AK heli-- Chugach Powder Guides, Girdwood--TR

I'm not into the GoPro thing (yet) and only have a few pics but what the heck. CPG out of Alyeska/Girdwood, AK.

The trip was not inexpensive but I managed to raise a few dollars acting as a sherpa

"Hi five, honey...we're flying today!"

MSP was here at Spine Cell....amongst other places...

I dig the toe-in heli landing on these narrow peaks. Quite the rush to get out of the heli, stand on them, and then look down and around.....

Hoar layer allowed our guide to kick off this avalanche and I kicked off a smaller one as was expected. Everybody was safe but watching this from the top was surreal. It was as if it had a life of it's own and flowed like fast moving lava

CIRCLE skier for scale
    ARROWS crown

docile lines

CAT terrain had lots of small cliffs and pillow lines amongst the trees. The terrain that day (not in this photo) was reminiscent of Squaw's Alternates and Enchanted Forest.

raped hill

Poor photograph of some small cliffs and pillow lines we hit

"What has two thumbs and an annhilated left ACL?"

"THIS GUY!!!" I packed the knee in snow for 30 minutes which really helped take the edge off the pain.

Arrived Saturday and left Friday due my brand new torn ACL on Thursday afternoon at 4:00pm in the field.
    CPG flew Sun through Friday albeit I think they had to come back early on Friday due to bad weather. Tues was a no fly day but we Cat skied which was good untracked short technical lines. By Thurs I had accrued about 90,000 feet of vert and would have had more vert but I skied a pillow line to back seat to a hidden wind lip in flat light to buh-bye ACL. I read my MRI yesterday am seeing the ortho tomorrow.

My full review is here: http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...eli-Trip/page4

When you get the heli front seat it is not good news.

Last edited by Jim S; 12-06-2012 at 03:05 AM.
    Every man dies. Not every man lives.
    You don’t stop playing because you grow old; you grow old because you stop playing.

Wherever I went Cody kept stalking me

chute from top and bottom

Last edited by Jim S; 03-27-2012 at 01:17 PM.
    You don’t stop playing because you grow old; you grow old because you stop playing.

Great TR, thanks for sharing!

Nice realistic write up on CPG too.

I hope you recover quickly, but getting hurt heli skiing is the ONLY way to get hurt.

you could've torn it before you went, now CPG is crossed of your life's to do list

Nice TR. Heal up fast.
    I'm a cougar, not a MILF! I have to protect my rep! - bklyn

In any case, if you're ever really in this situation make sure you at least bargain in a couple of fluffers.
    -snowsprite

Heal up dude! Next time drop me a pm!
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

I too have had the unfortunate pleasure of the heli front seat. Nope. Not good news. Hope you heal up quick!

nice TR, vibes on the knee
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Hey Jim.....well congrats on getting so many fly days. You know better than anyone how that can go.

My buddies are at PNH right now (since Sat).....no fly yet. And one guy blew his knee yesterday hiking AJ peak yesterday. That is the worst of all worlds.

Really sorry to hear about the knee.....major bummer. Is this your first ACL? You going to "gimp central" to talk medical? Dont need to derail this thread, but curious about your decisions.
    Donjoy to the World!

Huckwheat,

I stay out of the gimp forum. It drives me crazy over there.

I tore my right ACL in 1999 and did the patella autograft. The rehab was brutal but it's the strongest graft there is and that graft has been fantastic. However, I'm going to be 49 next month and I'll probably take an easier route.This time I tore the left ACL.

Sorry for you pals. That's rough but the week isn't over yet.
    Last edited by Jim S; 03-27-2012 at 05:46 PM.

Thanks for a nice TR. ...

Heal up ASAP!

Good pics. At least you got the goods
    License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations

A solid tr, thanks for sharing. Hope you heal quickly.
    ‎"Powder snow skiing is not fun. It's life, fully lived, life lived in a blaze of reality." -Dolores LaChapelle

Quote Originally Posted by Jim S View Post
    I tore my right ACL in 1999 and did the patella autograft. The rehab was brutal but it's the strongest graft there is and that graft has been fantastic. However, I'm going to be 49 next month and I'll probably take an easier route.This time I tore the left ACL.
    So, allograft? Or like hammy auto?

I did allograft, in like '04. My rehab was actually easy.....hardest part was FORCING myself to take it very easy for a full 6 months (because I felt good). I can tell no difference in my two knees, and have continued to be fairly hard on them.
    --Not sure what I would/will do next time........guess I would go the same, as it seems to work (and I didnt have to harvest myself, so I can keep doing it).

G
    Donjoy to the World!

Beauty TR, balls about the knee. Maybe you needed PM Gear's instead
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    This is kinda like the goose that laid the golden egg, but shittier.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim S View Post
    Huckwheat,

I stay out of the gimp forum. It drives me crazy over there.

Sorry for you pals. That's rough but the week isn't over yet.
    Awesome TR and trip. Tough ending with the knee and good luck with the rehab. If that lady friend of yours is going to be around to ease the pain you should be just fine.

Good stuff.
    The Passion is in the Risk