Bindings for Katana

Just purchased some new Katanas. I demoed them last weekend at xtal, along with some other skis, and thought they just crushed the competitors. When I demoed them they had the 2013 marker duke bindings on them. I don't need dukes. The volkl rep told to get the dukes anyway and that was one of the reasons why the ski killed it. I don't really believe him, but maybe there is something to what he said. I have some head mojo 15s I could use or I can purchase some new bindings at a spring discount. In any event, I'm a little confused, don't want to screw this up because I imagine I will be using this ski for a number of years. Do bindings really matter at all for how a ski skis? If so, recommendations for the Katana? Are the mojo 15s fine or is there something with a larger footprint that might be better? Thanks for any help

Volkl and Marker are joined at the hip. Mojo is great binding in 15 din, it will ski the same maybe better IMO due to stack height being lower
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Mojo 15 is a solid binding. Katana is a solid ski. Together they will do great things.

Ignore the demo guy with regard to the binding. He is, after all, a salesman.

Thanks for the responses, which make my life easier. The funny thing is the rep expressly "took his salesman hat off" when he told me this. My friend and I didn't believe him, but I just wanted some reassurance from the board. Thanks again.

Reps never take their salesman hats off. They are salesman. Now if he told you to go buy another manufacturer's binders, then maybe..

Kied is offline Inconsiderate Tree Killer
    As already stated, your mojo's are fine.

If you want the feel of the Duke but do not need the touring capability just get the Jester. It's the same binding basically.

Other than the touring feature, the main differences between the Mojo and Duke that affect how they ski are ramp angle and width of the mounting platform. The Katana is torsionally stiff enough that the width of the mounting platform doesn't make much difference, which leaves ramp angle (height of the heel relative to height of the toe). Dukes have little to no ramp angle, Mojo has some. You will be in a slightly different position in the Mojos (fore-aft). However, if you don't like it, you can adjust the forward lean position of your boots to a more upright position to compensate.
    "I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."- Alan Greenspan

Quote Originally Posted by weasel1 View Post
    However, if you don't like it, you can adjust the forward lean position of your boots to a more upright position to compensate.
    Not exactly the same thing, kinematically speaking. I'd recommend shimming the toe piece. But, the OP probably won't notice much of a difference.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    Not exactly the same thing, kinematically speaking. I'd recommend shimming the toe piece. But, the OP probably won't notice much of a difference.
    Nope, it's not, but for the purpose, it would probably suffice. Note, I said "compensate"...heh heh...compensate.
    "I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."- Alan Greenspan

Quote Originally Posted by weasel1 View Post
    You will be in a slightly different position in the Mojos (fore-aft). However, if you don't like it, you can adjust the forward lean position of your boots to a more upright position to compensate.
    Thanks for this point and auvgeek's point about shimming the toe piece. When I skied the Katanas, I just felt like my technique had improved and they were just blowing through everything so smoothly on edge. No doubt the ski seriously rips, but perhaps also standing more upright played a role. I typically just click-in and go so I may have not given enough thought to fine tuning my set up with this in mind. I will dial back the forward lean in my boots to experiment, to see what difference if any I notice, and if this is one of the things I really liked about the demo.
    Thanks again, very helpful.