West Maui SUP surf spots for a total rookie

About to do a Griswold style vacay in West Maui (north Kaanapali). I plan on renting a SUP for the entire week and then regularly risking my pride and body by trying to SUP surf as much as possible. I've surfed a little, I paddle on Tahoe (flat water) a lot. Never been to Maui. Clearly a pasty white surfer JONG here. Any advice besides use lots of sunscreen?

Hmm. You taking a board with you? A rental board makes you look like more of a kook. Spray tan may be a good option. There are waves just north of the harbor. Also, if you drive south from lahaina, there's a park on the side, maybe 10-15 minutes away. Decent learning spot. If you're a decent wave catcher, there is a spot just east of honolua bay. Better know what you're doing, there. I'm rusty. Haven't been in four years.

Edit: Just saw that you said you were renting. Spray tan it up, brother!!
    Last edited by BS720; 03-30-2012 at 11:08 AM.
    "Yo!! Brentley! Ya wanna get faded before work?"

Any advice...don't take your SUP to a crowded line up. Those things can take little kids heads off, even in 1-2 ft surf. Don't worry so much about yourself, but the others you'd be endangering.

Have fun.

Laniapoko Warm water, no wind, and small waves. mello surf spot. plenty of SUP in area.

Just noticed BS720's post. That is park he's talking about. There's a parking lot which typically fills up leaving parking across highway.

Thanks for the advice guys. Sounds like the Launuipoko park is my spot (to start).
    I never thought of taking my board since it is truly a flat water board that would likely really suck in waves. I do plan on doing a lot of morning paddling without the surfing objective while there as well. Just want to get out on the water as much as possible. And I will use sunscreen too.
    I really try to be extra cool to tourists asking me stupid questions like where should they go to find powder in Tahoe, because I may be that tourist some day somewhere else....

Don't even considering flying with an SUP. Go to Hawaiian Island Surf and sport and talk to Carl or Dennis. Get one of their custom boards and a carbon paddle. Practice at launuipoko or thousnad peaks. If the north shore is not blown out just go to Kanaha early.

Oh, get a long sleeve rash guard as well. Stop in my bike shop in the same building (it's the one with the GSA sticker on the door) and rent a 29'' or road bike as well, great riding out there. PM me for bike reservations. Call their shop as well and book a board.

Aloha!

Thanks crampedon, I'll stop by.
    Since this site is mainly about skiing I thought I'd share this shot from kirkwood today - pow to Maui in 5 days!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1333324483.695856.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	187.3 KB 
ID:	113515

Let me know when you are here, stop in the shop say hi.

Go to Kauai instead
    http://momentskis.com/
    See you when Kauai freezes over.

Really? Ka-why? The baby waves on west Maui were big enough for me on an SUP.
    Sorry I didn't stop in Crampedon. I did see your shop while filling up the rental van on the way back to the airport. Was already running late though. You live in a fine place and thanks again for the advice.

Launuipoko is a great SUP spot. There are also several peaks back to the north/west back towards Lahaina that you can paddle to if Launuipoko gets crowded. 1000 peaks also good and more spread out so less crowded. Cove Park in Kihei is a longer drive but also a good SUP surf spot the breakfast at the Kihei Cafe is the best I found in Maui.

I'm really confused now. I thought Launiupoko was a local family beach with a lot of kiddies on boogie boards. Does everybody spread out on different breaks, or how does this work?

I'm kinda freaked at the thought of gaper sup bearing down on me this summer. Would like to be far away from that.

Is there a better break for boogie boards?
    Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each.
    Henry David Thoreau

SheRa, I wouldn't get too worked up about the gaper's , in surf breaks, you will find them anywhere, just look and give yourself some distance, Launiupoko gets alot of traffic because it's a nice park and a mellow break, sup's like it there to practice moves in small surf, I've never really liked the place , the wave breaks over coral rubble and it's shallow. actually most of the breaks along that stretch are shallow over coral, so watch the tide. If you don't like the crowd, keep heading down the road towards thousand peaks. I like a spot just north of Lahaina, called S-turns, it breaks right and left and doesn't see alot of crowd , get yourself the guide book by Buzzy Kerbox, it's small gives accurate descriptions of the breaks (good and bad). mostly, don't over think just jump in and enjoy!

Thank you for all the great advice. Your words are like a breath of fresh air. I really want to just relax and enjoy the summer.
    Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each.
    Henry David Thoreau

Hookipa bro.
    signature for rent.