Snowmobile repair and slider test shots

excuse the noise. the lighting wasn't exactly ideal and I was shooting at 6400 and 3200. still learning the 5d2.

nice job!

Interesting. Really motivational for me to learn more about shooting video.

How did you get the camera to change the focus point at the 0:38 mark?
    ...Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain...

"I enjoy skinny skiing, bullfights on acid..." - Lacy Underalls

The problems we face will not be solved by the minds that created them.

Very nice. I love the 5D2's video look, but am too lazy to learn to use it properly and to edit the video afterwards. A few questions for you:
    (1) What lenses did you use and at what apertures?
    (2) What did you use for moving the camera -- looks very smooth
    (3) Did you use any special focusing aid? I got a precision focusing screen (mainly for manual focusing for stills) which helps with video, but I can't always eyeball it exactly (especially in low light).
    Gallery || Facebook || Instagram
    Go that way, really fast...if something gets in your way, TURN!

Oh yeah.

You've got an slr for video, an igus slider, a faggy beer, some flittery white text for titles..........just get that new mac book and a copy of final cut and you're a production company waiting for a pretentious 'something something productions' logo that takes just as long to run through the animation as watching a video.

You're there dood!

Nice work man, that looks really good.

^^

You forgot a Vimeo Pro account.
    All I want is to be hardcore.

www.tonystreks.com

The true sign of any internet professional.

Don't know how I could have missed it!

I'm not pro.

I'm still saving up for the vimeo pro account. Until then I'll be working on my animated intro logo thingy.

Chainsaw_Willie, that is done by putting the lens in manual focus and adjusting the focus ring.

Fuzz:

1) almost all of the shots were done with the 50mm 1.8. One shot was done with a Tokina 11-16 and one was done with a Rokinon Fisheye.

2) http://www.amazon.com/Motion-Slider-.../dp/B003O5BASE

3) I used a cheap-o view finder made by CarrySpeed. It magnifies the screen. It's essential in getting the focus right when shooting with a lens like the 1.8 wide open.

So you had someone do it for you, or is that not you working in the background?

That was my point of confusion - how you could have changed focus when you were out in front of the camera.
    ...Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain...

That is not me working on the sled.

Quote Originally Posted by Chainsaw_Willie View Post
    So you had someone do it for you, or is that not you working in the background?

That was my point of confusion - how you could have changed focus when you were out in front of the camera.
    You know those clappers that turn lights on and off?

I've always wanted a focus puller that works the same way........but responds to farts instead of clapping. Would be much better than distracting clapping in the middle of a scene.

I'd just assumed dfinn had made one.

That wouldn't work. I don't have that kind of control over my flatulence. The focus would constantly be adjusting.

Magic Lantern does have a built in rack focus. I couldn't get it to work but it seems like people smarter than me are using it. You set 2 focus points and then you set the time you want it to take to focus between the 2. So with that, I could have theoretically gotten this shot of myself without touching the focus ring on the camera.
    Last edited by dfinn; 03-27-2012 at 01:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    Magic Lantern does have a built in rack focus. I couldn't get it to work but it seems like people smarter than me are using it. You set your far, you set your away, and then you set the time you want it to take to focus between the 2. So with that, I could have theoretically gotten this shot of myself without touching the focus ring on the camera.
    Damn seriously?

I gotta get me one of them rebels.

Hey that was pretty good from a total video jong's perspective. The slider adds a lot to the video.

What's the scoop with Magic Lantern? It's like a hacked firmware, right? Necessary for any decent video on the 5D2? I just got one today but haven't had a chance to play around and compare it to the 7D's video

kidwoo, it also works on the 5d2.

altmantor, I wouldn't say necessary to create decent video. It really doesn't alter the video at all, it just gives you some nice features that come in handy. Everything in that video above could easily be done without ML. And yes, it's a hacked add on firmware that loads on top of your cameras current firmware.

It's free though so you should definitely check it out. After you get to learn the camera on it's own, IMO.

Put magic lantern on it.

Just do it.

It fucking rules.

Cool, thanks for the info!