Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
    I also think I could get away with not having a trailer for a summer, but it would be nice.
    We lacked a trailer for the first summer or two (wait, actually it was that I lacked a decent tow vehicle) and it wasn't bad. Not ideal, of course, but viable. The raft body fit fine in the back of my subaru with plenty of room for lots of other crap. Some frame parts inside the car and some strapped to roof. 45 mins or something to inflate and build at the put-in, which works out fine if somebody is running a bike shuttle anyway. Feels kind of commando, traveling light. But it's a lot better with a trailer...

Yeah, I am going to try and get a trailer. It will all depend on if I have to fund the purchase myself or not. I am hoping not. I have been dreaming of rafts almost everynight for the last week. Making list of rivers and hatches to float. Ark, Blue, Colorado, Eagle, Gunnison, and Roaring Fork. Oh yeah, and the North Platte.
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
    Do you know what year it is? When I went and looked at them and mentioned that I had heard that, he said it was a problem, but they raised the floor height in 2013 and that fixed things...just wondering how much. Thanks
    He got his last spring from them.

Snapt, that is one thing that concerns me about that raft...it just has the right price tag. Really hoping I can find something good used in that $2,000 to $2,500 price range.
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Super puma or super duper make awesome fishing rafts. I own a super and my dad owns a duper. The duper offers a little more space for multiday and for a stern seat. My stern seat is a bit tight, but it's usually just two in my boat, as I have a bigger raft as well for river trips. I have a friend with a star superbug and the thing sits still in some pretty swift water. Not my first choice as a WW boat (single layer, thinner PVC) but it fishes great.

I'd keep watching the buzz. If anything interests you in the Durango area I'd be happy to go check it out for you. 4 corners Riversports down here had some used super dupers not too long ago.

13' hyside with full fishing rig at riverboatworks in salida, on the buzz $4500...

I would think if you're patient and willing to travel a bit you'll be able to find something good used in your price range Gretch.

Thanks for the responses and the offer SW. If this was a pure fishing boat, I would be looking at a 13' for sure or the narrow super duper.

Part of the wives sign off is having room for two couples and for overnight/multi day trips. I think this leaves me in the wider 14' range? Gotta be able to fit to small women or kids in the front.

But I also don't want a boat that is super difficult for a novice to row and something I can quickly adjust when I make mistakes...which will certainly happen.

Ron at Riverboat works is a solid guy. I think I have referred others here to him and plenty of non mags over the years. Gretchen - you won't be sorry of you buy from him. Plus , it gives you an excuse to go fish the Ark!

Ron is a good guy. I have talked to him a couple times. Now after thinking about it for a night... the Super Duper does sound appealing, as long as I can fit two people on the bench up front. Do you have a pic of your dads setup SW? Capacity is 1,158 LBS and we would have 600 lbs of flesh if everyone was in the boat.

I wish we could just get two boats...

How difficult is it to roll or is it a boat you would advise be stored inflated?

Anyone have any experience with the NRS Otter 14' Fishing Package? I found a good deal on one and am thinking about pulling the trigger. Would have to change it a little and get rid of the front high swivel seat and add a polly deck and drop bag. Wondering if the frame is long enough to turn into a 4 bay?

I don't have a pic of dad's rig. For a do all I would go with a 14' boat though, so you are on the right track. If I could have only one boat it would be a super duper, but they are a bit narrower than other 14' options out there. Aires roll up fine, although not as well as hypalon boats. PVC is tough to roll when its cold, and doing so puts creases in the PVC which will wear out faster. Best to store a PVC boat inflated. I keep my puma inflated all winter garaged. My bigger boat is hypalon and gets rolled up.

Also hypalon is easy to patch. Aire's have the double bladder, which makes it more of a pain. Just another factor to consider.

Nothing wrong with an otter if you find a good price. Just a thinner hypalon than nrs's e-series. The lighter weight makes rowing when fishing easier, but it isn't as durable long term.

The aire tributary 14.0 would be a good option as well, comparable to the otters.

Thanks SW for all the info. From my other thread, just so it is here too and becuase I am so excited...

Just bought a raft. Think I got a pretty good deal. Stoked for sure. Ended up not sharing the raft. The wife kind of wanted our own anyhow, so no matter what we can use it whenever we want. I am sure my buddy will be in one of the seats most of the time anyhow.

13' Hyside and DRE Fishing Frame and a trailer for $3500. No patches and no leaks. Figured the shorter raft would be better for fishing in CO, and since we are not sharing the raft, less pressure to take 4 people all the time. He is throwing in 3 Carlisle oars, the drop bags, etc. Boat is 10 years old and was owned by a guy working for DRE the first 5 or 6 years. Now I just need to learn how to row...

Was gonna read Drift Boat Strategies: Rowing and Fishing Skills for the Western Angler.

http://www.amazon.com/Drift-Boat-Str...rds=drift+boat

Any other suggestions? Underoo, maybe we could get out on my boat and you could give me a crash course in some low water conditions.

Here is the frame and trailer, which needs a new deck:

Going Sunday to pick her up!

Congrats, buddy!

I think the river might be locked up for a while, but when it opens I'd be happy to put some weight in the bow for ya. It'll be nice and low in the spring so you'll have plenty of rocks to practice dodging. FYI, I've rowed it down to about 350 a bunch of times, which is pretty fucking low.

Don't waste your time with that book. It's pretty worthless. Maybe I'm biased though, as I'm not a complete novice as captain of the ship. I have a copy of the book. Text me your address and I'll send it to you. And let me know who you bought the boat from. I know some of those guys.