Page 18 of 41 FirstFirst ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast
    Holy shit. That just made my day.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by Beer Drinker View Post
    You need to like cabbage. I do.

I hollow it out and stuff it with a stick of butter, chopped onion, pancetta, salt and pepper. 6 hours @ 275.
    OK mad props to you Beer Drinker... I have had my Egg for a while now and that cabbage looks stupid good and would never have thought about it... And the way you did it is brilliant... Holy shit that looks good and the clams to boot you def got it going on...

I have a 9lb pork butt lathered in mustard and dry rub sitting overnight as well as two full chickens brining in Apple juice, quartered oranges, and spices... Will be throwing on the eggs tomorrow for upcoming weekend...

I'm am currently deciding between a large egg and a S&W MP-15. This thread has me leaning towards the former.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke
    Cell phones are great in the backcountry. If you're injured, you can use them to play Tetris, which helps pass the time while waiting for cold embrace of Death to envelop you.

Thanks guys! I did an acorn squash last night, with the same stuffing and some brown sugar, it was great. Couple hours at 325.

While AR15s are cool an all, they are not very useful.

The Egg would be used quite a bit more, and IMO saves money. I can make a $12 7lb pork butt last through multiple meals.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

Brain dead and made of money.

Damn. I love cabbage, that sounds amazing. Loving that this thread has evolved from yet another pork butt/ribs/brisket to some really creative stuff. Anyone got pics of pizzas they've done on the egg? I haven't experimented with it at really high temps yet - I've got the skillet/broiler method pretty dialed in my kitchen, curious if using the egg instead would be an improvement. Don't you lose all the heat when you open it up? Seems like that would be an issue given the short cooking time.
    Outlive the bastards - Ed Abbey

I do steaks at high heat 500-600 unless it's a really thick ribeye or something, then I reverse sear.

I am going to do some pizzas on Sunday. I've got a new stone, that supposed to be in on Saturday. Saturday night I am doing another load of clams, some salmon, elote style corn, probably another cabbage.

Last edited by Beer Drinker; 05-23-2015 at 07:03 AM.
    "I don't pretend to have all the answers, and I think there's something to be said for that" -One For The Road

This was a BBQ Chicken pizza on the BGE and by far one of the best pizzas I have ever had... Below are some lessons learned over the years doing pizza on the Egg...:

1. Turn plate setter upside down so legs are up.'
    2. Put grilling rack on top of inverted legs and place pizza stone on top as soon as you start the Egg - do not put cold pizza stone on hot Egg
    3. Clean your Egg and start with fresh hardwood charcoal to obtain clear smoke (I cannot emphasize this enough. I did not clean and used charcoal from a long smoke - the pizza was cooked fine, but way to much of a smoky flavor)
    4. Set Egg temp to 600 degrees
    5. Check pizza at 6 min when cooking at 600 degrees - very rarely do I have to push much past 6 min
    6. Use cornmeal on pizza peel to help slide pizza on to the pizza stone
    7. Before making pizza set out dough for a min of 2 hrs. to make more pliable when spreading out

Pizza is truly one of my favorite things to do on the Egg and I pretty much have it dialed now... In addition to the BBQ chicken I did last time I also did a pulled pork pizza, but that was gone in min by the kids...

Any thoughts on the Vision brand that Home Depot is selling?

Quote Originally Posted by Undertow View Post
    This was a BBQ Chicken pizza on the BGE and by far one of the best pizzas I have ever had... Below are some lessons learned over the years doing pizza on the Egg...:

1. Turn plate setter upside down so legs are up.'
    2. Put grilling rack on top of inverted legs and place pizza stone on top as soon as you start the Egg - do not put cold pizza stone on hot Egg
    3. Clean your Egg and start with fresh hardwood charcoal to obtain clear smoke (I cannot emphasize this enough. I did not clean and used charcoal from a long smoke - the pizza was cooked fine, but way to much of a smoky flavor)
    4. Set Egg temp to 600 degrees
    5. Check pizza at 6 min when cooking at 600 degrees - very rarely do I have to push much past 6 min
    6. Use cornmeal on pizza peel to help slide pizza on to the pizza stone
    7. Before making pizza set out dough for a min of 2 hrs. to make more pliable when spreading out

Pizza is truly one of my favorite things to do on the Egg and I pretty much have it dialed now... In addition to the BBQ chicken I did last time I also did a pulled pork pizza, but that was gone in min by the kids...
    Thanks for the tips! Why only 600 degrees? My home oven goes to 550, so I was thinking that I'd like to get it up to 700 or more to get some serious neopolitan oven temps going that I can't do inside. Or do you run the risk of melting the thing down at those temps? Like I said, I've basically only done low n' slow and standard grilling on it so far.

The last time I did pizzas it was at something close to 800* and it may well have been a little too warm. Takes like 90 seconds to cook a pie and when it goes that quickly there's very little margin for error. Further, lifting the lid frequently makes temp regulation more challenging. It's all manageable but after a while the stone does start to get too hot which causes the crust to get super dark almost instantly. Been meaning to invite some friends over and have another go at it but the weather has been so crappy lastly that it just hasn't felt like the right time to want to hang out on the back deck.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Any thoughts on the Vision brand that Home Depot is selling?
    I had looked into them a while back, and iirc they had pretty good reviews overall. The seal was iffy, and there were issues with air leaking through the bottom vent and making it tough to get temps really low (~200) for smoking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke
    Cell phones are great in the backcountry. If you're injured, you can use them to play Tetris, which helps pass the time while waiting for cold embrace of Death to envelop you.

Me lighting the Egg for the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by farmer View Post
    I had looked into them a while back, and iirc they had pretty good reviews overall. The seal was iffy, and there were issues with air leaking through the bottom vent and making it tough to get temps really low (~200) for smoking.
    Yeah, that bottom vent apparatus worries me. Not too much cheaper, either.

The Vision brand is the one I posted about awhile ago in this thread, which Costco used to carry. Maybe they still do. I bought one at the end of a season clearance at Costco, for around $350. I'm happy with it. The bottom vent is rough (doesn't adjust well) , and I probably should look into doing something about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    The Vision brand is the one I posted about awhile ago in this thread, which Costco used to carry. Maybe they still do. I bought one at the end of a season clearance at Costco, for around $350. I'm happy with it. The bottom vent is rough (doesn't adjust well) , and I probably should look into doing something about it.
    The one I saw on the floor last week was this: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Vision-Gr...63?N=5yc1vZ8lo at 699, which I suspect is better than yours. That's 699 as shown, with cover. That vent "panel" on the lower front worries me as far as proper sealing and control. Found some good reviews on the web, but, you know..........sucker born by the minute and all that. But, that is half the price of a large egg and table. And, I don't have a family of big eaters to feed, like some of you guys, it seems (who eats all this stuff?). Just me, and maybe three more, at times.

Mine is this one
    http://www.visiongrills.com/grills/classic-b-series/

Came with stand, two level grate, two side tables, and cover.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

If you are spending 700 on a Vision, why not spend 800-900 on a BGE and get the lifetime warranty?

Pizza

Half cheese and pepperoni for the critters. Shrimp, Pancetta, Vidalia, Garlic, 6 cheese blend, and white sauce for me.
    Last edited by Beer Drinker; 05-25-2015 at 07:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Beer Drinker View Post
    If you are spending 700 on a Vision, why not spend 800-900 on a BGE and get the lifetime warranty?
    Wait, what? What's warrantied? Not breakage, right? I thought that, if you tip it over, sorry, your problem.

And the Vision price includes, I'm guessing, about three hundred in accessories, like the side tables, wheeled stand, cover, and lava stone. I think the electric starter, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Wait, what? What's warrantied? Not breakage, right? I thought that, if you tip it over, sorry, your problem.
    Cracking under regular use, is covered by warranty. I have a 20 year old Egg and the smoke ring has cracked. BGE will replace it, I just haven't done it yet.

These are Eggs only bought at retail dealers, not 2nd hand or from Costco.

Twenty years. Damn, that's a lot of beer.

Did some low-and-slow char siu pork shoulder on the egg today. Came out brilliant - kind of a dim sum/bbq hybrid.

A Memorial Day BBQ on my BGE:

I put the pork butt on the egg at 10:00 PM Sunday Night at 225 F

after 17 hours I pulled the pork butt and rested it for 4 hours. When I pulled it from the cooler and unwrapped it the bone pulled out clean.

After shredding

I made some baked beans on the Egg while the pork butt rested. The beans have some left over spare ribs from my previous smoke.

Nothing fancy, but it was a damn good meal. Good BBQ doesn't need BBQ sauce and this was good BBQ.

^^^ That bark is super dark. Is that what you're going for? Does it still taste meaty and delicious, or does it get bitter at all? Just curious - never seen a shoulder go quite that dark. Do you use a lot of sugar in your rub?

Also... cottage cheese? WTF?