closes as soon as the targeted number is reached or the season closes.

Quote Originally Posted by MTT View Post
    How many Wolves are killed in WI each now? Is there a place to see the number?

And I am guessing Ranchers / Farmers already have permission to kill nuacance wolves?

Not sure how I feel about wolf tags
    The DNR website has information about the number of wolves killed, but there are a people out there who practice the 3 S's (Shoot, Shovel, Shut up) so the actual number of wolves killed is unknown.
    "It's not that she said anything that wasn't true, it's that what she did say has almost no relation to the truth." - Rubicon

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    whats the requirements to get a license in Wisconsin Jer?
    Must be a minimum of 10 years old and hunt with a mentor and have successfully completed a Hunters Safety Course (if born on or after 1/1/1973).
    "It's not that she said anything that wasn't true, it's that what she did say has almost no relation to the truth." - Rubicon

Uh, no.

I know there are lots of hippies in Madison who think wolf hunting is gay - I strongly encourage them to take some time off from occupying the capitol and apply for a wolf license as well.
    Good work Jer. I was wondering WTF when I saw this post. But you came through for the critters. You WI doods need to get all the hippies on board to apply for the available licenses too. Great way to fuck up the Man's plans.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by telemike View Post
    at this point I don't care about gnar - I care about having teh funz skiing

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    Good work Jer. I was wondering WTF when I saw this post. But you came through for the critters. You WI doods need to get all the hippies on board to apply for the available licenses too. Great way to fuck up the Man's plans.
    hear, hear.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Trapping is for pussies

Walker just signed the bill yesterday, as far as I know the permitting process is undetermined. This is just a genius idea I came up with. My other idea was pretty rad as well, but it involves a massive multi-year manhunt so I won't get into it here.

Landowners have had the ability to kill nuicance wolves I think since the whole reintroduction thing began. As Grange stated, many "sportsmen" (most noteably redneck dipshit bear hunters) already kill wolves illegaly.

...and although I think anybody who shoots something they're not going to eat is a fag, I have to agree with Scrub and say that trappers are even bigger pussies. You wouldn't believe the number of he-man outdoorsmen around here who will not under any circumstances go into the woods unarmed. I'm in wolf country. I haven't been killed yet.Why would you hang out in a place where you're in constant fear of monsters? Like I've said many times before - some people should just stay the fuck out of the woods.

Sad fact of the matter is that there are a large number of idiots in Wisconsistan who view all fauna as merely something to shoot at.The arguements are always the same - eventually they all point to that woman who got killed in Canada years and years ago. OMG! Look out moron! The winner of the Megabucks jackpot might drop a sattelite on you!!!

What was Walker's rationale for supporting this?

I'll be putting up my radar for something similar in MI. I would imagine the packs in the UP cross into WI and vice versa.
    Balls Deep in the 'Ho

Pretty sure they are going to allow a wolf hunt in MN too. Haven't heard much more than a mention of it though.

Quote Originally Posted by Grange View Post
    Must be a minimum of 10 years old and hunt with a mentor and have successfully completed a Hunters Safety Course (if born on or after 1/1/1973).
    Does property ownership count for a resident license?
    Lord King of the Beater-Kooks

Jer, you really should move back out here.

This past season Montana had a quota of 220 wolves available for harvest. During the general archery and rifle seasons (which is about 4 months long) only 100 wolves were harvested. So they extended the wolf season another 2 months and only 33 more were harvested. So in a six month period, hunters only reached a harvest ratio of 60 percent of the quota. My take on this situation is that there are some very shitty hunters in this state.

Bonus: we have nice skiing out here too. Fishing's not bad either...

Note: I am a meat hunter. I only hunt for things I plan to eat.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    Does property ownership count for a resident license?
    No. A person has to live in WI.

Wisconsin restricts fall wolf kill to 201 animals

Updated: Tuesday, July 03, 2012 1:10 PM

By TODD RICHMOND

Associated Press

MADISON, Wis. (AP) -- Hunters would be allowed to kill roughly 20 percent of Wisconsin's wolves under rules the state Department of Natural Resources proposed Tuesday establishing the framework for this fall's new wolf hunt.

The rules package sets up a statewide quota of 201 wolves across six zones. It also declares the number of permits would be equal to 10 times the quota, or 2,010 permits, and prohibits hunting on five tribal reservations.

Non-tribal hunters could face even tighter kill restrictions. Treaties that ceded the northern third of the state to the federal government in the mid-19th century grant a half-dozen Chippewa tribes the right to claim up to 50 percent of the quota in that territory for themselves. It's unclear whether the tribes will exercise that right or to what extent -- the animals play a crucial role in tribal culture.

The DNR has estimated as many as 880 wolves roam the state. DNR ecologists want to slash that number to 350, but said in the rules they want to move slowly in the hunt's first year. The quota already has sparked grumbling in some outdoor circles as too low to make any difference.

"They're being overly conservative in my judgment," said George Meyer, executive director of the Wisconsin Wildlife Federation and a former DNR secretary. "You may not even reduce the population for next year. I'm not disagreeing with the idea of being cautious. (But) this is getting to be ultra-cautious."

President Barack Obama's administration removed wolves in Michigan, Minnesota and Wisconsin from the endangered species list in January. Days later, GOP lawmakers in Wisconsin introduced a bill setting up a hunt. Republican Gov. Scott Walker signed the measure into law in April.

The law was welcome news for farmers who have been struggling with wolves killing their livestock for several years. Last year alone, the DNR verified 111 complaints about problem wolves

The law lays out most of the hunt's parameters -- it will run from Oct. 15 to the end of February, permit applications will cost $10, permits will cost $100 for in-state hunters and hunters can use dogs, traps and bait -- but left the kill quotas up to the DNR.

In a memo to the Natural Resources Board, department Secretary Cathy Stepp wrote that the quotas will begin to reduce the wolf population, noting areas with depredation problems have been placed in zones with higher sub-quotas. However, the department "is uncomfortable prescribing higher harvests in the first year" because it's still unclear how depredation kills, illegal kills and the hunt's impact on wolf reproduction will affect the population.

"This is our first attempt," DNR Lands Division Administrator Kurt Thiede said in an interview. "We're going to learn a lot from this year. That's one of the reasons we're proceeding slowly. We're trying to find a balance between all the factors."

The Natural Resources Board is expected to take up the plan at a meeting in Stevens Point on July 17.

Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.
    $110 ain't that bad.

I wonder when WI will have an eagle hunting season? When can I put my traps out for deer? Remember - WI is the place where they tried to start up a cat season back in the 90's. I'm holding out for Fat Dumbass Redneck Season.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrubadub View Post
    Trapping is for pussies
    Yea just revisted this thread. I do not like trapping. Why?

Its probably no more inhumane than wounding a wolf. But I just do not find it sporting.
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Uh, no.

Your idea is a good one. I wonder if I can get a license, living in California. Probably not, but I would love to try.

What I would really like, is a license to hunt wolf hunters. That would be rad. I've wanted to hunt people since I read "The Most Dangerous Game" as a kid, and nothing would be better than shooting a bunch of wolf hunters.

The idea that wolves are overpopulated is really silly. They are clearly not the overpopulated species that needs its population limited......

Killing 20 percent of the humans out there would do a whole lot more for the world.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

Quote Originally Posted by Long duc dong View Post
    The idea that wolves are overpopulated is really silly.
    Especially in Wisconsistan. That's all I ever hear from the wolf hunter wannabes "Holy Baby Jesus - the wolf population is OUT OF CONTROL!!!". I live in wolf country. I've seen a grand total of two. The DNR estimates there are 600 in WI. These are the same guys who overestimated the deer heard by the bazillions for a decade.

Seriously - click on that facebook link. From what I've experienced that pud is a pretty good representation of the average WI wannabe wolf hunter. You should hear some of the discussions I've had with these geniuses. My favorite are the bear hunter dipshits who complain that wolves take out their dogs. Their solution? Protect their precious dogs by using them to hunt wolves! Honestly - they make many of the guys here seem totally rational by comparison.

Holy shit Jer, I'm definitely dumber for having read that FB page.
    Balls Deep in the 'Ho

Quote Originally Posted by 13 View Post
    Holy shit Jer, I'm definitely dumber for having read that FB page.
    Doesn't take much, does it?

I'm curious how a species goes from endangered one year to "we totally need to kill all these freaking things" the following.
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by systemoverblow'd View Post
    Doesn't take much, does it?

I'm curious how a species goes from endangered one year to "we totally need to kill all these freaking things" the following.
    One word: Fear.
    Balls Deep in the 'Ho