Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Small Pickup help needed

Im looking at getting a small pickup, it seems with the gas $$ scare this should be a good time to pick one up.

looking for a 4x4, small truck thats good on gas for under 10k, 14k at most

tacomas (should i focus on the 1st or 2nd gen models?, how high on the mileage till i should be concerned?)
    Rangers (I heard these are made in the mazda factory and are pretty reliable....or should i avoid em?)
    Frontier (someone recommended this too me as a "poor mans tacoma")

Ive been looking on craigslist but the prices seem so outa wack as usual, tacomaworld, where else should i be looking?

I did find a 01 lifted taco with 174k for 8,000 but it seems high for a 10yr old truck or is this where the market is these days?

I have to have the truck insured in Mass and then am planning on driving it to bellingham to set up shop for abit so the truck needs to make it out there.

thanks for any tips guys

I have never owned a truck so cannot really comment other than these...

- Dont buy a mod'ed car (ie the lifted taco)
    - My buddy had his taco stolen and replaced it with a newer frontier. He hates the thing, no guts, tranny problems...
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    I have never owned a truck so cannot really comment other than these...

- Dont buy a mod'ed car (ie the lifted taco)
    - My buddy had his taco stolen and replaced it with a newer frontier. He hates the thing, no guts, tranny problems...
    nick, this is my first truck, are you suggesting avoiding a lifted truck on the basis that the lift was installed incorrectly?

My 2001 Ranger is a bomber truck but my work truck is a brand new f350 diesel crew cab and it gets better mileage. Not sure what it works out to MPG but i average 15L per 100km.
    I think any modern v8 fullsize gets better mileage than that...
    You dont stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing

I have an 07 Nissan Frontier, crew cab 4x4 with a manual. It kicks ass and cost me 2/3 for a comparable Toyota. It does everything a Tacoma can do, IMO better, and is cheaper. There you go. The older generations are a bit underpowered but bombproof VQ motors and less rust issues than comparable years Yotas. They did a massive recall on them, so Im wary of buying one for that very reason.

Unfortunately the market is pretty high these days, so for this reason I would look long and hard at a Ford Ranger. My Pops just picked up an 03, with 76k, 4x4 extended cab for 4500 bucks. Interior was pretty beat but thats a way better deal than you will find on any Toyota. Bonus, the Ranger will be the cheapest, and easiest to repair.

10-14K should get you a nice late model, low milage (20-40k) 4x4 Ranger that will last you decades. It will get you a 80-90k Frontier if you look hard enough, and will get you a 10 year old, 150-175k Toyota Tacoma Personally I think you're still putting plenty of work into Toyota's to get them to last much longer than 200k, and would go for the Nissan or Ranger. Unfortunately the used market is pretty insane right now. I bought my truck with 13k miles 3 years ago for 21k, and it blue books now with 60k miles for 20k.

All have similar capabilities for a midsize. Towing capacity, payloads, etc are all within 5-10%, so Id make the decision on affordability, and Nissan and Ford win this battle.
    Live Free or Die

They had deep discounts (6600$) so I bought a 2010 ranger for only 19K brand new, then i found a used cap for 200$, the same thing in a Taco would have been 32K toyo's are nice if you can justify the $$ you are paying ...i can't

It gets about 25mpg imperial gal , other than the sat radio packing it in I have had zero problems, its a pretty low tech truck the 4.0 liter only gets 200hp but it is all I need and it is just so funking cheap to buy/own/run

We did some field work in a buddies canyonero, she had a bunch of problems with a brand new truck ... I would stay away

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    We did some field work in a buddies canyonero, she had a bunch of problems with a brand new truck ... I would stay away
    Obligatory:

she had to have the door seals repalced, she came out in the am and the battery is dead, a shitty stock tire blew out on a forestry road ...this is a brand new truck

The Canyonero bed is only 5.5 which is pretty fcuking short and pretty unusual so you gotta buy a brand new cap whereas there are literally a million used caps out there for cheap sitting in some ones yard that will fit a rangers/mazda,

In an admittedly unscientific study (counting pickups on a roadtrip), I determined that only 1% of the time will you have anything in the bed of your truck that could *not* be carried by a similar sedan/wagon that gets far better MPG.

Secondly, only the 2wd trucks get good mileage, 4x4s get crap mileage even in 2wd.

Lastly, nearly all truck beds suck. If you can't fit an 4x8' piece of plywood in its bed with the gate up, it's not a truck, it's a truck-like object - basically a useless toy.

Therefore, consider an AWD wagon with a hitch and an 4x8' trailer. Far cheaper in the long run, more versatile, and more fun to drive for 95% of people.

Exceptions are if you actually will be carrying things in the bed 100% of the time or if you need the ground clearance.

^^^Why do dipshits like you have to pop into every truck thread on the internet?^^^

Towing and storing a trailer sucks.

If a small truck fits my use then its not useless and yeah the GC is a big thing but small trucks are pretty much dead for a reason

Yearly American sales
    Calendar Year Total American sales
    1999[31] 348,358
    2000 330,125
    2001[32] 272,460
    2002[33] 226,094
    2003 209,117
    2004[34] 156,322
    2005 120,958
    2006[35] 92,420
    2007 72,711
    2008[36] 65,872
    2009[37] 55,600
    2010[38] 55,364

^^^the sales figures for the Ranger in N.A.

In spite of every body lamenting the passing of "the small pu truck" what they really mean is "I want a 199x toyota with a diesel engine " but the sales figures show the market has been declining for some the ranger has gone "Sunset" the small toyo is now midsized i don't think you can buy a new small PU in N.A.

I read somewhere that nissan may be planning to release a new mini truck to the NA market. I'll try to find where I saw that
    ::.:..::::.::.:.::..::.

Rangers (I heard these are made in the mazda factory and are pretty reliable....or should i avoid em?)
    Other way around. Mazda trucks are made in the Ranger factory. I had a '98 2wd for a few years. They haven't changed much.

Reasonably reliable and cheap to fix. I went through some ball joints and a few upper control arms a little faster than I would have liked.

If you're buying a small ranger to save fuel you may as well get a full size.

Not sure about the Frontiers but the Xterra's are known to chew through their automatic transmissions.

Quote Originally Posted by lookinback View Post
    nick, this is my first truck, are you suggesting avoiding a lifted truck on the basis that the lift was installed incorrectly?
    Lifting a truck involves steeper drive-line angles which increases ownership costs over time (and perhaps sooner rather than later on a used vehicle). Also, lifted trucks handle worse (especially if you need to drive for miles on snow and ice to get to the ski area). Also, in the event of a slide they roll over more readily. Yes, driver skill is more important but it's nice to have a more capable vehicle to begin with no matter how good your driving skills.

I have a 2010 F-150 4x4 which is actually pretty good in the snow (for a truck) but it sucks compared to my FWD Volvo (and the truck is not even lifted beyond the higher ride that comes with the 4x4 models). I get to the skiing feeling much more rested in the 12 year old Volvo and it gets much better mileage and has a higher safe cruising speed on slippery surfaces (or any surface for that matter).

There is alot of good information in this thread guys, keep it coming!

I do a lot of shuttling so having a pickup to haul bikes/people up is beneficial over a wagon. I also have a dirtbike and a modded moped that I need to transport from time to time so the pick-up seems to make more sense. I use the ped which is freshly street legal for around the town errands and such. But heh I would be open to an AWD wagon with very high clearance.

I drove a ranger today and didnt mind it but I can see what you guys mean about the crappy gas mileage on them. Is there a year I should aim for? that 2010 for 6k seems right up my ally, was that a private sale or through a dealership?
    Last edited by lookinback; 03-26-2012 at 05:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by vanisle View Post
    My 2001 Ranger is a bomber truck but my work truck is a brand new f350 diesel crew cab and it gets better mileage. Not sure what it works out to MPG but i average 15L per 100km.
    I think any modern v8 fullsize gets better mileage than that...
    My F150 gets about 13L per 100km with it's 5.4L V8 in the city. 12L/100km on the highway.
    It doesn't matter if you're a king or a little street sweeper...
    ...sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
    -Death

Quote Originally Posted by St. Jerry View Post
    The other morning I was awoken to "Daddy, my fart fell on the floor"
    Kaz is my co-pilot

I would love to offer some advice but I've never owned/driven the Frontier or Ranger. I love my Taco but resale prices currently are not reasonable.

Frontiers seem like decent trucks. I steered away from Rangers due to they use torsion bar suspension. I'm on my 2nd Taco now, great trucks. Been more than a couple feet off the ground in it too and drove it home.

Quote Originally Posted by lookinback View Post

I drove a ranger today and didnt mind it but I can see what you guys mean about the crappy gas mileage on them. Is there a year I should aim for? that 2010 for 6k seems right up my ally, was that a private sale or through a dealership?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Ra...rth_America%29

anytime you are looking at any vehical Wiki gives you a lot of info about 1st/ 2nd/ 3rd generation of a car or truck model, how each was equiped, how many were made and sometimes if they are any good

there are better trucks but I bought the ranger because I could get a brand new 4x4 truck with a better than average rep for only 19k which was gona work fine for me for the next 10-15 yrs ... pretty damn cheap

edit: if you think the ranger would work look for a mazda or ranger 4.0 with low miles over a taco with a lift kit and about a million miles on the clock
    Last edited by XXX-er; 03-27-2012 at 11:23 AM.

I bought an 04 Tacoma 4x4 last year and love it. Its the 4cyl version and gets about 21-23mpg on highway and not much lower in town(its been running synthetic oil from the start which may have something to do with my high MPG). Its got plenty of power for my needs (to the dump, rallying back roads, passing the occasional bus when heading up to the local ski hill.)

It was spendy though. It had 39K on it last year when I bought it for 16k. But having always driven toyota trucks I anticipate this one to be around for some time and think it will end up being my kids first car in 11 years. Many of my friends drive taco's and most of them have 220k+.

2nd on taco 4cyl
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    If a small truck fits my use then its not useless and yeah the GC is a big thing but small trucks are pretty much dead for a reason

Yearly American sales
    Calendar Year Total American sales
    1999[31] 348,358
    2000 330,125
    2001[32] 272,460
    2002[33] 226,094
    2003 209,117
    2004[34] 156,322
    2005 120,958
    2006[35] 92,420
    2007 72,711
    2008[36] 65,872
    2009[37] 55,600
    2010[38] 55,364

^^^the sales figures for the Ranger in N.A.

In spite of every body lamenting the passing of "the small pu truck" what they really mean is "I want a 199x toyota with a diesel engine " but the sales figures show the market has been declining for some the ranger has gone "Sunset" the small toyo is now midsized i don't think you can buy a new small PU in N.A.
    Maybe they are dead because nobody makes a good one. I miss my old Toyota short bed 4x4 (81)--and my son is still driving an 87 4runner which is the same thing.

I'll always be a truck guy.

1993 4x4 4 cyl toyota truck (before they called it a Tacoma) 17 mpg good truck.

2001 Ford F250 Powerstroke. Hauls and tows anything and you barely feel its loaded. Damn that was a fun truck. Too big for parking or driving around San Francisco. Shitty driving in snow. Diesel mileage 11.5 mpg. Did I mention it was a fun truck?

2008 Ford Ranger. 2x4 . I swear it got 30 mpg. That little 4 banger has been around forever and got all the bugs worked out. Zero luxury but its a truck. CHEAP!

2011 Tacoma 4x4. 4 cyl. 19mpg all around. Feels like a luxury car compared to my Ranger. Too new to comment on durability. I wouldn't call it a small truck. Bigger than a compact and not quite a full size. Disappointed with the gas mileage.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Maybe they are dead because nobody makes a good one. I miss my old Toyota short bed 4x4 (81)--and my son is still driving an 87 4runner which is the same thing.

You realize that was last century but then what can we expect from someone named "old goat"?

I had a 1990 4runer and it broke down just like any other vehical, so I drank the toyo cool-aid just like everyone else, IME I would dump any toyo before it hit 300,000kms

I think toyo is now making a midsized PU's as opposed to a small truck for marketing reasons yes you can always find someone in these threads who longs for the good old days but is the north american public gona buy these old dogs which translates to big sales for toyo ...they obviously think not

I've got a 2001 Mazda B4000 (4 litre Ford Ranger) extended cab. Does the job fine but if I upgrade I'll definitely look for a truck that has a proper crew cab. The rear facing seats in the ranger/mazda are pretty awkward for adults. If you don't have the need to haul a sled or other long heavy items, it could be worth considering a truck with a shorter bed but with the full seating capacity of a crew cab, e.g. Nissan frontier crew cab with 5' box or Ford explorer sport track (think the bed is about 4.5 foot so might be a tad short). Also, I don't know anything about them but could be worth checking out mileage etc. for Honda ridgeline.

Also the mileage you get from most compact / midsize trucks isn't that much better than the more modern full size trucks, so subject to the size of your parking spot you could just go full size.