2012-2013 Hagan skis

I handled next years Hagan X carbon yesterday and am wondering if it's a step up from this years X ultra? I can't find any specs for it online and didn't get a chance to weigh it in the store(but it didn't feel super light).

Any beta?

Sure, I'm the owner of Hagan Ski USA, the Hagan distributor in the USA. You must have seen the sample at Mountain Outfitters in Breckenridge. The X-Carbon is the reintroduction and update of the venerable Hagan Carbon which was very popular in Europe but discontinued several years ago. The new X-Carbon has a wood core, semi-sidewall construction (ABS sidewalls underfoot, with cap construction at the tip and tail) and a 250mm tour rocker. It is available in 147, 155, 163 and 170cm lengths. The sidecut of the 163cm model is 112-75-100 with a radius of 16.2 meters.

The X-Carbon is a budget/value touring ski designed to be reliable and easy to handle and control. With a retail price of $449, it is a step above the entry level Alpin ($319).

To directly answer your question, no, the X-Carbon is not a step up from the X-Ultra. The X-Ultra ($649) is Hagan's premier light and fast, professional-level touring ski with full sidewall sandwich construction, a weight of only 1,000 grams in the 163cm, 111-71-101 model and no rocker. The 163cm X-Carbon by contrast weighs 1,270 grams. A closer comparison is the Hagan Dragon ($559) with full sidewall sandwich construction, 114-74-104 sidecut and a weight of 1,290 in the 165cm length.

This is a bit of a drift, but I had some Hagan Dolphins back in the day - 110ish underfoot. In retrospect, those things were ahead of their time. How come Hagan isn't making anything like that anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    This is a bit of a drift, but I had some Hagan Dolphins back in the day - 110ish underfoot. In retrospect, those things were ahead of their time. How come Hagan isn't making anything like that anymore?
    While Hagan has returned to its roots of traditional alpine touring skis, there were periods when its focus wasn't as tight. Hagan even made downhill skis in the 70s. Hagan eventually decided to refocus on the sport and recreational alpine touring market, especially light and fast touring skis. The Dolphin didn't fit in with the decision to establish an identity and reputation as a maker of quality light and/or traditional touring skis.

The Dolphin was ahead of its time, but the market for super-fat touring skis is now crowded. Hagan doesn't feel a need to enter this market, not unless it has something new and special to offer.

Michael Hagen - Hagan Ski USA

I like the cut of your jib Michael Hagen.

Welcome and good luck.

I still have a set of Atomic superlights with the carbon and incredible ugly bases. These were made by Schwen(sic). Those things got thrashed all over the WV backcountry and are still usable. Not bad for a late 80's ski.
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by Michael [B
    Hagen[/B];3607193]While Hagan has returned to its roots of traditional alpine touring skis, there were periods when its focus wasn't as tight. Hagan even made downhill skis in the 70s. Hagan eventually decided to refocus on the sport and recreational alpine touring market, especially light and fast touring skis. The Dolphin didn't fit in with the decision to establish an identity and reputation as a maker of quality light and/or traditional touring skis.

The Dolphin was ahead of its time, but the market for super-fat touring skis is now crowded. Hagan doesn't feel a need to enter this market, not unless it has something new and special to offer.

Michael Hagen - Hagan Ski USA

Thanks Mike. Good to know that the X carbon's weren't meant to be in the same scope.

re: scottyb, the info for the X carbon is nowhere on the internet, I'm very familiar with the specs for the current year line.

The heck with the teens, fast forward to the 20's on my C. H. Hagen & Co. almost 8 footers in pine. I'd like to dump them.

I had some Hagen DH boards back in the early 80's?