Thread: Maui peeps

Maui peeps

Aloha a hui hou!
    Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each.
    Henry David Thoreau

My flight to Maui is booked, June 6th. So excited.

Now how to ship my bike?

And if anyone knows of an ohana for rent around Lahaina and a little part time work, please let me know.

And I'll be in San Diego during the month of May if anybody wants to do happy hour...
    Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each.
    Henry David Thoreau

Cheapest way for the bike is on the plane, otherwise figure $175 ups or fed ex... if you can get it small enough priority mail is cheaper

Not sure about Lahaina, check craigslist, heavily used here. Very touristy and transient over on that side , bring a cheap bike and a big lock if you are going to use it to get around. If you need to ship your bike to my bike shop, PM me for the address.

You're gonna have a great summer!

I'll keep my eyes out for Ohana or part time work on west side. summer is pretty busy time for tourists and there are plenty of tourist oriented businesses on west side. I would think it shouldn't be that difficult to get work. Like crampedon said, it's a very transient area, so people come and go from housing all the time.But if you only have a bike for transportation, it's quite a ways from west maui to anywhere else on the island. And coming through maalaea area will be windy as hell most of the summer. Trades are strong and steady most of summer. Good luck. It's a beautiful place with lots of cool stuff to do.

Oh, and by the way, the trades blow most of summer, but not in lahaina. The further north you go from Lahaina, the more wind you will have. Bottom line if you get a place in Lahaina in summer, it will be warm without A/C.

Thanks for all the good advice. Stenou, would def be grateful for you to keep your ears open for me. I have a few small connections to people over there, but not enough yet.

I've also been talking to splat, very helpful. Seems like I should just get a bike off craigslist and travel there super light. Love my bike so much, but it'll be waiting in San Diego. Hard to leave behind my tent though. And hoodies. Isn't it pretty cool upcountry? And I was thinking of buying a shortie here that I've got a line on, for snorkeling. It's only $20 extra per checked bag on Alaska.

The bus seems to go to every town and I can put a bike on the front so I should be able to do a lot of exploring. Do you guys see anybody hitching? I might spend some time on one of the organic farms upcountry to work for produce and need to hitchhike to get there.

So is the disc golf course on the west side open or closed? I'm now hearing conflicting rumors. You might remember that I wanted to play ball golf, but I had so much fun with the disc last summer and there's no overhead. Just fun...and the people suit me better than the pebble beach crowd. Had my fill of them, honestly.

I dunno, bunch of rambling. Still have plenty of time to figure it out. Thanks for listening.
    Henry David Thoreau

There is a bus system, but definitely not the quickest or most efficient way to get around. But possible. Not sure about disc golf course in west maui, but there is a nice one with killer views on slopes up Waipoli road in polipoli area. Probably about 4500 ft elevation. And yes, upcountry is much cooler depending on elevation. which personally, I think is really nice. There is a bunch of small farming in upcountry. There are some Thai people who have a farm on Lower Kula Road (not too far from Ace Hardware in Kula) who have an open market on Sundays and Thursdays. Might be good to talk to them about part time work. Nice people.

SheRa, remember I have a bike store! If you find the beater Splat left behind under a mango tree in Lahaina just remember to bring shorts and SPD shoes so you can rock a rental bike sometimes back in the rain forest.

Oh and bring the hoody, it gets cold here, sort of.

Yeah, I want to enjoy upcountry also, will bring hoodies. I just need to live near the beach this summer, first priority. And near Launiupoko park where I plan to become a fixture. If I come back the following year I will reconsider location. Everyone that knows me and knows Maui seems to think I would belong in Paia, but I don't like to be put in a box, even an ubercool hippy box. And I want the heat and the sun and less wind and summer breaks, hence west side. Seems easier to make some money from tourist economy that way too. We'll just see how it goes. This summer is factfinding/scouting/orientation, whatever you want to call it.

Thinking of this organic permaculture farm because they do poultry also - http://ranchorelaxzo.com/ but thanks for telling me about the thai farm. Hopefully I can check it out.

I know about that "secret" disc golf course on the volcano! Will def play it. But there is/was a converted ball golf course a little north of Lahaina somewhere, which would be so convenient I could play a lot. I heard it was closed because of trash or insurance. Hopefully not. I would def pick up trash to help. Please keep your ears open on this.

I've studied the bus routes and schedule. Looks fine. I rode the bus a lot last summer in California, just left my truck parked at home. It was really fun, you just have to get used to it and not be in a big hurry all the time. But one reason I'm going to Maui this summer is to live on Hawaii time if that's possible, not in a big rush to win the rat race.

Not going to be renting a bike. And I need to get a hardtail with gears, not a coast cruiser because I like to climb and also explore dirt areas as well as road. I just pump up my tires really hard and go everywhere. So many miles last summer and so excited to get back on it. It's the best way to see the world.

Thanks again for reading. Really grateful for feedback. I know a lot of this has been discussed already in prev thread. Just excited because the time is coming.
    Henry David Thoreau

Good plan, but I meant to LOAN you a rental when you want to come trail riding,if you end up with just a city bike for transport! There will be no renting of bikes! Dork!

OK, that's cool. I just feel a little weird because we never met this winter.
    Henry David Thoreau

You will recognize me.

I've booked 6 weeks in Maui, june through mid july, anyone interested in getting together a Maui beach mini? , we (wife and son) tend to spend most of our time kiteboarding and surfing , it would be great to meet some new peeps. Crampedon, I've been meaning to send you a pm re; local knowledge on the reefs south of Kanaha, wanting to do a downwinder, Sprecks to Kanaha , any beta? I know about the FAA exclusion zone near the runway, but unsure about any super shallow boneyards?

Yeah gray, Stay outside!

A better coast run is from Lanes to Kite beach.

We can do a BBQ one day for sure. I have a Polo game every Sunday till June 24. I have a picnic table, shade tent and gas grill at the field. When does SheRA get in? We have some good fun up there.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Crampedon View Post
    You will recognize me.

I ain't skeered!...much

As far as polo bbqs, aren't funny hats required for that?

Henry David Thoreau

We have a hat optional policy!

Maui is NOT Santa Barabara, that's for sure!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1434.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	1.52 MB 
ID:	114364   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1447.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	2.04 MB 
ID:	114365  

Those two girls look kinda married or something. Cute.

Never watched polo, but I do love ponies. Sounds interesting.
    Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by SheRa View Post
    Those two girls look kinda married or something. Cute.

Never watched polo, but I do love ponies. Sounds interesting.
    Close, they are sisters. We all love ponies. And BBQ', and beer, so it all works out!