Dynastar Exclusive Legend Idyll for My Wife

My wife is a newb who is progressing pretty well. She is starting to handle groomed western blacks and ungroomed blues. She is 5'2 and about 105 lbs. Right now she is on some 135 CM Salomon xwing 400s. She is really progessing and ready for some new skis. I was thinking of buying her a pair of Dynastar Legend Exclusive Idylls in a 152 CM size for $200 with bindings (2010-2011 model). It looks like the 2011-2012 ones are a little different with a touch of rocker. Do any of you guy's ladies or daughters have any experience with the 2010-2011 version of these? Not surprisingly, they are not mentioned on here since they are not thunder sticks you guys would ski.

http://www.skis.com/womens-skis-with...1-p192753.html
    Last edited by wolfelot; 03-16-2012 at 12:17 PM.

Is 135cm a typo? It's been a long time since I've been 5'2" and an even longer time since I learned to ski, but that seems really short even by modern standards.

The price and target demographics certainly seem right. Based on my experiences with Dynastar mens models adding a touch of rocker to some models, the difference isn't massive.

^^^^^135 cm was not a typo. They are in fact quite short. Given her size, gender, level of skier, and initial apprehension, 135 cm was the way to go. Better to have her on something short she can easily control and make turns with than scared, frustrated, and mad at me. I had too much at stake for her to not like skiing. She has taken it up very quickly and is ready to progress to the next level. I know a lot of you guys like to go pretty long on skis, but I think this 152 cm length is a logical progression for her.

If she is coming from 135s, that is a big step up and probably the right size. I think she will like the added stability. I was thinking it was a typo for 153cm and was going to suggest something closer to 160cm. Sounds like you have the right idea to me.

You are a better man that me; I made my girlfriend (same height) learn on 160 straight skis because that the shortest thing I could find in my garage.

I've worked lots of demos with the local Dynastar rep and the feedback on the women's skis has been great. The Idyll, I've been told repeatedly, is super easy to ski and a solid choice for intermediate women out there. The rocker on the 11/12 version is mainly marketing, I wouldn't even qualify it as early rise and it's certainly not worth spending extra money on.
    Coming from a 135cm ski I think she'll really like the stability of the larger platform and her skiing will improve even faster, go for it!

^^^^^^Great info. Exactly what I was looking for.

I think we went with the 158 Edens (85 waist instead of 78), maybe Idylls, I can't remember, for my girlfriend who's a 5'5" 115lbs intermediate and she loves her skis. She's feeling more confident, skiing faster, and more stoked to go skiing.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasGortex View Post
    I made my girlfriend (same height) learn on 160 straight skis because that the shortest thing I could find in my garage.
    GNAR points awarded!

Anyway my wife is a beginner and uses an earlier version of those Dynas in 148 and loves them. The adjustable binding with CoG is a really good thing. When she gets really comfy on them we'll go longer, etc.