Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

MASSIVE Shuksan arm slide again.

The Shuksan Arm ripped huge sometime last night. Biggest slide ever seen in there. Bigger than 98-99 bigger than last year. Slide ran full path snapped full size trees and ran into the ski area, crossing the boundary rope and towards the base of chair 8. Thank god no one was in it. I also saw the largest slide I have ever seen in the Backcountry yesterday am off the other side of the area.

Be Fucking careful out there!

um, pics or it didn't happen?

http://www.nwac.us/forecast/avalanche/current/zone/5/

"More recently, avalanche control work in most Cascade west slope areas has produced very sensitive 1 to 2 ft slabs early to mid Thursday morning and increasingly easy and more widespread fracture propagation with each hour. A very large slide on Shuksan Arm just east of the Mt Baker Ski Area ran into Rumble Gulley mid-morning and overran the tree line buffer protecting the base of the Shuksan Arm Chair...depositing debris into the lower part of the run. This slide is reported as the largest ever witnessed in the area by the General Manager...who has been there for over 40 years and who is closing the area to prevent any accidents involving "sidecountry" exposure to the developing extreme danger. Due to very poor visibility, no estimates of the fracture depth are yet available."
    Putting the "core" in corporate, one turn at a time.

Metalmücil 2010 - 2013 "Go Home" album is now a free download

The Bonin Petrels

http://www.nwac.us/weatherdata/mtbakerskiarea/

I count like 110" of snow in the last 5 days? Not surprising, but scary.
    that's all i can think of, but i'm sure there's something else...

huge slides and tree bombs from above on 542 sure have been problematic for the baker crew this week.
    hope things spring back into shape soon
    bobby

Gunder, do you have a link to your pics from last year's slide? I wanted to show a friend for reference. Thanks.

Edit: Crazy, found the thread from last year. Happened on almost the same exact day. Didn't see pics in that thread though. Mostly just people bitching about the lack of photos....not that that ever happens here.
    Quote Originally Posted by DoWork
    Well we really came up with jong because it was becoming work to call all the johnny-come-lately whiny twats like yourself ball-licking, dick-shitting, butthole-surfing, manyon-sniffing, fotch-fanagling, duck butter spreading, sheep fucking, whiny, pissant, entitled, PMSing, baby dicked, pizza-frenchfrying, desk jockeying flacid excuses for misguided missles of butthurt specifically. That and JONG is just fun to say.
    the-one-track-mind

Quote Originally Posted by pbourdon View Post
    Gunder, do you have a link to your pics from last year's slide? I wanted to show a friend for reference. Thanks.

Edit: Crazy, found the thread from last year. Happened on almost the same exact day. Didn't see pics in that thread though. Mostly just people bitching about the lack of photos....not that that ever happens here.
    Here you go: http://www.prints.grantgunderson.com...3803_Edit.html

I'll take some pics of this years slide as soon as we have visibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunder View Post
    Here you go: http://www.prints.grantgunderson.com...3803_Edit.html

I'll take some pics of this years slide as soon as we have visibility.
    fuck, that's huge.

xpost from TAY

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	March_15_slide_-_3.jpg 
Views:	1027 
Size:	78.0 KB 
ID:	112393

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	March_15_slide_-_1.jpg 
Views:	723 
Size:	112.0 KB 
ID:	112394

Damn that crown is crazy in gunder's pic!

Fuggin' wet storm! Recking havoc on the tahoe snowpack too!
    so many mountains...so little time

www.splitboard.com

Thanks for that link Gunder. And I know its been said a bajillion times before, but shit you do good work behind the lens..
    Quote Originally Posted by DoWork
    Well we really came up with jong because it was becoming work to call all the johnny-come-lately whiny twats like yourself ball-licking, dick-shitting, butthole-surfing, manyon-sniffing, fotch-fanagling, duck butter spreading, sheep fucking, whiny, pissant, entitled, PMSing, baby dicked, pizza-frenchfrying, desk jockeying flacid excuses for misguided missles of butthurt specifically. That and JONG is just fun to say.
    the-one-track-mind

Is there a maggot discount code for your site Gunder?

Hayduke Aug 7,1996 GS-Aug 26 2010
    HunterS March 17 09-Oct 24 14

Grant, your photo from last year is all over the internet (just saw it on 3 different Facebook pages in the last 30 mins) but everyone is claiming it is the recent slide
    "No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible" -Stanislaw Jerzy Lec

spook Guest
    grant, i put it on my fb page as last year and named you as the photographer. i can take it down if you'd prefer. i was waiting for your pic from this year for a comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by hop View Post
    http://www.nwac.us/forecast/avalanche/current/zone/5/

"More recently, avalanche control work in most Cascade west slope areas has produced very sensitive 1 to 2 ft slabs early to mid Thursday morning and increasingly easy and more widespread fracture propagation with each hour. A very large slide on Shuksan Arm just east of the Mt Baker Ski Area ran into Rumble Gulley mid-morning and overran the tree line buffer protecting the base of the Shuksan Arm Chair...depositing debris into the lower part of the run. This slide is reported as the largest ever witnessed in the area by the General Manager...who has been there for over 40 years and who is closing the area to prevent any accidents involving "sidecountry" exposure to the developing extreme danger. Due to very poor visibility, no estimates of the fracture depth are yet available."
    I think that is just about the worst avalanche rose I have seen.

Don't be safe out there, just don't be out there period.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Hey Gunder, FYI: http://www.piquenewsmagazine.com/whi...pKPW4.facebook

You may want to have a word with the Pique about use of your photo...

The photo is tagged "From Facebook". Where do these clowns get the idea that is an acceptable way to credit?

anyone got a line on pics of this 15' crown? Sounds like a monster
    Live

Quote Originally Posted by counterfeitfake View Post
    The photo is tagged "From Facebook". Where do these clowns get the idea that is an acceptable way to credit?
    not that it excuses it, but I think others ripped the pic, and posted it, so they have no way of knowing it was gunder's, again, not that it makes it right.

They still took the photo off a specific FB page and didn't even credit that. Ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by t.odd View Post
    not that it excuses it, but I think others ripped the pic, and posted it, so they have no way of knowing it was gunder's, again, not that it makes it right.
    On one hand I am stoked if that pic will raise awareness and keep people safe, but I am FUCKING PISSED people are ripping it off and giving me no credit.... All of the copyright info is in the meta data if people where not too lazy to check. There is no excuse for a newspaper to not check.

Quote Originally Posted by haydukelives View Post
    Is there a maggot discount code for your site Gunder?
    Shoot me a email grant@grantgunderson.com with your TGR name and I'll set up a maggot discount.

On one hand I am stoked if that pic will raise awareness and keep people safe, but I am FUCKING PISSED people are ripping it off and giving me no credit.... All of the copyright info is in the meta data if people where not too lazy to check. There is no excuse for a newspaper to not check.
    you'll get no argument from me! maybe I'm an idiot, but I just tried to check the metadata on FB and didn't see anything, does FB strip it off when it's uploaded?

Quote Originally Posted by t.odd View Post
    you'll get no argument from me! maybe I'm an idiot, but I just tried to check the metadata on FB and didn't see anything, does FB strip it off when it's uploaded?
    Who ever posted it the first time, took a screen shot and then posted it...... pretty lame. If they would have posted the link to the image, all of the meta-data would be there. I want these kind of shots out there as I think the awarness is a very good thing.... Thats why I donate a ton of work to the avy center... but when shit gets blatently ripped off with no credit it makes me re-think the whole thing.

Who ever posted it the first time, took a screen shot and then posted it...... pretty lame. If they would have posted the link to the image, all of the meta-data would be there. I want these kind of shots out there as I think the awarness is a very good thing.... Thats why I donate a ton of work to the avy center... but when shit gets blatently ripped off with no credit it makes me re-think the whole thing.
    yeah, that makes sense. def lame. I've had a few BC mtb events rip off my pics without credit, and even crop off my watermark. bastards didn't even respond to my emails about it. Sad part is that if they would've asked I'd have gladly donated them as it was for small time clubs.