Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    We're being trolled. No-one can be this stupid. Hope Hollyburn was good today.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    ...good name for the group
    I've always thought "The Seymour Skinners" would be a great name for a North Shore dawn patrol club.

Hollyburn north trees to Lower Collins were great Sunday morning.

As I can see, Roberts rules have taken charge and we're all having a quick go around the board table.

Garbo- you are a trolling newb bc skier Jong (hurts when it's from another Jong), I tried to reach out by explaining that you are so out of touch with what is happening around our backcountry, not in those words exactly, but you have just f-ed it all up with your nonsense. Anyways, those are my last words to you good sir.

I was up Blackcomb today, wow.

I am looking for a bit of Brunswick info. Lee- I read on your website that you had been up on (multiple?) missions? Long bash up there?

Brunswick route is via hiking routes either N via Deeks Lk or S via Harvey and the Lions. I've tried both to ski the NE couloir off Brunswick Pk. Its a long approach and worth it if you can get a spring corn cycle. Next time i would try to get it by coming up N so you could skin more. The last time I came in N the lakes were thawing so it was a pain so definitely go earlier in the year - april maybe? Also have to leave earlier = I was lazy and didn't go till 8am. You should be looking to summit Brunswick earlier than noon which was when i got there leaving at 8am

Other routes that look kind of cool are the Harvey N ramp (tough to time) and W Lion (also tough to time). Problem is that april may is also a good time for longer duffey and garibaldi missions so Nshore tends to take the backseat

Yup Blackcomb was pretty good today

Always wanted to check out the south chutes on Brunswick:

http://bivouac.com/MtnPg.asp?MtnId=577
    http://bivouac.com/PhotoPg.asp?PhotoId=483

Hollyburn SW trees have been tres nice the last few days.

Started up Hollyburn in sleet this am, it stayed that way till we got to the top. Pretty much changed over to rain while we were up there.

The skiing was pure survival.

Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    Started up Hollyburn in sleet this am, it stayed that way till we got to the top. Pretty much changed over to rain while we were up there.

The skiing was pure survival.
    Always nice to have your knees pass the test...
    Looking to ride the shore but don't know where to go?

Get a copy of the Locals Guide to North Shore Rides!

Follow MTB Trails on Twitter

Follow Sharon and Lee on Twitter

I went up to Hollyburn tonight. Based on the parking lots, it looks like they had about 2" of fresh snow today. I started at 9pm so I basically had the place to myself.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN7651.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	1.62 MB 
ID:	112836

I skinned up the point about 3/4 of the way up the cut where the slope gets dramatically steeper. I dug a quick pit and found about 2 feet of fairly light snow on top of a hard crust. It failed consistently and fairly easily about half-way down on a layer that I hadn't noticed until it failed. At that point, the snowshoe trail also became too steep to skin up. I was solo so I decided to leave my skis (and the temptation to stand on them) on the side of the trail and quickly boot packed to the top.

Name:	DSCN7655.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	791.6 KB 
ID:	112837

Name:	DSCN7656.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	718.0 KB 
ID:	112838

After some quick pictures at the top, I made my way down, stepped into my skis and had a good run down the cut. From there, it was a combination of skiing and bootpacking back to the car but I didn't take the skins out again.

Name:	DSCN7662.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	723.1 KB 
ID:	112839

Name:	DSCN7666.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	873.8 KB 
ID:	112840

I figure if the GSA can sport two GoPros, I can sport three headlamps. One on each thigh and one on my helmet.

Name:	DSCN7668.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	1.46 MB 
ID:	112843

And of course, I couldn't end the trip without completely biting it on the last hill. This is my first year skiing (resort and backcountry) so I'm a JONG and still figuring out what the hell to do when I'm not on a groomer.

Name:	DSCN7669.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	1,017.0 KB 
ID:	112842
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN7668.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	1.46 MB 
ID:	112841  

I thought this was gonna be about purchasing a cement mixer
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

3 of us were in the trees up on Hollyburn last night as well. Probably about an hour back of steventy. Great snow everywhere from the random mid-day blizzard they must have got. Always nice to get some fresh air after work.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    I thought this was gonna be about purchasing a cement mixer
    If our paths ever cross I'll buy you one.
    I don't work and I don't save, desperate women pay my way.

I've got nothing to contribute, it's all dedicated whistler stoke. But I've got required minutes in Vancouver that I am supposed to be attending, which means I have openings in my schedule for flaking out and skiing (oh you Duffey I hear you...shhhhhh)

Any updates? Fzl helping?

If anyone wants to hit a local Seymour Depencier Lake rip PM me.
    We tried to access Colloseum from the dam last week to no success. Got blocked in by cliff bands.
    Looks like the Norvan falls is the only way up. More of a local bushwack than ski touring.

Like the cement mixer name.
    What if "Alternative" energy wasn't so alternative ?

Early season Bump
    What if "Alternative" energy wasn't so alternative ?

I can't believe I missed this last year, heh, must have been skiing. Whilst I wholeheartedly agree that a Cement Mixer is the best shot you can give to a "buddy", it really is the perfect name for the NordVand Massive.

If anyone's looking for a partner I get lots of mid-week flexibility but weekends are normally mornings only, probably not going to happen until Jan now but keep me in mind!

(Presently a little on the unfit side but I've survived a LeeLau Deathmarch™ in the past)
    i wish i never chose that user_name

Whitedot Freeride

Count me among the willing.
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

Quote Originally Posted by Huck_Schmuck View Post
    (Presently a little on the unfit side but I've survived a LeeLau Deathmarch™ in the past)
    Don't forget to add skiing from Decker to the village by tiny shitty headlamp to your resume.

The riding on the Shore is still too good to be worried about skinning very marginal conditions.

haha. excellent... Present!

Just found this thread... great idea. Looks like the locals may be a go as of this week.

Which one of you yahoos had the "misadventure"?

Vibes

Sucks to be that guy. Hope he's OK.

He didn't make it. Vibes to the family and friends.
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...kier-dead.html
    Last edited by steventy; 12-09-2012 at 07:34 PM. Reason: New information from the news

Damn that sucks. I was hoping misadventure was a little more lighthearted.

Vibes

Sad news

An FYI for anyone that has not spent much time up on Hollyburn touring. It needs a pretty deep base before it's really good to go. Also if you don't know your way around up there it has some ugly ugly steep micro gullies.

From looking at the map it looks like this skier may have skied west off the peak trying to ski into the flat between Hollyburn and Cypress. There are several chutes and small cliff bands in there going that way.

Please play safe, the North Shore mountains are no joke. The terrain is more complex than the slackcountry off Whistler. It's not a good spot to get in over your head.

Quote Originally Posted by canwilf View Post
    ^^^ Thanks for the heads-up. I will be exploring the area on skis and snowshoes this year. Does anyone know what the snow cover is like right now? Vibes to whomever passed away -- bummer accident.
    I have not been up there yet this year. Past few years that we've been skiing laps before work we don't usually get up there till mid Jan. Even then with lots of snow you need to watch for stumps and logs near the bottom.