Burlington Vermont Maggots - MG and I are comng your way for a triathlon

MiniGadget qualified for the USA Triathlon 2012 Age Group National Championships in Burlington. The Olympic distance triathlon is Saturday August 18 and we are hoping to arrive Wednesday (maybe Thursday) and leave Sunday morning. I don't know if it's possible to make this a cheap trip, but we are trying to minimize the cost. Having never been to Vermont, I'm looking for advice and hopefully a floor to crash on for MG and myself.

Jet Blue has service from JFK to Burlington, but is there another way to get from JFK to Burlington that doesn't take an entire day or cost an arm and a leg?

Is a rental car a necessity to get around Burlington?

Any suggestions or recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Science-fiction author Robert Heinlein

No help, but congrats to MG!

Burlington is a small city you can walk around, no need for a rental car unless you want to check out some breweries or go hiking. You can take a plane, train, or bus from NYC but the airport and train station are just outside of the city. There is no cheap fast way to get there unless you have your own car. Can't help with the crashing situation but I'm pretty sure theres a hostel in the city for cheap.

Thanks powderphan!
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Science-fiction author Robert Heinlein

if you post in the ecrc I'm sure you'll get some suggestions.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

You might want to look into Amtrack.. certainly takes a long time, but cheaper... no need to rent a car in BTV, there are a few campground in the area too if you want to tent it too. The Northbeach campground is a nice location and an easy bike ride to town..

9 hours on Amtrak, but $106 for the 2 of you each way and a beautiful way to see upstate NY and VT.
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. The winds will blow their freshness into you, and the storms, their energy. Your cares and tensions will drop away like the leaves of Autumn." --John Muir

"welcome to the hacienda, asshole." --s.p.c.