Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Tecnica Bodacious Tech sole fail!

Hey guys just wondering if any of you have seen anything like this on the newer tecnica Side country boots.

A little background I work as a patroller and have the bodaciouses (so no walk mode) but wanted to be able to take my alpine boots in my dynafits for work on days that a back country rescue is possible and don't want to have to switch boots. I am 195 LBS and ski hard but have only skied these tech soles 5 or so times 2 work days on mellow groomers and a few 1 to 2 lap corn days in the Alta side country.

What is going on the bodacious tech inserts seem to slip when I pressure them and the binding then opens. No sole is touching the binding but the fitting seems to be deforming allowing the binding to slip out.
    Here are pics one of my Bodacious inserts(white and yellow) and comparatively one of my dalbello Virus inserts (green)

I also made a video comparing the two boots Bodacious vs virus (virus works perfectly) and how easy it is to make the insert slip with just hand pressure.

Thanks for your input
    People who live in Grass houses shouldn't get stoned ~Michner

I'm having the exact same problem with the 2011/2012 Cochise. In my case, one of the outside toes pops open on firm snow, while in (unlocked) ski mode. The only way to ensure that my skis stay on is to lock the toe. Bindings are Vertical STs, properly installed with correct heel spacing. All tech fitting points are clear of snow / dirt / etc when this happens.

I had exactly this problem with a pair of Garmonts a few years ago. They warrantied the boot shells.

Quote Originally Posted by hardkorps View Post
    What is going on the bodacious tech inserts seem to slip when I pressure them and the binding then opens. No sole is touching the binding but the fitting seems to be deforming allowing the binding to slip out.
    Yep. Over here in Japan a local shop owner had a pair returned with that problem. The boot owner could not even skate on flats to the lift without coming out. Not wanting to start Tech Insert Panic 2, I gently asked about it here on TGR a while ago, but no replies then.
    Life is not lift served.

Yeah I can stay in if I lock the toe as well but don't want to have to do that all the time and it seems like it's just a matter of time before it gets bad enough that even locking won't hold it. If you compare the pics the Tecnica inserts are forming a "groove" on the top where the failure seems to happen and the Dalbellos are not.

The fittings on my Cochise appear to be more oval in shape when compared to the fittings on an old pair of radiums that I have. Is the assumption that the metal is too soft, and getting distorted / warped after skiing them, or is the assumption that the fittings themselves have in improper shape out of the box brand new?

For me this is a key distinction, the boots are going back to Technica either way, but a new set of tech soles might allow for me to finish the season with these boots.

Same thing happened to quite a few spirit 3's. Bad heat treatment was the likely culprit.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using TGR Forums
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

Looks like the metal is too soft to me, and is just wearing a taper at the top of the insert. Also looks like Tecnica has a larger radius on the lip of the socket (or the pins go deeper into the Virus insert), which probably speeds up the effects of the wear.
    Last edited by 1000-oaks; 03-26-2012 at 10:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bobsdesk View Post
    The fittings on my Cochise appear to be more oval in shape when compared to the fittings on an old pair of radiums that I have. Is the assumption that the metal is too soft, and getting distorted / warped after skiing them, or is the assumption that the fittings themselves have in improper shape out of the box brand new?

For me this is a key distinction, the boots are going back to Technica either way, but a new set of tech soles might allow for me to finish the season with these boots.
    That is what I was thinking, The fittings seem too big which maybe allows the metal (softer or Not) to develop the groove that is pushing the binding out of the fitting. Personally I wouldn't trust another set of soles to last more than 3 days unless they have already noticed this and fixed it.

That sucks. I was looking into next years Cochise as a full time boot and this scares me. Maybe if enough people return their boots they will modify the insert holes. How can they fail on what should be the simplest and most critical part of a tech boot. I wonder what percentage of these are like this and if this due to the use of substandard materials or a quality control issue.
    License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations

I was under the impression that the specs for the Tecnica tech fittings came straight from dynafit, since tecnica builds all their boots. Interesting/

AFAIK, tecnica does not make dynafit boots.
    Salewa/dynafit has its own boot production facility, in co-share (with different designer and management) with Fischer boots. Dynafit skis are made by blizzard, but this is a different story.

Well, no response in 48 hours from Technica. Anyone have a good email for them? My boots will go back to the retailer today, they'll likely tell me that they can't find a problem (ie, not a return or warranty situation), and that's when this will get interesting.

I'm not interested in owning the Cochise if I can't run them in tech bindings...

^^^ this does not please me.
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

tech bindings are gay

Took my boots into the retailer who sold them, they took a look at the boots in the bindings, confirmed that they couldn't find an issue. They gave me a new set of tech soles, which is greatly appreciated. Props to them for their service.

Hardkorps - the brand new tech fittings definitely look less "beat up" than my used soles, but I can't say if the used soles are deformed or not...it's impossible to know. I did take a good look at the Dynafit boot soles, the Dynafit fittings sure do look less "oval" than the technica fittings...

So, now I'm either going to keep skiing these with the toes locked out, or purchase new boots next year for another $650. I don't think I can plan on skiing with the Cochise unlocked.

And yes, tech bindings are gay.

Are there not specs in the original patent that discuss exactly how much force it must withstand and what alloys the fittings are made with?
    That is a fucking law suit waiting to happen.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Tecnica is NOT manufacuring any of the Dyanfit boots and the "tech" fittings they use are NOT supplied by Dynafit.

The Standard (old) dynafit fittings are offered to any boots company which could be interesting in buying them. At the moment ONLY Scarpa (and Dynafit of course) is using 100% fittings supplied by Dynafit and is the only company which has the exclusive use of the "quick step-in" inserts.

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    I was under the impression that the specs for the Tecnica tech fittings came straight from dynafit, since tecnica builds all their boots. Interesting/

The patent is expired and for safety and as well to have ski boots around build using fitting matching with the Dynafit bindings it was decided long ago that ALL the specifications needed to build the fittings in the correct way are officially pubblished at TUV and can be obtained by anybody asking for it.
    Just it's not an easy part to manufacture as it looks like...

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Are there not specs in the original patent that discuss exactly how much force it must withstand and what alloys the fittings are made with?
    That is a fucking law suit waiting to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Federico View Post
    Tecnica is NOT manufacuring any of the Dyanfit boots and the "tech" fittings they use are NOT supplied by Dynafit.

The Standard (old) dynafit fittings are offered to any boots company which could be interesting in buying them. At the moment ONLY Scarpa (and Dynafit of course) is using 100% fittings supplied by Dynafit and is the only company which has the exclusive use of the "quick step-in" inserts.
    Thanks for the clarification.

It is pretty obvious that the fittings are different when comparing a dynafit made fitting to the Tecnica one. Slightly wider and more rounded in appearance it seems. That being said Dalbello seems to have gotten it right not being supplied by dynafit. I have skied 20- 30 days up and down on the viruses and they still seem to be holding perfectly, Tecnia 5 days and fitting is deforming.

Quote Originally Posted by hardkorps View Post
    It is pretty obvious that the fittings are different when comparing a dynafit made fitting to the Tecnica one. Slightly wider and more rounded in appearance it seems. That being said Dalbello seems to have gotten it right not being supplied by dynafit. I have skied 20- 30 days up and down on the viruses and they still seem to be holding perfectly, Tecnia 5 days and fitting is deforming.
    As has black diamond. They build their own too. Not sourced.

I have the same boots as you (bodacious and virus) and have had the same problem as you.

Just done the same test as you did in the video and got the same results. Only diference is I am using a radical ft binding, not the traditional ft binding.

This is disheartening, I bought these primarily due to Lou Dawson's bench test where he ripped the dynafit toe out of the bench it was screwed into before the boot fitting even had a chance to fail. Based on this I thought those are the fittings for me with not wanting to take anymore chances and lou revealing the solly quest weaknesses with the same test, after my untimely ejection from their fittings. Definitely giving tecnica a call.

I hope BD does not have this issue, just picked up some Primes. So many moving parts to worry about with tech binders, I wonder is it worth it? It could be you next....
    Last edited by thin cover; 03-29-2012 at 10:14 AM.

This has me concerned also. Curious what Tecnica has to say.