Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

School me on Baby Trailers/Strollers/Joggers...

So were in the market for a bike trailer for the little guy. (Yeah, yeah, sprocket rockets, jong...) Anyway, in our initial discussions, we were pretty sure that we'd never use it for jogging (fried knees), so a straight up bike trailer seemed like the way to go. Then my very astute wife brought up the point "What if we went on a trip? are we going to want to take both a trailer and a stroller?" That changed the equation quite a bit and I think she's right, but before we pulled the trigger she suggested I ask the maggot collective. We know that somebody else has tackled this question. So what do you have for me? Thoughts? Brands? Did you guys/girls buy the convertible ones? What features did you like? Which ones were a waste of $$? How did they work for you? Any and all info appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
    This is the worst pain EVER!

I don't have a lot of experience with different models, but we have the Chariot Cougar. And we just started using it as a bike trailer (kid just turned 1 and it just got warm), so I don't have a lot of experience. But I can say it is super well designed. It works as a stroller in that it rolls well, but it well never replace a regular stroller (5 point harness is overkill for a stroll to the store, plus it is huge). We never used the jogging attachment or the xc ski attachment, but that is definitely a selling point. It is fucking expensive, though, and every attachment is extra, even the ones to use it as a stroller. It is also large, so if you're thinking about traveling with it, you'll want to consider that. It doesn't fold very small. Lots of storage in it, so it's easy to take stuff with you.

We're happy with it, but like I said, we don't have a lot of bike trailer experience or experience with other trailers.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

We mulled this over for quite sometime. Ended up getting The Bob stroller and a seperate bike trailer. The bike trailer converts to a stroller, but we never used it. The Bob is nice if you like jogging. We ended up getting the double bob when we had our second. Also, the resell on these things is damn near retail.

Sidenote: The Bob (at least the version we have) sets off the bomb detectors at airports, so we've had to deal w/that a few times. No biggie, but it did add a little time. Not sure if that is an issue anymore.
    “I mean god damn, who could believe that shit.” Greg Noll, Riding Giants

I've pushed a bunch of different strollers. Mrs. Cruiser is a stroller fan. Did you know they have forums devoted to strollers? Anyway, the Bugaboo brand strollers are really the finest mass market ones available right now. If you're looking for a stroller go with a Bugaboo and then be done with it. We've owned a couple of different bike trailers too. The chariot that Danno mentioned is about the best on the market and it holds it's value well too if you want to sell it later.

We've traveled quite a lot with our 3 boys and our strollers and I can tell you that I sure as hell wouldn't want to take a jogger on a plane. The airport is hard enough with kids. You sure don't need to lug a giant stroller around too. If I were you I'd get a trailer for the bike and then a basic Mclaren umbrella stroller for traveling or a nice Bugaboo for everyday use.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using TGR Forums
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

The other thing to realize is that you really can't make do with just one. The umbrella strollers (we have a McLaren too and I like it a lot) don't work for newborns and small infants, you need a "full size" (don't know the correct term) stroller, one that has a bassinet attachment and (preferably) a way to attach the car seat. But those strollers are seriously bulky, harder to fit in the car or to travel with, so at this point, we never use it and are selling it (we have an Uppababy, very nice), and are going to use the McLaren full time (with the chariot as a backup).

Yes, one could get away with one, but if you have more than one pair of skis, you'll "need" more than one stroller.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Danno-
    Shoot me a list of stuff you guys are looking to get rid of.
    We have 2! comin' in July.

For strollers, get one with the big bike-like wheels (the joggers I guess). You can take your kid hiking over a fairly shitty trail and your child will have a pretty smooth ride. Going over the same terrain with normal stroller wheels is a pretty tough ride for the kid. You can still use the same stroller anywhere else. The strollers with a front wheel that turns are probably nicer but were out of my price range at the time so we bought one with a static front wheel and it seemed to work great. A nice stroller WILL allow you to do more cool things with your kid.

I have had both nice strollers and joggers. I see no reason to even bother with a regular stroller. The jogger will do the job of both.

Go separate all the way. Regular jogger stroller and then a bike specific one. I've come to know way more about these damn things than I ever thought possible.

Your wife is a jong...though she does have the good sense to ask maggots about baby strollers. My kid did alright playing disk golf in the bob, good shocks and neck support. For skiing I just hog tied him to a cheap Walmart sled. Biking in the backpack, never had to dive off the road, not sure a trailer would help there.
    We build statues out of snow, and weep to see them melt...

My opinion is Chariot Cougar is the way.
    --If no running, just buy the stroller wheels (they swivel instead of straight line running wheel.
    --The chariot is awesome for biking (leaf springs, comfortable for kids, even if they are wearing a helmet).
    --Can do the XC ski attachments.
    --Has a full on rain/snow cover....can go out in any weather.
    --Can put things in for Infant, toddler, or big kid (I am currently pulling my 4.5 year old, almost 50 lbs, and he hasnt outgrown yet.....probably another year).

The downfall....thing is huge......Bob's fold up more easily if you really want to take on planes and such.

We did Chariot, and it meets 90% of our needs.....then we have a cheap ass umbrella stroller (travel, and sometimes a store or something).
    Donjoy to the World!

baby specific back packs were great for hiking or even shopping in the food store in a store I would forget they are back there ...until I got too close to a shelf and they start pulling shit off

up here in small town everyone is into one brand its not unusual to see 6 of them parked at a music fest because thats what the LBS stocks, I think its BOB

FWIW, my $.02:

- BOB is only good for jogging, but it's the best for that. If you jog a lot, a BOB is probably worth it.
    - Chariot is great as a bike trailer and a walking stroller for when you want something with suspension and a smooth ride (i.e. hiking, dirt road, walking across a lot of grass at the park). Doubles as a jogger (with an attachment), but it's not quite as comfortable to jog with as the BOB.
    - You'll also want a smaller, folding stroller to keep in the car/take on planes because the BOB and the Chariot are huge, even when folded. A simple $20 umbrella stroller will work, but a Mclaren or Cybex is much more comfortable for the kid, better built, more pockets (and much, much more expensive).
    - When the kid's an infant, you'll need a carseat/stroller combo. That will be all you use until they're 6 months or so (at the earliest).

Hope that's helpful...
    Outlive the bastards - Ed Abbey

Janky folding one for the airport or travel that is stored in the car. Backpack for everything else. Our BOB has been used once but we can't really walk anywhere from home.

Xtra if you want a free stroller check my gear swap threads and you can have that Kelty one for a sixer. Although with twins you might be screwed as those ones are obscenely huge.
    Last edited by concretejungle; 03-25-2012 at 04:02 PM.

1. you don't NEED anything, don't buy into that crap.

2. We have a 05 chariot we picked up for $150 with the bike only. We added stroller wheels, Skis, and jogger. It rocks. We've put many miles on it since ours was 3 months old. Including a couple hut trips. We don't have an umbrella, but most of the trips we have taken were to visit folks that did... On the chariot we really liked the infant sling. Turns out your not supposed to use it with the bike attachment. We found that out after probably 500+ miles of road/commute rides. So we kept doing it. Also, if you live somewhere cold, the bunting insert rocks.

3. Anything you end up with you'll make work. Just do what your budget allows and have fun with the little one!

I saw recently, an ordinary large-wheeled, 2-seat jogger some had slightly converted to pull backwards behind a bike. I couldn't get too good of a look at it, but it looked like they had engineered the whole bike hitch. This one looked like an aluminum U-frame that went on both sides of the wheel and attached to the bike tubes, and then what looked like an aluminum ski-pole bent in a fairly graceful curve to meet up with the stroller handle. I couldn't see what they had for a coupler to the handle-bar of the jogger, but I did see that they had two safety-cables hooked up loosely to cut down on surprises. It seemed like a well-engineered piece of garage-built ingenuity...not some lame-brained botch-up.

It was a nifty idea...and seemed to work well for them. Two kids in it, facing backwards.

Took care of two birds with one stone...er...stroller.

--

EDIT: I DID notice that their system angled the front wheel off the ground...evidently to make rounding corners easier...otherwise the turning ratio would be very large. I guess one could take the front wheel off, but then the front-wheel frame would still be there...so their system answered that problem nicely.
    Last edited by Alaskan Rover; 03-25-2012 at 12:52 PM.
    "The reason death sticks so closely to life isn't biological necessity - it's envy. Life is so beautiful that death has fallen in love with it; a jealous, possesive love that grabs at what it can." by Yann Martel from Life of Pi

Posted by DJSapp:
    "Squirrels are rats with good PR."

Quote Originally Posted by Tele'ndaboat View Post
    1. you don't NEED anything, don't buy into that crap.

2. We have a 05 chariot we picked up for $150 with the bike only. We added stroller wheels, Skis, and jogger. It rocks. We've put many miles on it since ours was 3 months old. Including a couple hut trips. We don't have an umbrella, but most of the trips we have taken were to visit folks that did... On the chariot we really liked the infant sling. Turns out your not supposed to use it with the bike attachment. We found that out after probably 500+ miles of road/commute rides. So we kept doing it. Also, if you live somewhere cold, the bunting insert rocks.

3. Anything you end up with you'll make work. Just do what your budget allows and have fun with the little one!
    It's not so much that the infant sling shouldn't be used with the bike attachment, it's that most recommend that you not put your kid in a bike trailer until they are 1 year.

I do agree with wants and needs, it's just like other gear choices in many ways. However, because a kid is at issue, some things become more "need" if you plan to do stuff with your kid. Biking, for example, you could rig something up on the cheap that works, but do you really want to risk that with the kid at stake?

I suppose where the OP lives is important, too, and what he drives. I can't imagine using the chariot as my primary stroller, it simply wouldn't work for us, because it won't fit in both of our vehicles (fits in mine, not hers) making simple shopping trips or outings difficult. And we also live in a neighborhood where we walk to a lot of things and having a usable stroller (chariot, bob, whatever) is important, but if you're like concretejungle, it may not be as important.

For my situation, I came to the same conclusions as pegleg (other than the jogging part; I have the chariot attachment, but haven't used it, because I hate jogging even though I say I am going to do it more often).

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Rover View Post
    I saw recently, an ordinary large-wheeled, 2-seat jogger some had slightly converted to pull backwards behind a bike. (Etc.)
    Good for this person, I suppose, but that seems like a big risk to be taking with your kid's safety unless you really know what you're doing. You can get going pretty fast without realizing it with a trailer behind your bike, and it's not hard to flip one if something unexpected happens (like some asshole on the wrong side of the bike path around a blind corner - not that that's ever happened to me...). The Chariots are built to handle that, with 5-point harnesses, a roll-cage design, head supports, etc.; I'm not sure a regular jogging stroller is (I know the BOB isn't - no roll cage on those). Seems like one place you're probably better off leaving it to the experts, with their teams of engineers and fidgety lawyers.

jgb@etree Guest
    Haven't read this whole thread, but the Mrs grabbed a Bumbleride Indie before the tyke was born. It's made to go offroad with big inflatable & you can lock the front wheel for jogging. Had an infant carrier adapter so we used it all the way from the time he was born until about 2 or so. It's still our primary stroller, we just don't use one very often anymore. Beach/trails/city and it worked pretty awesome. The only complaint my wife ever had was that due to it's width, it could be a PITA in really tight store aisles.

Beast Of Burden is the way to go. It is good at so much more than just jogging. We bring it everywhere. I have sat on it when I get a little tired. The thing is stout.
    You will need a small umbrellas stroller for later on.

Swivel front wheel that can lock straight (we never lock ours)

Buy used or new at a re-sale store. Keep your eye out as they go quickly.

You end up with a quiver of strollers. There is no silver bullet.

Umbrella for travel, since dealing with a kid + a 15-30 lb bulky thing at airport security is out of the question. Buy the cheap one, as it will be gate checked and smashed.

Mid-size stroller compatible with your car seat system (great until they start walking for the store, etc)

Jogger/trailer for you outdoor shit, walks, runs, bikerides.

We bought the chariot double for a bike trailer and got the jogger attachment. Rolls nice and tracks true. REI should have it on 20% discount with the annual dividend sale, or watch craigslist.
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

The BOB is the best hands down.

Flys on planes easily ( gate check), bulletproof.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

Side note: I learned last night that Chariots can still run behind your bike for a long time with a flat tire. (I was wondering why the uphills seemed so much harder than usual...)

Quote Originally Posted by DasBlunt View Post
    The BOB is the best hands down.

Flys on planes easily ( gate check), bulletproof.
    I would shoot myself in the head before even attempting to bring a jogger with me and my kid to the airport. You kid may be easier than mine, but hearding a two year old through security while moving that thing = t3h sUck.
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

One thing you may want to watch our for is your wife giving it away to the contractor (because you haven't paid him enough, clearly).

He has a Kelty now though- it's pretty sweet.
    No Roger, No Rerun, No Rent