Oregon Coast 2012 Tips/Advice/future TR

Heading down the Oregon coast with my brother and sister via bike on the 101 in mid June. Coming down from the great white north (Whistler) and going to ride from Longview, WA to Crescent City, CA over 8 days. Is that time period even reasonable?

None of us have ever done anything like this before but it seems pretty straight forward. I picked up a cx bike on the cheap, they already have road bikes. Were going to slap some packs/tents etc on them and hit the road. That is the plan. We are pretty competent mountain bikers, but like I said, no experience pulling something like this off on the road. I have looked around on the interwebs and have the standard Oregon gov brochure but not much else.

Any of you done this or the similar before? Anybody have any suggestions, tips, advice, must see and do's along the 101?

Either way I will be sure to take some pics and share at a later date.

Reasonable or possible? Not a clue. Seems ambitious, but I don't ride a road bike.

As for stops, you're advised to hit up Mo's Clam Chowder at any one of the Oregon Coast towns. It's an institution. Also while in Oregon, hit up Pelican Brewery as it sounds like you're going to need a few cold ones.

Cannon Beach, Haystack Rock and Ecola State Park is a good stop for scenery and to check out some tidepools.

Yeah I don't really ride a road bike either.

But it is about 110km (70 m) per day that needs to be covered. 20km/h (15 mph) average gets you there in 5 hours. I am just pulling these speed numbers out of the air, no idea if that is realistic over 8 days over the expected terrain.

We have nothing but time to get to daily destination, so it should work out alright even at 6-7 hour days.

EDIT - Pelican Brewery and Mo's are noted. Thanks.

No input as to whether it's a reasonable time period to enjoy the trip, just saying hit the Pelican for a beer or two but I'd stay away from the food. It's good but they've REALLY upped the prices over the year. Go to The Sportsman down the road in town for the fresh dory caught fish and chips and the 'very PC' crowd there. Also the little wine bar right nearby there is owned by a relative of Russian River and always have Pliny on tap if you're a big PtE fan. Ping me before your trip and I'll try and meet you at the beach.
    Be careful about buying snowboard goggles for skiing. Snowboard goggles come in right eye and left eye (for goofy-footers) dominant models. This can make it hard to see correctly when skiing because you are facing straight down the hill, not sideways.

My Dad did this ride years ago, then he vanished into a hippy commune for about 8 months around the bay area, so that's always an option.

Consider renting quads and blasting around on the dunes outside of Florence, it might be a nice way to get off the bike for a bit and get pumped.

Have a blast and be safe.... and I recommend the Rogue Brewery in Newport, just before the bridge.

You may also want to invest in a tall flag for your bike, I know it's dorky but that is one twisty turny and tight road in a few places along the coast and anything to help you get noticed could make a difference you would be grateful for when you got home in one piece.

Quote Originally Posted by TeCeBe View Post
    Yeah I don't really ride a road bike either.

But it is about 110km (70 m) per day that needs to be covered. 20km/h (15 mph) average gets you there in 5 hours. I am just pulling these speed numbers out of the air, no idea if that is realistic over 8 days over the expected terrain.

We have nothing but time to get to daily destination, so it should work out alright even at 6-7 hour days.

EDIT - Pelican Brewery and Mo's are noted. Thanks.
    That kind of distance/day is entirely do-able, but may leave a bit less time for doing off-the-bike fun things. Averaging 15mph on a loaded bike is plausible if you're in good shape, but I think that's a "not fucking around" kind of pace.

Quote Originally Posted by DeathVan View Post
    You may also want to invest in a tall flag for your bike, I know it's dorky but that is one twisty turny and tight road in a few places along the coast and anything to help you get noticed could make a difference you would be grateful for when you got home in one piece.
    This is actually a good idea. There's a lot of twisty turnys and a lot of meth heads and rubbernecking gapers, anything you can do to put the 'hey fuckwad pay attention' factor more in your favor is a good thing.
    Be careful about buying snowboard goggles for skiing. Snowboard goggles come in right eye and left eye (for goofy-footers) dominant models. This can make it hard to see correctly when skiing because you are facing straight down the hill, not sideways.

Quote Originally Posted by DeathVan View Post

Consider renting quads and blasting around on the dunes outside of Florence, it might be a nice way to get off the bike for a bit and get pumped.

Have a blast and be safe.... and I recommend the Rogue Brewery in Newport, just before the bridge.

I'll second all three of those. I forgot that Rogue had a brewery out in Newport. Dead Guy Ale is excellent. The dunes down in Florence are rad time. I remember renting little Honda Oddyseys with no suspension when I was little and ripping around there all day. I've rarely had as much fun as I did that day.

The flag is a smart idea as you'll also be dealing with what will seem like an endless line of RVs and campers on 101 down the Oregon Coast. The good news is that when the traffic gets high, you'll actually be traveling faster than they will.

Sounds like a fun trip. I miss the Oregon coast.

Did Astoria to San Fran a couple of years ago in early May. My girl and I averaged about 80 miles a day but 15 mph is really pushing it, 10 on a fully loaded tourer is more reasonable. That time of year will be crawling with other bikers as this is the premier road tour in the US. This means the numerous state campgrounds along the coast will be full or nearly so, and most are first come first serve. The Adventure Cycling Association makes a series of maps that are invaluable and give a few alternate routes to get around the busy areas.

Definitely agree with going North to South, you'll have a tailwind most of the time and the elevation gain is less with Leggitt Hill in Northern Cali being the big one (but still not that much). Don't bring a stove or much in the way of food unless your doing the Lost Coast which I think is South of Crescent anyway, there's plenty of towns to eat in and extra stuff just weighs you down. Have fun, that route is fantastic....

So to recap we have

2 Breweries,Hippy Communes, Fish & Chips, Chowder, Local PC watering holes

Dislikes
    RV's, driving Metheads

Is the traffic really that crazy in mid June? I figured we would be on the front wave getting in before school gets out and the long weekend of July. Also good to know that we are not to ambitious in the 10-15 mph, 5-6.5 hour day target. I figured if I can ride my MTB around here for hours on end, pounding out this sort of mileage on the road was achievable. We're not usually ones to fuck around to much and tend to get going early in the morning so hopefully that leaves some more time for exploring around at the end of the day.

Keep it coming as far as tips come. All good so far.

Good campsites to look at in the central coast:

Tillicum
    Beachside
    Honeyman State Park

couple things to add
    rogue brewery is just south of the bridge in newport, solid food, but beer is overrated compared to other local offerings imo, still a cool place to stop by though
    hit bier one for more "local" brews and vibe, solid rotation of selection, try something from block 15 if they have one on tap at the time
    the newport aquarium is right down the street from rogue, pretty sweet if you are into that kind of stuff, i always have fun stopping by, time it to see them feed otters/sea lions/etc... usually 1-3ish i believe
    also imo moes sold out long ago and now its pretty much the same as their frozen grocery store chowder... for fine eats try whales tail in the old bay area, spendy but worth it

15mph is pushing it pretty good with a loaded bike and 101 isnt a fast paced ride anyway, i would think 10-12 is more likely, at least it would be for me...

solid recommendations for campgrounds above, i also really dig harris beach in brookings, i would add that technically i think you can camp on the beaches in OR, as long as its outside city limits, not in sight of any buildings, and no fire close to the water, but the local fuzz doesnt dig this idea much, so keep it on the dl and you can pull it off
    also keep an eye on your shit, lots of meth heads on the coast looking for an easy score, should be obvious what to avoid but for oregon its surprising to people how often it happens so keep it in mind, surfers cars broken into, bikers shit stolen, etc...

Thanks for the advice to date. Spent a chunk of today figuring a way to jerry rig a couple of my packs to my rack. I'm to broke/cheap to buy panniers.

Here's a pile of ideas from my old stomping grounds: Along with the above advice, be prepared for drippy and chilly weather. You won't need to carry much food as you'll pass through (and probably eat in) towns a lot of the time. Make pals with fellow bikers so you can share the hiker/biker camps and look out for each other - whiskey is a great way to make those friends. Most State park rangers are extra cool to hike/bikers and will go out of their way to hook you up, look the other way on minor stuff, and help with rides to town or other favors when they can. You may want to call ahead to some of the towns and ask about laundromats - these are critical if your sleep bag gets wet or you've had too many days in the rain (especially if you can get in a motel to dry out and warm up, too). If you're riding in bike shoes, bring some light weight sneakers or booties, you feet will thank you. The bike lane on this route is really nice most of the time, and with a lot of bikers that time of year you should not have too many traffic scares. If you can't get in at parks, there are a million logging roads nearby to roll to and camp on. Chamois butter and/or double up on the padded shorts - train your body to sit on that seat for 8+ hours per day - that can be nasty.
    another Handsome Boy graduate

Cannon Beach is doable in 8 days, but you'll need to figure out how to get home. Here is a tour write-up that we did on our last trip.

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/Oregon2006AB

Or if you are more ambitious:

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/pc2007

Have a good ride!
    Sometimes I feel so good, I gotta scream
    She said Gordie baby I know exactly what you mean
    She said, she said, I swear to god she said...
    My memory is muddy what's this river that I'm in?
    New Orleans is sinking man and I don't wanna swim

If you do make it down/through the Southern OR coast:

It will likely be VERY windy (20knots+). Generally Northerly that time of year though so mostly tailwind.

Stop in at the marinas to score cheap dungeoness crab and the like from the local fishermen.

Definitely have a tall red bike nerd flag because the road is truly sketch.

You can camp on some of the beaches freely.

Check out Floras Lake campground (pay campground) for warm showers, wind protection, and chill folks.
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

When i was there a decade ago Rogue also had a 'public house' down on the waterfront. Great place from my fuzzy recollections...
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Good, nothing like a nice tail wind to keep things moving along. Especially after the brewery stops. We have done a bit more looking into things and have a rough plan. Going to the nearest state parks to town mainly just to use showers to get cleaned up. Bring a little stove for morning coffee and eat-out along the way. Leaves more room for booze on the bike this way. Seems pretty straight forward really, just need some snow to leave Whistler so I can ride bike and put the skis away.

Day 1 - Drive from Whistler down to Longview, WA.
    Day 2 - Longview, WA to Astoria (50 mi)
    Day 3 - Astoria to Tillamook (63)
    Day 5 - Newport to Florence (49)
    Day 6 - Florence to Bandon (74)
    Day 7 - Bandon to Gold Beach (55)
    Day 8 - Gold Beach to Crescent City, CA (52)
    Day 9 - Rent van at Crescent Beach & dropping it off in Portland.
    Day 10 - Drive to Whistler with all sorts of tax free USofA contraband.

Q. Anymore thoughts on typical weather that time of year (late June)?

Not to cold at night, not to hot during the day, guaranteed bluebird?

The weather is erratic, form sunny to stormy and back again, and wind is omnipresent.
    I'd expect ambient temps to be in the mid 50's during the day, dropping 10-15* at night.
    -It will get a bit warmer nearer to the end of your trip (I grew up as a kid in Coos Bay)

On another note: There are some great golf courses down there (specifically Sandpines Golf Links in Florence and Bandon Dunes).

You are going to have a great time!

Quote Originally Posted by TeCeBe View Post
    Q. Anymore thoughts on typical weather that time of year (late June)?

Not to cold at night, not to hot during the day, guaranteed bluebird?
    Definitely not guaranteed bluebird. Wouldn't expect a downpour, but fog is almost guaranteed and light rain is possible. You'll want warm clothes at night for sure. I always freeze my ass off camping out on windsurf trips to the coast around that time.

maybe u guys are hosses but that is a LOT of mileage for an 'enjoyable' ride down the coast. The OC is not flat. The Southern coast is hilly.
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

Hmmm. I was hoping to stay clear of the pain cave on this one.

I guess we will see.