Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    rep told me that most of the people he talked to skied the set up with the bindings clicked up once. While i get that for charging in alpine boots in dynafits I still don't like the idea of my boots only working in the dynafits if they are locked out even if it is just one click. Everything i've read and experienced about the binding is that you shouldn't have to lock them out skiing normally. The only time i've locked them skiing is when I have been above a no fall zone where losing a ski is not an option.
    People who live in Grass houses shouldn't get stoned ~Michner

The tecnica toe (socket and plastic bit) look a lot more rounded then squared off then the titans.
    The back part of the fitting looks like it's making ok contact, but the angle is causing the front half to make less contact.
    When life gives you haters, make haterade.

Quote Originally Posted by hardkorps View Post
    rep told me that most of the people he talked to skied the set up with the bindings clicked up once.
    Maybe the people HE has talked to. I doubt that holds true for the general dynafiddle crowd.
    when you really, really need to slap someone, just do it, and then yell, "Mosquito!"

Exactly garbanzo!

Hardkorps - do you know where Technica is at in determining a specific issue with the fittings?

I've emailed them and expressed my concerns about the fittings, as well as my motivation to keep using the boots, but have not heard back. The boots are some of the best I've owned and don't want to give them up...unless locking the toe is the only option, at which point the boot isn't viable for me.

Bobsdesk
    I'm not sure where they are at. After I handed back the test skis and my soles the rep told me they appreciated my feed back and will continue to look into it. Pretty sure this is the first they have heard of the issue Because possibly their athlete testers have been skiing locked out. Hopefully they address this as soon as possible. Not a huge issue for me cause I can still just ski my bodacious in alpine bindings. But I'd still love to throw them in the dynafits from time to time.

If that's true that their testers only skied locked out or partially locked out that's a bit ridiculous as that's not how a large portion of skiers use dynafits.

^^^ agreed.

this boot skis great, but i need to be able to use the tech fittings as well as the alpine sole blocks.

Tecnica?

In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

Regardless of what testing Technica did or did not do, I don't expect them to rush into judgement on the issue. If they acknowledge there's an issue with 3-4 sets of fittings, then they have to acknowledge that everything from that batch is also faulty.

The trouble for me is that I'm seeing a very clear pre-release with multiple sets of fittings on different skis, all mounted properly in unlocked ski mode. Retailer who sold the boots confirms the bindings are mounted correctly, but can't find the pre-release issue.

If you control for all of those variations, literally the only thing left is the boot...unless the retailer who sold the boots is incorrect (doubtful based on the similar experience of hardkorps in my opinion).

Wow, just seeing this thread. I've got Cochises and skied them several days this year on two pair of Dynafit-mounted skis (S3 and Bent Chetler) mostly at the resort, with a few short tours. No problems with slop or pre-release at all, and didn't ski locked out either. Charged as hard as I wanted in some bumpy / less-than-ideal conditions too.

Still, I haven't been paying attention to the shape/condition of the fittings... I'll check them when I get home.

Definitely interested in how this turns out for people.

I am assuming it is too late to fix this issue going into next year? I know they could release alternate soles, but I was looking at the Cochise Pros and Dynafits for my go to bc set up next year, and now I'm unsure if I want to risk the inconvenience of having this happen to me. Hopefully they resolve this issue or I might have to do some quiver swapping to make room for a pair of skis with Guardians/Dukes to go with my alpine boots.

just curious if anyone other than the 2 folks in this thread have the same issue?

none here... probably 40 days on plums between 2 different boots (cochise last year + cochise pro this year), including a few inbounds (shame on me!) over x-mas when my brother-in-law was on my alpine gear.

hardkorps, i am in cottonwood/lcc too, i can offer my toes to try in your binding too, since they have no issue on my plums... interested to compare. they are for sure off a different production run (the black/white aftermarkets), i am curious if that matters at all. pm me if you want to try and connect.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

Marshal, just curious - do you lock the toes on your Plums?

FWIW, I probably have 10 days on my Cochise/Plum combo (stock tech inserts) with no problems. No falls tho.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Marshal, I am having the same problem on my RIGHT boot, with the grey Bodacious blocks on a Radical 12 binding. No problems on same ski with a Dalbello Virus.

Per 1000 Oaks I am posting here to report that my toes prerelease like crazy from my Cochise 2012/Plum setup unless I lock the toes out. I thought perhaps it was the Plums as I have always used Dynafits but it is more likely the boot.
    License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    that is my assessment of the design. It can probably be fixed (and the warranty voided) with a drill.
    Agreed, but (assuming there enough metal at the bottom of the socket) drill too deep and the boot may be trapped in the pincers even when unlocked no matter how light the pincer spring tension. Socket depth is a critical dimension and absolutely affects retention & release values. IMHO the sockets should be shaped for greater retention during vertical loading (square edges top & bottom), and less retention during horizontal twisting loads (slightly beveled edges on sides).

has anyone measured the socket depth prior to postulating that is the issue?
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

Video & photos seem to show the problem pretty well, though I admit I haven't seen them in person. Socket depth is only part of the issue, radius of socket lip (too big) and profile of socket face (a lot of cut-away) also play a big role.

Instead of socket depth, a more relevant measurement would be "surface area of load-bearing contact points that are perpendicular to downward force". Dynafit toe inserts have some of this primary load-bearing area, while the Tecnica insets appear to have much less or none, and are relying on pincer spring tension to offset the wedging force of the radiused (or worn) socket lip against the 45 degree tip of the pincer pins.
    Last edited by 1000-oaks; 05-09-2012 at 03:31 PM.

Here's another skier with the same problem.

I had my Cochise all winter skiing on Dukes at work - probably about 100 days on them, zero in dynafit bindings - great boot. Hopefully this can be worked out, as I was really looking forward to one boot to rule them all. Locking out toe release is not an acceptable solution.

Took them out this week and the first run down, went down hard and scared myself when the RIGHT (again? seems to be a trend...) boot blew out of the binding (Vertical FT). Never had a problem before in Scarpa Lasers or my Dynafit Zzeros. In retrospect, I had noticed a clicking feel/sound when I first stepped into the binding at the top of the run.

Data points:
    -Boot was purchased January 2012 from telemark-pyrenees.com (ie European stock)
    -I am 225Lbs, ski at DIN 9 on those bindings
    -tech fittings had about 3000' vertical of up, and 1500' of down before they failed dramatically.
    -released once more on ski out, figured out to lock toes, and made it to the bottom. My fittings look like the pic in the OP, and the video is exactly what happens on the bench.
    -binding setup was checked before and after.
    -This was the first run these boots had ever made in tech bindings.

I'm also seeing this ONLY with the right boot. I've tried, but can't repeat the release on the left boot.

Gman is offline Mack Master William Large
    Hopefully these are just isolated cases, or at the very least, Tecnica is proactive about fixing the issues rather then waiting for some big accidents to happen.

No issues with my Cochise. Probably 10 days on the tech fittings in Dyna FT12s. Have only skied them unlocked, locked while skinning. Multiple days smashing into hard wind drifts in pea-soup conditions. No pre releases to report.

I originally got a failure on the left boot as well. Although it was not as pronounced and took longer to present it's self. The other soles I tested from the rep were not in possesion long enough for me to get a failure on the left but got the right boot to fail right away.
    That being said the rep assures me tecnica is working on this although I have not heard any feedback positive or negative from them.
    They did go as far as request my set up to bring to italy and test there as they could not repeat it on any of their equipment.
    Love these boots hope they figure it out!

Just to throw gas on the fire... my heel fittings are getting a bit worn after about 20-25 days use (factory fitted on Euro-model Bodacious).

I'd noticed a bit of clicking at the heels since about day 5 but assumed this was play in the Plums' pins - there is very slight vertical play in them, but this hasn't concerned me much and I don't want to overtighten the top plate screws for fear of stripping the plastic of the Plum heel block. On closer inspection last night with the boot in the binding at home, there was significantly more vertical play in the setup that I expected. Turns out the heel fittings are getting worn at the top where the pins rest - there's two noticeable grooves forming, causing 0.5-1mm vertical play. Soft metal for sure.

Anyone else? Tecnica, I really like the product but I hope you can address this.

For the record: this hasn't caused any problems when skiing whatsoever, I've just noticed it when I'm on the chair or pop an air, and now at home when looking more closely. I have always skied my Plums with the toe lever one click up, have taken one real fall (on about day 10 of use) and the ski that was stressed released correctly. No pre-releases.

Kinda spooky that the right boot, right (outside) tech fitting is having the majority of the issues. Wonder why, as, from what I understand, the L and R tech fittings from the same boot should be exactly the same, sourced from the same metal.

Just out of curiousity: Anyone had problems with the left boot, right (inside) tech fitting?